What ND Filter(s)?

Soldato
Looking to try something new photography wise and wanting to have a go at some landscapes, more specifically long exposures incorporating the typical sea/water views.

So recommendations and info on ND filters wanted please, what strength, what brand, variable vs fixed or anything else worth considering?

FYI will be used on my Tamron lens which takes 67mm filters

Many thanks :)

Soldato
I have 3, 6 and 10 stop ND filters. I regret buying the 6, hardly ever use it. I use the 10 stop for sea/water as I like the effect. I use a LEE 100mm filter holder (which allows me to stack 2 ND filters), with a 105mm Formatt-Hitech Circular polariser mounted on the front, I have no problems with vignetting. My ND filters (and grads) are a mix of LEE/Formatt-Hitech 100mm ones, but if I were to be buying right now I would be looking at Breakthrough Photography's screw in XD4 filters, excellent by all accounts. It does appear that you get what you pay for with ND filters. Are you sure that you'll only use your Tamron that takes 67mm? If you are, and you don't see a need for a polariser, then I would look at a 10 stop screw in type. If you think you may use it on other lenses, then look up the size of the biggest lens you see yourself using, buy a screw in ND filter to fit that and then step up rings as necessary for your smaller lenses. If you like it and see yourself expanding into it, sell the 10 stop screw in and invest in a filter system.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not exactly true on the above 'you get what you pay for' though in general its fairly accurate unless you look around but I'm specifically referencing screw filters as I dont use the drop in stuff.
I used to use a £200 77mm B&W ND1000 until I dropped it in a lake and after a recommendation replaced it with a £35 ND1000 from SRB Photographic and there is literally no difference between them, I also bought an few other from them including an ND and a CP and honestly I'll never look anywhere else now.

OP don't get variable, the ones I've tried were all gash and produced horrible colour casting.

And

And

Associate
If I was just using a CPL or ND on its own I'd get a screw in. Otherwise there are various 100mm kits to look at. When you say long exposures of typical sea/water views what are you after as an end result?

Soldato
I bought a 9 or 10 strength Gobe and it didn't just darken photos but altered the colours too. I wanted a Hoya as have their UV filter but was pushed for time.

Associate
I have a few Cokin ND filters as I just can not warrent spending over £100 on a piece of glass as I just do not do enough landscape.

Would the general opion be that a good bag of filters would be 3 & 10 ND, 3 & 10 Soft Grad, and 4 & 10 hard Grad ! ?

Soldato
I have a few Cokin ND filters as I just can not warrent spending over £100 on a piece of glass as I just do not do enough landscape.

Would the general opion be that a good bag of filters would be 3 & 10 ND, 3 & 10 Soft Grad, and 4 & 10 hard Grad ! ?

What's your opinion of the Cokin? Do you have any examples you can share? :)

Associate
I bought some Camdiox filters, 3 and 10 stop (around £20-£30 each) on a recommendation from this forum if I recall. In my non scientific tests they make no noticeable difference to colour.

Not a pro, so can really see the point of anything more expensive.

Soldato
Bump. Headed to the seaside this weekend so thought I'd take my tripod and attempt some long-exposure seascapes.

The Gobe ND1000 and the Hoya (both 58mm) are very similar price on Amazon right now. Which would you recommend?

Soldato
Aw, no-one replied so I went with the Hoya. Judging purely on it's a more well-known brand, stocked in high street camera shops, and seems to usually retail at a lot higher pricer (even on Amazon). Anyhoo we'll give it a whirl. Hope it turns up today before I go on holiday tomorrow!

Now I need to figure out how to use it. Any good tutorials out there? :)

Man of Honour
I use Cokin P Series Full ND Filter Kit square filters which just drop in to an adaptor ring for the lens diameter. However, they have a slight magenta cast to them which apparently is typical of the brand.

Edit- half price at the moment.

Caporegime
Aw, no-one replied so I went with the Hoya. Judging purely on it's a more well-known brand, stocked in high street camera shops, and seems to usually retail at a lot higher pricer (even on Amazon). Anyhoo we'll give it a whirl. Hope it turns up today before I go on holiday tomorrow!

Now I need to figure out how to use it. Any good tutorials out there? :)

There really isn't much to it, put it on, let the camera meter. You can use Av mode and let the camera adjust the shutter speed. You can even use manual mode and then play with the balance between the 3 things (ISO, shutter speed and aperture) and review the images on screen. (try learn this with film! lol)

p.s. Hoya are fine, its just the cheap ebay plastic ones that you need to avoid.

Soldato
There really isn't much to it, put it on, let the camera meter. You can use Av mode and let the camera adjust the shutter speed. You can even use manual mode and then play with the balance between the 3 things (ISO, shutter speed and aperture) and review the images on screen. (try learn this with film! lol)
But how do you see/focus with the filter on? :)

I found some YT tutorial which suggested focussing, exposing on some sort of 'normal' settings, then putting the filter on and using an app like Exposure Calculator to account for your ND. I only tried a couple of times but seemed to work fine.

Caporegime
But how do you see/focus with the filter on? :)

I found some YT tutorial which suggested focussing, exposing on some sort of 'normal' settings, then putting the filter on and using an app like Exposure Calculator to account for your ND. I only tried a couple of times but seemed to work fine.

You can do that, although the few times i've used it is on sun sets so very bright and didn't need to but that would work too.

Back
Top Bottom