**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
The go-to is obvs the Michelin PS4. Goodyear eagle AS5 seems to be well-liked by the forumers that have them...
Of course depends on how much you want to spend.

Looking at the Michelin's so will choose those I think.

I'm looking on black circle and when I enter my reg I'm faced with a list of options that seem to differ from what I've got fitted. I currently have 225 45 r17 W's fitted on front and rear and that's how the car came. However online I'm getting different size options for front and rear: https://imgur.com/a/5hZywCi

Might be a daft question but I've not found an answer through Google. Do I just order the 225 45's for all 4 or are different front and rear sizes recommended? First time doing tyres without driving it into a garage and letting them sort it! :D

Soldato
Looking at the Michelin's so will choose those I think.

I'm looking on black circle and when I enter my reg I'm faced with a list of options that seem to differ from what I've got fitted. I currently have 225 45 r17 W's fitted on front and rear and that's how the car came. However online I'm getting different size options for front and rear: https://imgur.com/a/5hZywCi

Might be a daft question but I've not found an answer through Google. Do I just order the 225 45's for all 4 or are different front and rear sizes recommended? First time doing tyres without driving it into a garage and letting them sort it! :D
So, being a Z4 you have different tyre widths front & back. Normal for a Z4 and almost always the case on most other BMWs these days (though not all).

Front tyres are 225/40 (that's 225mm wide and 40% of that width in side wall depth). The other letters & numbers are speed and load ratings. The W (in this case) is the speed rating, which is up to 168mph. If it's not much more expensive to go for higher (e.g. Y) then you may as well have a higher speed rated tyre. Y for example is rated to 186mph (this is the highest rating by the way). The numbers are load ratings and this, to some extent, determines the necessary tyre pressures. I believe that you should find the tyre size & other information detailed inside the drivers door on a black label about 150x100mm. Check here for the manufacturer's recommended size & rating if you want to be 100% sure.

Soldato
So, being a Z4 you have different tyre widths front & back. Normal for a Z4 and almost always the case on most other BMWs these days (though not all).

Front tyres are 225/40 (that's 225mm wide and 40% of that width in side wall depth). The other letters & numbers are speed and load ratings. The W (in this case) is the speed rating, which is up to 168mph. If it's not much more expensive to go for higher (e.g. Y) then you may as well have a higher speed rated tyre. Y for example is rated to 186mph (this is the highest rating by the way). The numbers are load ratings and this, to some extent, determines the necessary tyre pressures. I believe that you should find the tyre size & other information detailed inside the drivers door on a black label about 150x100mm. Check here for the manufacturer's recommended size & rating if you want to be 100% sure.

Thank you, I've just done some more googling and found that this is common on the Z4 (pays to use correct keywords)!

Problem now is of I get standard Michelin's across the car it's £320 fitted. If I'm looking at 225/45 front and 255/40 rear then it's coming in at £444.20... is the different tire config worth £120? The cost isnt an issue I'm just curious if I'd notice a difference. :eek::D

Soldato
Thank you, I've just done some more googling and found that this is common on the Z4 (pays to use correct keywords)!

Problem now is of I get standard Michelin's across the car it's £320 fitted. If I'm looking at 225/45 front and 255/40 rear then it's coming in at £444.20... is the different tire config worth £120? The cost isnt an issue I'm just curious if I'd notice a difference. :eek::D
With a narrower rear tyre you might notice the handling characteristics of the car change from what you're used to. Personally, I'd stick with what BMW intended and have the wider rear tyres.

Soldato
Just had my MOT done. Had the lower suspension arms replaced and the guy advised to get the wheels aligned. He said that Kwik Fit is actually good to get them done, but don't use them for anything else.
I have advisories that both front tyres are close to the limit (one of them on the limit), so I was thinking of getting Kwik Fit to replace those as well. Will they be ok or is it worth getting someone else to fit the tyres?

Also, which tyres should I go for? For a MK2 Ford Focus 1.6 so nothing special. I was thinking either the Primacy 4 or EfficientGrip Performance? I don't think this car is really worth having PS4's on them for £20 more per tyre? Unless they also last 1/3 longer as well.

Soldato
Just had my MOT done. Had the lower suspension arms replaced and the guy advised to get the wheels aligned. He said that Kwik Fit is actually good to get them done, but don't use them for anything else.
I have advisories that both front tyres are close to the limit (one of them on the limit), so I was thinking of getting Kwik Fit to replace those as well. Will they be ok or is it worth getting someone else to fit the tyres?

Also, which tyres should I go for? For a MK2 Ford Focus 1.6 so nothing special. I was thinking either the Primacy 4 or EfficientGrip Performance? I don't think this car is really worth having PS4's on them for £20 more per tyre? Unless they also last 1/3 longer as well.
I have fitted Primacy 4s all round for my Leon Mk3. No complaints so far and have already done 2.5k miles since.

Soldato
Great prices on ebay mytyres store at the moment - multibuy discounts plus an extra 20% off with code PURE20. Just got 4x 215/55/17 Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125 for £220. Saved about £80 over usual prices.

4x Conti Sport Contact 5s would only have been £300.

Soldato
Great prices on ebay mytyres store at the moment - multibuy discounts plus an extra 20% off with code PURE20. Just got 4x 215/55/17 Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125 for £220. Saved about £80 over usual prices.

4x Conti Sport Contact 5s would only have been £300.

How does the eBay store work? Do you they only deliver or does it work like their website where you can get them fitted at an approved garage?

Permabanned
Im needing to buy X4 225/40/18 tyres.

I have stumbled on Roadstone Eurovis Sport 04 which are rated B-A and 86% on tyrereview.

No ive always bought premium tyres. But at half the cost £165 for 4 than 340 for 4 Continental is it a no brainer?

Back
Top Bottom