Samsung A70 6.7" 4500 no curved screen ~£400

Soldato
I pick the phone up with my left hand and use the left thumb most of the time. I'd say 9 times out of 10 or more it unlocks first time. I'm happy with that.

Oh - and battery life is phenomenal. I got about 60 hours out of the last charge.

I have also installed Open Camera, seems quite feature rich and includes RAW file saving options etc.

Thanks for the heads up on Open Camera as I've not heard of that app before. I was trialling Gcam as an alternative to the A70's stock camera, and have now installed Open Camera on reading your post. Early days, but it seems to handle darker scenarios better than the other 2 apps :) Will have to wait until the daytime for verdict on light scenarios and further general testing.

Soldato
GCam is the best, IMO, though its not perfect. It certainly seems to take the most natural photos and HDR+ is much better than anything the stock app or open camera can provide. There is no 'official' support for the A70 in GCam yet, though - the S10 configs seem the most complete but still missing support for full res photos, the wide angle camera on the back etc.

What case and protector did you use ?

Had the alarm issue again today, and I swiped it up and it worked.

It's an L K tempered glass protector. I had to re-scan my finger prints after applying it but other than that no real issues. Case was just this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QQNMB5B

Soldato
Soldato
Yes I used that protector as well. In reality they are probably all made in the same factory etc but yes they do the job. It would be nice if they were a mm wider but they're fine, just make sure they are aligned well with the screen.

Do you need one? I'd like to say no but I've scratched the screen, only minor granted, on just about every phone I've owned including my old S8 and tbh id rather scratch a screen protector than the screen itself. I'm under no illusion though - it's not going to protect the screen much if I drop it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't want to have a phone without a glass screen protector. No matter how careful I am there is always an odd day where I find a coin or something else metallic in the same pocket as my phone. I guarantee that without the protector that would be my first scratch. I also have grandchildren, they would be my second, third, fourth etc etc scratches.!
I find the glass size ok, I know that there is a small gap around the edge, but once my case is on that also adds a type of bezel to the edge of the phone, it is as protected as it is going to get.
For the cost of just over £6 for three they are a no brainer.

Our youngest daughter has a iPhone Xs, no case nor screen protector - you can tell....!!!!

Soldato
I was looking forward to getting one of these as an upgrade over my Nokia 7+ drove to EE as my mate can do me a F&F deal and for the first time in around 18 years i was declined the contract, even though i have home broadband with them, pretty annoyed tbh as according to Experian my score is 975 so could be that.

Soldato
^^^^^^ Could you not have bought it direct from Samsung with their £60 cash back..?
I also got £100 trade in for an Android phone, making it £209 altogether.

oops just re-read and you have not bought it but are suggesting it :)

I'll leave the above there, I think that the deal is still on.

Soldato
You can get the cashback no matter where you bought it.

I too paid £209. Got £100 trade in on a worthless almost 5 year old Android phone.

Soldato
Insane, just buy it outright for £370. Mobile phone contracts is a mug's game and has been for a few years. I only wised up this year.

It's only a mug's game if the total cost of the contract (including yearly CPI price increase) exceeds the price of buying the phone outright along with a SIM only deal of your choice.

One isn't always cheaper than the other and there have been some very good recent offers on both the Galaxy S10e and iPhone XR (for example), which you wouldn't have been able to beat buying the phone outright.

Caporegime
It's only a mug's game if the total cost of the contract (including yearly CPI price increase) exceeds the price of buying the phone outright along with a SIM only deal of your choice.

One isn't always cheaper than the other and there have been some very good recent offers on both the Galaxy S10e and iPhone XR (for example), which you wouldn't have been able to beat buying the phone outright.

The iPhone XR was a misprice and all the orders got cancelled. A few got phones and the company are demanding the phone back.

Soldato
The s10 offers weren't, however, but you get his point :p

My A70 is on contract as well, just because it's an upgrade and easier really. I wouldnt ever recommend upgrading but it worked for me this time. With the cost of the phone and the 60 quid cashback, it works out I'm paying about 14 quid a month for 30gb of internet on Three with go roam, go binge and hotspot. I could get that cheaper but not much and I needed the phone asap so i took the easy root :)

Last edited:
Soldato
^^^^^^ Could you not have bought it direct from Samsung with their £60 cash back..?
I also got £100 trade in for an Android phone, making it £209 altogether.

oops just re-read and you have not bought it but are suggesting it :)

I'll leave the above there, I think that the deal is still on.

i'm giving my daughter the old phone so can't. unless it's they will except that has a smashed screen !!

Just looked, they won't we do have an old S6 or something around that works though, could be an option.

I was getting it with 10gb pm for £23 a month on EE thanks to a mate using his FF code, I current pay £19 sim only on three, so the deal overall with the phone would work out pretty decent tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
My old San Francisco phone missed out being traded in due to it being unlocked and having a custom ROM. Glad anyway as I have fond memories of that one and might be useful as an mp3 player, being small.

Soldato
The old phone was a J1 Samsung, but the IMEI worked so I've now ordered it after a call to Barclays fraud department.

Do I get a package to send the trade in phone back to Samsung

Cheers for the tip also.

Back
Top Bottom