AMD x470, B450 motherboard on zen2

Caporegime
Sorry OP, please let us know if you want us to discuss this in a separate thread.

This is the download support page for Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (rev. 1.1):
https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-11#support-dl
Under BIOS section, the notes state that BIOS F40 supports 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs.

Make sure you go to the correct motherboard revision number. Above is for rev1.1, but there's also a rev1.0 which has a separate support page.

Be sure to follow the notes very carefully as each update may have different prerequisites before you perform the update. E.g. for F40 it states:
1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU
Thanks, I’ll take a look, but if I find it too complicated, I might just go for a 570 to make it easier.

Associate
That's the trouble with very small ITX cases, Hard to find a good low profile air cooler & at the height that fits & cools That CPU TDP Rating good.

Last edited:
Associate
holy seems a lot of people wanting to know about updating the bios for 3000 series many threads on the www,
Lists of motherboards that have the bios flash button that don't need a CPU to flash.
can be found

Steps you can take to get the bios flash ready for 3000 Series

1) Buy a Motherboard that as USB Flash button
2) Ask AMD if they still ship out Flash kits to borrow
3) Ask at you local Computer Repair shop if you have one
4) Ask OC UK before you purchase that board - Can't see them offering this service
5) Ask someone who can do this or someone they know

a lot of Asus & MSI have the bios flash button feature, No ITX motherboards have this

Otherwise a 1000 Series OR 2000 Series Ryzen CPU
or Just buy a X570 motherboard

Last edited:
Associate
holy seems a lot of people wanting to know about updating the bios for 3000 series many threads on the www,
Lists of motherboards that have the bios flash button that don't need a CPU to flash.
can be found

Steps you can take to get the bios flash ready for 3000 Series

1) Buy a Motherboard that as USB Flash button
2) Ask AMD if they still ship out Flash kits to borrow
3) Ask at you local Computer Repair shop if you have one
4) Ask OC UK before you purchase that board - Can't see them offering this service
5) Ask someone who can do this or someone they know

a lot of Asus & MSI have the bios flash button feature, No ITX motherboards have this

Otherwise a 1000 Series OR 2000 Series Ryzen CPU
or Just buy a X570 motherboard

X570 will be so expensive that people with Intel are going for the X470+cheapest CPU for upgrade (or USB + flash button, which is more 'risky' depending on the brand).

Last edited:
Associate
Yep seems like a lot going for X470, Flashing a bios, never had any trouble over 20 years & over 60 motherboards,
only trouble I have had in the past is the ryzen Gigabyte AX370 gaming 5 Dual bios motherboards, nothing to do with flashing just the bios bricks a lot on random & will switch to back up & if you don't re-flash
the main in time the backup goes bad = RMA

Always a Risk in flashing as you know , power cut while flashing or bad USB drive are 2 things
Knocking a drink over, pets

I did have a close call while flashing Bios once ,My cat wanted attention & jumped up on the top of the PC , Almost pressed the reset button.

Last edited:
Associate
Is the 'x470 Aorus Gaming 7' a good board as can get one for £180?
Gigabyte X470 GAMING 7, That be what I might get for a Full ATX build, true 10 phase, Top Audio, All the USBs you could want & LEDs with great Fan software to turn them off if needed,
Also got a VRM temp monitor in software.

X470 Gaming 7 seems fine ,
Heard of few people with Audio Trouble from the rear speaker, Realtek I think got a firmware update if that happens,
one person posted on this forum about it & people on the Gigabyte forum here
http://forum.gigabyte.us/board/37/am4

Also the Gaming 7 has a new revision 1.1 of the board that updates some things,

But yep I would go for it :)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm upgrading from my 4770k next week. Already got the case, PSU, M.2 coming in the mail. My plan is for either a 3600 or 3700x, depending on benchmarks and value.

I have fairly modest requirements for ports, and no desire/faith in PCI4. I usually like doing a small overclock, but nothing too advanced. I'm thinking about ordering a MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon in advance, as I can get it for just under £100.

Is it worth waiting to see proper performance in the older gen boards, or should we be pretty confident that everything will work well?

Associate
"MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC" Nice board for under £100 :) got the bios USB flash button on rear I/O :), all testing performance been done on the b450/x470 boards,
they all offer around the same in M.2 speed on a good brand, like Samsung.

motherboard Got a good 5 star rating from most people.
Great Audio built in & RGB on the side .

Last edited:
Soldato
Gigabyte X470 GAMING 7, That be what I might get for a Full ATX build, true 10 phase, Top Audio, All the USBs you could want & LEDs with great Fan software to turn them off if needed,
Also got a VRM temp monitor in software.

X470 Gaming 7 seems fine ,
Heard of few people with Audio Trouble from the rear speaker, Realtek I think got a firmware update if that happens,
one person posted on this forum about it & people on the Gigabyte forum here
http://forum.gigabyte.us/board/37/am4

Also the Gaming 7 has a new revision 1.1 of the board that updates some things,

But yep I would go for it :)

Gigabyte rep on here got custom made firmware done for it @GIGA-Man , gigabyte can also flash the board for yourselves etc

Is the 'x470 Aorus Gaming 7' a good board as can get one for £180?

good price , will undercut x570 Pro which is 10 phases at 40amp, Aorus 7 is 10 phases at 50amps

"MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC" Nice board for under £100 :) got the bios USB flash button on rear I/O :), all testing performance been done on the b450/x470 boards,

audio is okay, x570 and x470 boards plow it apart but extra costs like the Aorus 7

@Journey has mentioned these boards in threads and will sell well! but im expecting resellers to get greedy and bump up the pricing!

Single bios but people shouldn't screw it up if its plug and flash with a button....

Soldato
a lot of Asus & MSI have the bios flash button feature
Only Asus boards with it cost arm and both legs.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with/

Gigabyte X470 GAMING 7, That be what I might get for a Full ATX build, true 10 phase
It's 10 phase only in dividing current.
Controller operates with 5 phases and doublers only split input PWM signal into two output signals at half the frequency.
Datasheets of IR3598 and IR3599 have diagrams of their operation.

Associate

Thanks for the reply, this is really helpful!

Back
Top Bottom