How popular are nightclubs these days?

Man of Honour
As a Chelmsfordian, I can confirm we have lots of good pubs and bars :)

I haven't been to a proper night-club here since Dukes shut down! There was a big one opposite county hall called Evoke, but I never went to it.

Dukes shut? When did that happen? We used to occasionally track up to chelmsford from southend area to enjoy some dukes. Mind you that was a long time ago now.

Soldato
I went to every nightclub in Liverpool from 1988 to 2005 too many to mention it was the true rave scene. You would not believe how loud some clubs where, sweat falling from the ceiling from the bass.

My mate nearly lost his ear drum as we where off our heads and he stuck is head in bass bin ribbon speaker. :D

It was crazy and will never happen again.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
or more likely, a black market will be made for criminals to infest the country with along with continued Pub decline because people have better things to do than give spoon's money.

Again Daft, the infrastructure to buy a nice drink already exists, It is not a shady enterprise like drugs.

Soldato
I'm old enough to remember the 90s when we would go to nightclubs purely for the music and to dance non stop till the early hours! You would come out a complete sweaty mess, exhausted and ready to do it all again the next week. Making a fool of yourself and not taking it seriously was a thing, was all about the laughs. No smartphones, it was all about being in the moment and being lost and connected with your mates in the music. The closest I have ever been to a religious experience were some of those nights I think.

I have an incredible vinyl selection from that era but it actually makes me feel sad to listen to in some ways. I look up songs on YouTube and just love reading the comments about peoples memories.

As above, those days seem gone from the mainstream and it is's almost impossible to explain it to someone unless you wee there.

These days it seems very much about gin and cocktail bars, posing and posting on your phone.

Last edited:
Associate
Still tons of night's selling out all around London even on weeknights. It's not at the level it was in the late 90's - early 2000's but there is still a ridiculous amount of choices depending on musical taste.

Even niche genres like DNB regularly have sold out nights at the likes of Fabric, XOYO etc

Caporegime
Still tons of night's selling out all around London even on weeknights. It's not at the level it was in the late 90's - early 2000's but there is still a ridiculous amount of choices depending on musical taste.

Even niche genres like DNB regularly have sold out nights at the likes of Fabric, XOYO etc

Trance Sanctuary is easily the best night for people in to trance, better than anything put on at MoS, including Gallery.

Permabanned
I'm old enough to remember the 90s when we would go to nightclubs purely for the music and to dance non stop till the early hours! You would come out a complete sweaty mess, exhausted and ready to do it all again the next week. Making a fool of yourself and not taking it seriously was a thing, was all about the laughs. No smartphones, it was all about being in the moment and being lost and connected with your mates in the music. The closest I have ever been to a religious experience were some of those nights I think.

I have an incredible vinyl selection from that era but it actually makes me feel sad to listen to in some ways. I look up songs on YouTube and just love reading the comments about peoples memories.

As above, those days seem gone from the mainstream and it is's almost impossible to explain it to someone unless you wee there.

These days it seems very much about gin and cocktail bars, posing and posting on your phone.
Vinyl.
You have the makings of a good thread there. Old and new vinyl discussion.

Soldato

Nightclubs sold out? Never been into one or turned away from one thats sold out.

Soldato
Dance nights sell out all the time in Leeds. Yes, they are mainly not in nightclubs anymore but have all shifted to Warehouse 'clubs' Mint, Canal Mills, Beaver works etc.
Warehouse project in Manchester the nights always sell out (did last year, not been to any this year)
London, tickets sell quick for the big nights (or did when I went a few months ago) We went to Jon Hopkins 8-11pm then to some other random Halloween night until 6am. Again, heaving and good old traditional queues waiting to get in for at least an hour

Associate
Nightclubs sold out? Never been into one or turned away from one thats sold out.

Where do you live and what time do you go to clubs ? Do you go to properly promoted nights run by record labels etc or just random casual nights at a local club in your town featuring random djs no ones ever heard of ?

Plenty of events sell out prior to the date of the event and lots of clubs have a 1 out 1 in policy when they are at capacity. I've lost count of the amount of times I've queued up for hours outside Fabric over the years waiting for people to slowly leave, eventually getting in about 2am or whatever.

Last edited:
Soldato
Where do you live and what time do you go to clubs ? Do you go to properly promoted nights run by record labels etc or just random casual nights at a local club in your town featuring random djs no ones ever heard of ?

Plenty of events sell out prior to the date of the event and lots of clubs have a 1 out 1 in policy when they are at capacity. I've lost count of the amount of times I've queued up for hours outside Fabric over the years waiting for people to slowly leave, eventually getting in about 2am or whatever.

I havent been for about 8 years but just the local popular one here which is the Venue in New cross which everyone goes to between 18-25ish. Been to a fee other local ones as well and but they would never be sold out, no idea who the DJ would be.

Associate
I havent been for about 8 years but just the local popular one here which is the Venue in New cross which everyone goes to between 18-25ish. Been to a fee other local ones as well and but they would never be sold out, no idea who the DJ would be.

Ok, id imagine that's most peoples perception of going out to a local nightclub. They tend to be small clubs for local people, people don't tend to go to them specifically to see a DJ/artist, it's just something do on a friday night or whatever.

There's a huge difference between that type of clubbing and the nights that get held at well-established clubs in central London. The nights I go to the majority of the crowd will be going because they are fans of the record label/artist who are promoting/performing that night... it's more like a concert, people going primarily because they love the music/scene.

Different types of clubbing init.

Soldato
Ok, id imagine that's most peoples perception of going out to a local nightclub. They tend to be small clubs for local people, people don't tend to go to them specifically to see a DJ/artist, it's just something do on a friday night or whatever.

There's a huge difference between that type of clubbing and the nights that get held at well-established clubs in central London. The nights I go to the majority of the crowd will be going because they are fans of the record label/artist who are promoting/performing that night... it's more like a concert, people going primarily because they love the music/scene.

Different types of clubbing init.

Ah i see, didn’t know there was that type of clubbing scene but it’s not really my thing anyway. Interesting to know though.

Associate
That's the main difference. People go for artists or labels now.

We couldn't car less who sung it, who performed it or what label it was on.

It was all about the music oh and of course the drugs of the time. Coke wasn't a big thing, no aggressive idiots. Just lots of loved up folk getting along, having a blast and dancing the night away.

Associate
In my opinion but at least in Northampton and probably other Uni driven towns like Leicester for example, student night's which are always during week are probably the most you'll see clubs "busy" which will consist mostly people between age of 18-30 which are the Sixth form/College/Uni peeps are out and then the Friday/Saturday and bank holiday is when you will see local people out which the age range can vary.

Underage girls getting let in is still a thing unless they look super underage then of course they will get denied entry.
I've not been into my local town centre in the evening in years but the clubs are still around and probably the student nights is what keeping them alive.

Back
Top Bottom