Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I had the same a few weeks ago, I was out of contract on the 200 package and my price had crept up. I gave them a ring and they offered me 200 at a much lower price or 350 at a slightly lower price than I was paying so I went with the 350.

Thanks.
I just called them, they can't do 200 any cheaper but I could change to 350 for another couple of pounds, but the discount would end in October and go up to £47, then in December go up again to £52.

I will leave it for now and call them again in a few months, he said the deals change every month.

Soldato
Ever thought about purchasing your own router and putting hub3 in modem mode?
I considered it last night yeah, had a look online at a few.

Don't tend to have many issues with the SH3, it's just yesterday my phone and TV kept disconnecting from WiFi even though I still had internet access, was strange.

Soldato
Cool. Thanks. If I ever do live streaming on YouTube it will be at 720p or maybe 1080p at the most. I'll stick to my 20mbps plan at the moment and see how I get on. I'm not even sure how many videos I am going to make at the moment.

A lot of people on the 362/20 package got upgraded overnight with a reboot to 362/35. It happens area by area though.

Soldato
I considered it last night yeah, had a look online at a few.

Don't tend to have many issues with the SH3, it's just yesterday my phone and TV kept disconnecting from WiFi even though I still had internet access, was strange.

Or just switch off the WiFi on it and get a Access Point.

Soldato
Or just switch off the WiFi on it and get a Access Point.
My SH3 is in my games room upstairs and the TV is downstairs, access point is no good as that still needs to be connected to the router via ethernet.

I've bought some Netgear powerline adaptors to use downstairs, will see how I get on with those.

If it's no better then I'll just have to suck it up and feed cables through the walls to the room downstairs. :(

Last edited:
Associate
I just phoned up Virgin to inquire about a broadband-only upgrade as I was originally on the XXL package, the largest 4 years ago and at some point I was migrated over to the M200. Without asking, and after hinting at being with them for a lot of years, the guy said that I can move up to the top package for £1 extra a month.

Apparently I have to use the SH3 to get the new speed and he assures me that the hardware faults were down to a 'bad batch' and have all been sort now. A gentleman can only try, I suppose.

Associate
So for £1 more you've moved to m350?
Yes, he said it begins right away, but they have to send out a new hub to see any benefit.

Rubbish. It has a fairly weak single-core Puma 6 CPU which has caused problems.
I've put mine in "modem mode" and use my own router.
I figured from everything said on here that it's a poor piece of kit, I'll be looking at alternatives most likely. Is there a favourite for pairing with the SH3 in modem mode?

I'm mostly interested in getting the best speed possible over ethernet given I sometimes host dedicated servers for me and my mates.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rubbish. It has a fairly weak single-core Puma 6 CPU which has caused problems.
I've put mine in "modem mode" and use my own router.

But that didn't solve the issue as the hardware is still de-modulating and passing the traffic through it's fairly weak single-core CPU. The difference that would make would be like trying to bail the titanic out with a red bucket rather than a blue bucket.

Back
Top Bottom