Long haul flights, tall peoples, leg rooms.

Soldato
Once I get on, I watch the cabin door like a hawk. As soon as it shuts, I'm up out my seat and moving to an empty row/emergency exit. Much better! You have to be quick though...

I do this with Ryanair & EasyJet flights, except I sit at the gate until I’m clearly the very last person on the plane and then get on and take my pick of where’s left haha.

Done it dozens of times and only been asked to move once.

Associate
It depends on leg length really.
I'm 6'2" and I usually use budget airlines and find my knees dig in the back of the seat in front.
I get extra leg room if available or pay for seats towards the front or very back of the plane and make sure I'm on the aisle.
It's bearable for a couple of hours only though.

Soldato
I'd love to do this but business/first or even premium economy sometimes is often thousands of pounds extra - just can't make my peace with that kind of extra expenses!

Yes, it's frighteningly expensive but I'm fortunate in that I can afford it, but only every few years; I wouldn't travel long-haul at all if I couldn't afford business class.

Don
Did a flight to Dominican on TC a few weeks back, first long haul econ in quite a while

Those Ryanair style thin concrete seats, no recline but that's a good thing in econ at times but the hardness of those seats was torture on way back

Caporegime
6"4 here and manage a few hours on easy jet fine enough in their standard seats, my knee does go i n to the isle a bit and can get bumped by people walking by but it's not uncomfortable to sit there.

on a long haul I'd probably go for the extra leg room.
I used to do the extra leg room seats on easy jet for a 2 hour flight but figured it's not really worth

Soldato
I flew to and from Japan recently. This annoying woman was on the same flight both ways somehow.

What annoyed me was that she was instantly asleep and slept through both flights...the entire thing! With my meager height of 6ft, I was deeply uncomfortable the whole time. I even had some diazepam from the doctor for the journey there, but it barely helped (and as it was my first time taking it I was quite cautious).

Soldato
I can only speak on behalf of my dad (I'm a short arse at 5ft 8). He's 6ft and a large build. He used to do a lot of overseas business trips and the only occasion he had issues with seating was when he flew KLM to Belgium. Only a short haul flight, but he hated it. Generally, most airlines now seem to take into account height / increased leg room.

Soldato
Its been a few years and unless things have changed recently it was fine in economy. I have more of an issue with trains and buses I literally cannot get both legs behind the seat in a bus i have to sit on the aisle side and have one leg sticking out in the aisle otherwise its anatomically impossible to get both legs behind the seat in front without breaking my kneecaps. Trains are scarcely any better I pick the seat with the table at least theres room underneath it.

Man of Honour
I'm only 5 foot 11 but I wouldn't want to be in standard seats on a lot of planes for longer flights :( done it on short haul and that was enough.

Soldato
I usually opt for Premium Economy when flying but only if the price is right, I'm 6'1 so not tall but still can get uncomfortable on longer flights. Last time I went to New York was with TC and me and my mate went for Premium Economy seating, after looking at Seat Guru we opted for the first row as there was no-one in front to recline and be an awkward bugger.

Its been a few years and unless things have changed recently it was fine in economy. I have more of an issue with trains and buses I literally cannot get both legs behind the seat in a bus i have to sit on the aisle side and have one leg sticking out in the aisle otherwise its anatomically impossible to get both legs behind the seat in front without breaking my kneecaps. Trains are scarcely any better I pick the seat with the table at least theres room underneath it.

I had that issue a few years ago when I had to travel on the train for work. Had to sit sideways on because my knees just wouldn't fit behind the chair in front. It was a Pacer mind you...

Soldato
6'4" here - I did a VA flight to Japan in Economy back in 2011, was a nightmare. Upgraded to Economy+ on the way back and the difference was night and day. Would definitely do it for anything over 2 hours

- GP

Soldato
6'2" ish. Hate flying for the discomfort. And theatres. glad i'm not fat or it would be even worse.

Only done long haul once, and it was ok on the way out as there were empty seats to stretch out onto. The return was packed, nighttime, can't sleep sitting up and, worse of all, they switched the movie off (for sleeping) so I had no entertainment for hours (pre-smartphones).

Soldato
Premium economy when I’m paying, business when someone else is.

I’m not that tall, but I like to have a little more wiggle/elbow room.

Flew Virgin PE to/from LA and JoBurg over the years and the seats and the service were well worth the extra £££ on ten hour flights.

Soldato
6'2" ish. Hate flying for the discomfort. And theatres. glad i'm not fat or it would be even worse.

Theatres can be a nightmare and sometimes cinema. We always book in advance and try and get the seats where we think there will be more room nothing worse than being physically wedged in a seat for 2 hours or more. Its torture.

Soldato
Took my best friend out to SF and he's 6'5". We went in Premium on VA, as I didn't want to put him through 11 hours of Economy. He said it was very comfy, although we were front row.

He flew economy about 8 years ago to Dominican and said he had a horrible time.

Back
Top Bottom