• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

looking forward to seeing 9600k vs 3600x personally. specially at the same price using b450

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £435.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

$250 - into £197 odd plus VAT leaving at £230

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £439.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

should prove interesting :D but then everyone will be looking at the 8 and 12 cores which is a shame :(
How do you intend on getting an i5 9600 to work on a B450 AM4 board?

Associate
Anywhere i can get a translation of that site? :)

Googly translated :)

We are approaching the premiere of Ryzen 3000 processors and therefore AMDit organizes special events around the world, where it praises the capabilities of these CPUs. On one of them (in London), the company decided to reveal something about the overclocking potential offered by the Zen 2 CPUs, and Travis Kirsch of AMD revealed which of the company's new processors would be the best. Interestingly, it will not be any of the models from the highest Ryzen 9 series. "It seems to me that with our top models you will initially be quite limited in this regard," Krisch admitted, adding that their "Boost algorithms squeeze almost everything, what you can get, so maybe you can go off about 200 MHz. You can definitely get more from our 65 W models because their specification works at a lower power level. So you can turn up the processor, squeeze all the power out of it and of course get more space [on OC - note. ed.]. "

This 65-watt Ryzen 7 3700X is supposed to be the "crown jewel" in the field of twisting as part of the Ryzen 3000 series.

Thus, Ryzen 9 3900X and Ryzen 7 3800X, which TDP is 105 W, will probably not be the best choice for fans of overclocking processors, because their capabilities in this aspect can be very limited. This 65-watt Ryzen 7 3700X is supposed to be the "crown jewel" in this range, as part of the Ryzen 3000 series. It is worth emphasizing, however, that this information is based on preliminary tests of new processors and the Kirsch team did not have the final layouts in their laboratories long enough to fully analyze their OC potential and admitted that they may be "very surprised by what people will achieve with them". Already at the start we will get 6 new CPUs from this family, and probably soon AMD will expand the offer with another, no longer suffix X in the name, so we will have a lot of testing.

Ryzen 7 3700X is 65 W CPU whose clocks in Turbo mode reach 4.4 GHz. The higher model, that is Ryzen 7 3800X, is already 105 W processor with a maximum clock rate of 4.5 GHz. If the potential of the first one is confirmed, it is not difficult to imagine that this will overtake the higher model in terms of efficiency after proper treatment. The more so that both will be sold with 125 W Wraith Spire cooler, which provides power reserves, without problems dealing with heat generated even during their maximum load. Taking into account the price difference of 70 USD, Ryzen 7 3700X (329 USD) may turn out to be a very popular choice among players.

Really doesnt tell me anything except for the cooler used in the last paragraph.

Soldato
Googly translated :)

Really doesnt tell me anything except for the cooler used in the last paragraph.

Yeah i used Web Google Translate and had a read, interesting then if this is true, the 65w 3700x will be one of the better chips, the 3800x is actually an inferior chip, clocked higher thus requiring that 105w... 3900 / 3950x are both 2 chiplet chips, so again probably slightly inferior chips to the 3700x.

Looks like the 3700x then is going to be the "Gamers Choice" if the above is true that you may be able to push them a decent bit higher... definitely need to see reviews now.

Soldato
I am sure you'll be interested to hear, that competition at that end of the market is going to get weirder too, since from the info I have been given the 2700X is going to be <£199, the 2700 <£159 and the 2600 <£109, with the 2600x <£129, should see the prices from 1st July or maybe a day or two before apparently.
^^^@orbitalwalsh - i think we may have some recent build/spec advice we need to edit in the other forums...

Cheers for info, @Journey.

Associate
That feels almost unfair. Diminishing the advantage of the larger cache instead of saying that Ryzen has established a new base level of how large a cache should be.

I somewhat agree there. I wouldn't be surprised if the same occurrence is happening with Sunny Cove.

Geekbench single core scores....
8600K 5694
3800X 5406
3600X 5390

Not exactly mind blowing, although I'll probably still buy a 3700X.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Geekbench scores. It's about as worthless as CPU-Z lol.

Now I'm curious if AMD will publish the safe range for vcore. Also what sort of deg are you getting that high of volts.

Going by what we've seen so far, it will most likely be the same as Zen+. Precision Boost 2 is also likely to take the chip further than a manual overclock will.

[...] AMD's claim of 4.7Ghz boost for the 3950x could well be the all core boost under PBO and not the single core boost.

Those numbers have always been the Precision Boost 2 maximum frequencies, and it has always defined the best all-core turbo achievable. The problem is that most people usually fall 100-200 MHz below this figure due to their environment or setup.

Associate
Looks like the 3700x then is going to be the "Gamers Choice" if the above is true that you may be able to push them a decent bit higher... definitely need to see reviews now.

Im struggling to believe what anyone says before we see actual real benchmarks and users own testings.

From that link..

It is worth emphasizing, however, that this information is based on preliminary tests of new processors and the Kirsch team did not have the final layouts in their laboratories long enough to fully analyze their OC potential..

What do they even mean by that?

Not too long of a wait now though :)

Soldato
There'll be some decent coverage of that price bracket as it is the highest volume, well the 3600 is not the X.

I am sure you'll be interested to hear, that competition at that end of the market is going to get weirder too, since from the info I have been given the 2700X is going to be <£199, the 2700 <£159 and the 2600 <£109, with the 2600x <£129, should see the prices from 1st July or maybe a day or two before apparently.

I've no doubt that it will make some very interesting builds for low budgets, <£230 for a decent B450/2600/16GB DDR4 3000MHz, not a very hard sell at all. :)

Insane ! Specially if slapping in say Vega 56 or little Navi for 1440p gaming ! Savings should allow it and compete with next gen consoles :D

How do you intend on getting an i5 9600 to work on a B450 AM4 board?

Place holder for pricing of 3600/X chips

Associate
Precision Boost is just the more refined clockspeeds; the 25MHz increments.
PBO is a whole different beast, and has only previously come as standard on 2nd gen Threadripper.

Precision Boost is AMD's answer to Turbo Boost. The first iteration worked similarly to Turbo Boost with defined frequency tables. The second one, currently used, is a lot more flexible, altering frequencies with a 0.25 multiplier for finer control.

Precision Boost Overdrive is available on all Ryzen 2000 series processors with an "X" suffix, but you need an X470 board to 'activate' it. It will allow an extra 100 MHz on top of the maximum all-core frequency of Precision Boost, when the time presents itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom