The constant fear of the door basher

Man of Honour
I'd be amazed if you've gone thirty-five years without actually having any kind of damage to your car from other peoples doors, walking past and catching their bags on it etc etc

It's just an inevitable part of owning a car, all you can do is try and minimise how often it happens

Associate
This is my approach to avoiding door dents.
It's become a bit of a running joke with the family - they fall about laughing when we come back to find that a massive pick-up truck or people carrier has parked right next to it with nothing else around for miles.

Portsmouth:
4BYutG.jpg

Railway Car Park:
ltgdJd.jpg

GunWharf Quays:
z5UH8a.jpg

West Quay:
rCFZ2P.jpg

Commissario
Perhaps you've just never noticed? Sometimes you can't notice little dents, dings and scratches unless the light catches them in a certain way, or when you wash the car by hand.
Perhaps because we're all car enthusiasts in this sub-section, we notice them immediately?

I'd be amazed if you've gone thirty-five years without actually having any kind of damage to your car from other peoples doors, walking past and catching their bags on it etc etc

It's just an inevitable part of owning a car, all you can do is try and minimise how often it happens

I'm not blind and I care for my cars. No, I've never, ever had a ding like that.

Associate
Okay, so who else out there is going to admit to worrying about this? I'm not talking "ooh, I'll park out of the way". Oh no, I'm talking full lap of the car park, socially profiling the owner of every car, looking for the points where people are going to walk between cars, trying to find the prime spot, walking away from the parked car, then going back to move it because you've seen a better spot. Then still thinking an hour later "nah, I should have gone for that space between the two tidy cars rather than going for the end space and risking someone parking next to me".

I thought I was the only one!
The fear is real... There's something about cars that some people just don't care about.
I've been sat in my car and had people park up next to me, who proceed to open their door with a bang as it hits mine.
There's also some truly awful drivers out there who can't even park properly.

Associate
I've had 4 major dents put in to the last 2 cars I owned. Three of them were in a really nice 6th gen Toyota Celica. :mad:
Not one of them left a note or waited around or otherwise got in contact!
It seems that it's commonplace to hit and run.

Soldato
Last time I had this happen was at a super market near work.

I parked in a space with around 10+ other spaces free around me.

I went in, grabbed food, came out, sat in car to eat. Good little escape from site for 20mins.

An elderly couple arrive in a old Corsa, and proceed to park next to me.

I didn't park exactly well, was far closer to one side of the lines than the other.

The old chap opened his door, without even looking I might add, and to my horror a loud bang... Made me bloody jump.

The guy didn't even flinch, he didn't see me in the car glaring at him.

He then proceeded to walk to the shop with his wife.

I got out, saw the nicely new made dent on the doors "line", which will be impossible to remove without body shop work..

I called them back and asked him what he did, he denied all knowledge. I showed him the dent, he said his door wouldn't have done that. I asked him to open his car door, to check if it lined up, he refused.

I then informed him I would be contacting my insurance company and making a claim, he then told me that I couldn't do that as I don't own his car... (What???)

I then took a photo of his car, and at this point his wife told him to sort it and she walked off... Heh.

A few mins of him pleading innocent, he finally caved after opening his door and checking, low behold it was a perfect match.

He wanted to know what I wanted, I said my door fixed. He said how much, I said it's going to need body shop work as no dent man will fox that, he said he would pay and left me...

I waited as I didn't have his details, he came back 15 mins later with £250 cash and thrusted it at me along with some not so nice words.

It cost £180 to fix that dent at the bodyshop... £70 for the inconvenience.

Soldato
Always pay for the secured parking if you stay at a city centre hotel in France as the French park with a level of carelessness that would make a Russian gasp.

Citroen aren’t building their Cactus range for a laugh, it’s so city dweller’s cars don’t look like a prop from Fast & Furious umpteen after 6 months.

Associate
Last time I had this happen was at a super market near work.

I parked in a space with around 10+ other spaces free around me.

I went in, grabbed food, came out, sat in car to eat. Good little escape from site for 20mins.

An elderly couple arrive in a old Corsa, and proceed to park next to me.

I didn't park exactly well, was far closer to one side of the lines than the other.

The old chap opened his door, without even looking I might add, and to my horror a loud bang... Made me bloody jump.

The guy didn't even flinch, he didn't see me in the car glaring at him.

He then proceeded to walk to the shop with his wife.

I got out, saw the nicely new made dent on the doors "line", which will be impossible to remove without body shop work..

I called them back and asked him what he did, he denied all knowledge. I showed him the dent, he said his door wouldn't have done that. I asked him to open his car door, to check if it lined up, he refused.

I then informed him I would be contacting my insurance company and making a claim, he then told me that I couldn't do that as I don't own his car... (What???)

I then took a photo of his car, and at this point his wife told him to sort it and she walked off... Heh.

A few mins of him pleading innocent, he finally caved after opening his door and checking, low behold it was a perfect match.

He wanted to know what I wanted, I said my door fixed. He said how much, I said it's going to need body shop work as no dent man will fox that, he said he would pay and left me...

I waited as I didn't have his details, he came back 15 mins later with £250 cash and thrusted it at me along with some not so nice words.

It cost £180 to fix that dent at the bodyshop... £70 for the inconvenience.

Wow! Nice! What a story!
And seems perfectly fair to me!

Man of Honour
As mint as I try to keep my car, you simply cannot avoid marks and stuff. It's literally impossible. Might be a stone chip, might be someone walking past on the street and their bag or zipper rubs against the side by accident etc. It's simply impossible!

If you look at my car in pics or from a few feet away things look great. But get your face up close and the little signs of regular use will show :o

Back
Top Bottom