Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Soldato
55 mil for Wan Bissaka?

Absolutely insane. What in the world is you're academy doing when you have to spend that on a full back!? Especially one that hasnt exactly proven to be exceptional.

Englands 4th choice rb...55 mil. Absolutely insane

Permabanned
55 mil for Wan Bissaka?

Absolutely insane. What in the world is you're academy doing when you have to spend that on a full back!? Especially one that hasnt exactly proven to be exceptional.

He was excellent last season, one of the best RB's in the league. Whether or not that makes him worthwhile and if he can consistently perform remains to be seen.

Soldato
55 mil for Wan Bissaka?

Yep, it's just like us with Maguire, we don't want to sell him either so we can put any ridiculous price on him.

Soldato
55 mil for Wan Bissaka?

Wan Bissaka has some of the best stats of any full back in Europe. That strikes me as pretty exceptional.

Man of Honour
Wan-Bissaka is one of the best young right backs around. Expensive but every single signing from a Premier League side will be like this, most of them don't need to sell.

I'm more concerned that ultimately a new right back isn't going to matter, we need a big overhaul, and we currently have 2 expensive unhappy players who want to leave, in Lukaku and Pogba.

Don
Wan Bissaka has some of the best stats of any full back in Europe. That strikes me as pretty exceptional.
I actually think he's a very good full back but just out of curiosity, what are these stats you're talking about? I ask because I'm not sure how you can compare a full back playing for Palace to a full back playing in a side at the top end of the table. The roles of full backs at sides at the top of the table are completely different to your typical full back at a mid table or below side and this is the biggest question mark for me over Wan-Bissaka. He's a very solid defender and his pace makes him particularly good defending 1 v 1 situations but as yet he's shown nothing from an attacking point of view to give you any real confidence that he's suited to a side at the top end of the table. Ignoring comparisons with the likes of Alexander-Arnold, his passing stats are even a fair way short of Patrick van Aanholt's.

Soldato
I hope we're not making a huge error with Wan-Bissaka, if the £55m rumours prove to be true. It's an awful lot of money for a mostly still unproven full back. I understand the size of the fee is because Palace don't really want to let him go, plus another part of it is due to his age and the fact that if he continues to improve then you could be looking at someone who will occupy the right back spot for the next ten years, but it still represents a gamble. He's an exciting prospect and United definitely need a right back, but still it's a scary amount to spend on someone who has basically had one good year in the PL.

It sounds like Lukaku's move to Inter is edging closer. I can't say I'll be disappointed to see him go, he doesn't suit United and didn't look happy or interested for large parts of last season.

Soldato
What stats are these?

I know he has pretty much England out of the under 21s.

He has made more successful tackles than any other fullback in the top 5 leagues in Europe. He has had fewer players dribble past him than any other full back in the Premier League.

Many regard him as the best defensive full back in Europe at the moment. His offensive stats also compare favourably with the likes of Alexander-Arnold. Remember as well he is only 21 as well.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/p...-palace-tactical-analysis-analysis-statistics

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/03/08/aaron-wan-bissaka-became-effective-defender-europe/

Last edited:
Caporegime
He might not have mountains of assists but we have to remember the team he's playing for, it'd be interesting to see how he'd do in a more attack minded side where he will be involved in getting forward more than defending.

His defensive abilities aren't in question, he's one of the best full backs in the league in this respect.

He's also clinical when in front of goal as can be seen from the other night :p

Don
He might not have mountains of assists but we have to remember the team he's playing for, it'd be interesting to see how he'd do in a more attack minded side where he will be involved in getting forward more than defending.
This is true and equally why you can't look at stats like tackles made when comparing him to a full back at a top 6 side - he has far more opportunity to make tackles and far less opportunity to attack. That said, his passing/attacking stats don't fair well against his own teammates.

I don't know where the stats in @spudbynight's link have come from because whoscored stats for Wan-Bissaka are: 0.4 key passes per game, 0.3 crosses per game, 1 long pass per game and 0 through balls per game, with an average of 33.3 passes per game and total pass completion rate of 73%. van Aanholt's are: 1 key pass per game, 0.3 crosses per game, 1.9 long passes per game and 0.1 through balls per game with an average of 44.7 passes and total completion rate of nearly 80%. van Aanholt plays nearly twice as many attacking/difficult passes per game, 30% more passes yet still completes a higher percentage. You then have Trent who's a freak, playing 1.7 key passes per game, 2 crosses, 4 long passes and 0.1 through balls, averaging nearly 59 passes per game, with a completion rate of nearly 78% - he plays over 4.5 times more attacking or difficult passes per game and still completes 5% more of his overall passes than Wan-Bissaka, while playing nearly double the amount of passes too.

Man of Honour
‘In recent hours’, Spurs have launched their first bid of €60m for Ndombele. However, the Ligue 1 side are demanding €90m to part ways with the player.

It remains to be seen if Tottenham can convince Lyon to lower their demands or it they’ll submit an improved deal to secure Ndombele’s services.

Big price big, big expectations. If the rumours and the players' ratings are true, then this just might the player that Spurs need to get the best of out of players such as Erikson and Dele.

Caporegime
This is true and equally why you can't look at stats like tackles made when comparing him to a full back at a top 6 side - he has far more opportunity to make tackles and far less opportunity to attack. That said, his passing/attacking stats don't fair well against his own teammates.

I don't know where the stats in @spudbynight's link have come from because whoscored stats for Wan-Bissaka are: 0.4 key passes per game, 0.3 crosses per game, 1 long pass per game and 0 through balls per game, with an average of 33.3 passes per game and total pass completion rate of 73%. van Aanholt's are: 1 key pass per game, 0.3 crosses per game, 1.9 long passes per game and 0.1 through balls per game with an average of 44.7 passes and total completion rate of nearly 80%. van Aanholt plays nearly twice as many attacking/difficult passes per game, 30% more passes yet still completes a higher percentage. You then have Trent who's a freak, playing 1.7 key passes per game, 2 crosses, 4 long passes and 0.1 through balls, averaging nearly 59 passes per game, with a completion rate of nearly 78% - he plays over 4.5 times more attacking or difficult passes per game and still completes 5% more of his overall passes than Wan-Bissaka, while playing nearly double the amount of passes too.
All of which means Trent is worth more money than there are grains of sand in the world and stars in the sky.

Caporegime
Not hearing much about Arsenal and supposed signings...oh wait we haven’t got any money to spend :p.

On a somewhat serious note, been reading that we have offered Mustafi and Ozil up for sale but no one is interested in them. So unless a team or teams come in for the pair, looks likely we will stick with 2 utterly useless players :/.

Soldato
Not hearing much about Arsenal and supposed signings...oh wait we haven’t got any money to spend :p.

On a somewhat serious note, been reading that we have offered Mustafi and Ozil up for sale but no one is interested in them. So unless a team or teams come in for the pair, looks likely we will stick with 2 utterly useless players :/.

I kinda have the feeling we won't be signing anyone of any significance. Just a few kids.

Back
Top Bottom