• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Associate
Personally I'm ok with price so long as it delivers tangible performance and longevity.

Where I get really salty is high price with small improvements, and I feel like a consumer swimming in the Dead Sea atm

I bet Super is just going to be some marginal boost crap as some stop gap b4 7nm and which point we get the same old stuff on 7nm before anything actually new comes along. Nvidia are sandbagging big time imho and I am not happy about that

Caporegime
Nvidia can do what they want now, because it's consumers proved that they can do no wrong, even the people annoyed by the new prices will eventually buy it anyway.

Caporegime
Nvidia can do what they want now, because it's consumers proved that they can do no wrong, even the people annoyed by the new prices will eventually buy it anyway.
You can’t really do anything about it though. You can be annoyed, but at the end of the day, if you don’t pay the prices, you won’t get the performance. Catch 22.

Associate
I think AMD are too.
At the end of the day, while the 5700XT is a poor price, it's a better price/performance part than the 2070 and if it performs at parity it's a better buy.

Although both are equally poor price/performance parts when we remember the Vega 64/56 exist.

yeah but not at 4k, the problem at 4k is you wipe out all of the value options because you're left with one option that is over priced to the extreme

Caporegime
yeah but not at 4k, the problem at 4k is you wipe out all of the value options because you're left with one option that is over priced to the extreme

Agreed completely.

I've been doing some 4K gaming on my Vega 64 and I need more performance, my cheapest option is a 600 pound Vega VII with a 30% gain. Ridiculous.

If AMD had pushed Crossfire again with cheap prices I'd have gone two 5700XT's.

Caporegime
You can’t really do anything about it though. You can be annoyed, but at the end of the day, if you don’t pay the prices, you won’t get the performance. Catch 22.

That depends now doesn't it, are the games worth spending for in the first place, also seems to me that there's a rather hefty roadblock coming up with 5-3nm R&D and the rather physical one at 1nm (mind you the cost of that in R&D terms is offensive).

You're gonna be paying for that 5% as there will be no choice, or you could quit and just game on the cloud like Microsoft wants you to.

Associate

You can do one of three things:
- Sweat the asset i.e. don't upgrade until compelled such as hardware failure
- Go console
- just give up gaming and find a new hobby

Associate
You’ve got to jump in with two feet to the top of the stack. The 2080ti is more than capable don’t get me wrong, but Nvidia are catering to 4K like it’s still in its infancy. You can buy a decent 4K tv for around £400 down your local Curry’s. You’re then talking what, £800 for a GPU to get the best experience out of it with a bit of room to spare. Disproportionately expensive and inaccessible to most. The performance is there and manufacturing between the 2070, 2080 and 2080ti cards will be negligible so if Nvidia really were innovative, they’d have started a revolution in terms of accessibility to the current market.

I've got a decent LG 4K TV and bought an XboneX to try out 4K & HDR and I'm super impressed. OK it might not be 4K all the time but the HDR is great and to get that on a PC monitor I'm looking at >£600 (none of that low grade HDR crap). My monitor is 144hz freesync and 1440p and it's great but why would I spend £1100 on a GPU to run it? If the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett perform as well as hoped it could be the last nail in PC gaming because I'd rather buy a new console than pay the same money for a mid-range card. Each to their own and just my 2p's worth

Soldato
I've got a decent LG 4K TV and bought an XboneX to try out 4K & HDR and I'm super impressed. OK it might not be 4K all the time but the HDR is great and to get that on a PC monitor I'm looking at >£600 (none of that low grade HDR crap). My monitor is 144hz freesync and 1440p and it's great but why would I spend £1100 on a GPU to run it? If the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett perform as well as hoped it could be the last nail in PC gaming because I'd rather buy a new console than pay the same money for a mid-range card. Each to their own and just my 2p's worth
Because of complete 100% backwards compatability and mods....

Soldato
Just saw Techpowerup added RTX 2060 SUPER, RTX 2070 SUPER and RTX 2080 SUPER relative performance.

UGgsahQ.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2060-super.c3441

RTX 2060 SUPER is 4% slower than Radeon VII and RTX 2070. Overclock 10% will see RTX 2060 SUPER faster than Radeon VII and RTX 2070 at stock clock.

Gd184Zz.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2070-super.c3440

RTX 2070 SUPER is 4% faster than RTX 2080. Overclock 10% will see RTX 2070 SUPER get very close to RTX 2080 Ti at stock clock.

qJlPBoH.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2080-super.c3439

RTX 2080 SUPER is just 5% slower than RTX 2080 Ti. Overclock 10% will see RTX 2080 SUPER faster than RTX 2080 Ti at stock clock.

RTX SUPER reviews will be very interesting to read.

OcUK Staff
Yes, I agree, they are a business, with thousands of other products to keep sales ticking over. Making a stand could reduce prices on Graphics cards and in the end if the prices fall then more people will buy them which will give more profit with delivery and maybe better margins.

No we would have zero effect, all that would simply happen is the business we would have done would move to competitors, so in short NVIDIA still sell the same amount, the only loser would be OcUK and its customers having to shop elsewhere.
OcUK is also a small fish in a big ocean, even if entire Caseking group stop selling graphics, our group would be down by millions in revenue per year as we'd lose so many customers who buy other items as they'd simply shop elsewhere and then we'd lose sales on other items too.

Such a move would be the most stupid move ever as NVIDIA would still sell as many cards.

Associate
That would be a cartel like OPEC and I don't see any evidence of that, simply that Nvidia wants the eliminate the competition and charge what they like. Usually the competition model works driving down prices but not in this market for some reason presumably because gfx cards is a luxury market and people want the prestige brand and that means people don't want AMD even when ATI had the faster cards way back when Nvidia still outsold them by the bucketload. Nvidia are on top of their marketing and image branding in a way that AMD are not. If you want a Ferrari expect to pay top dollar etc.

Or more likely we'd end up in a situation like the CPU market where for years lack of competition lead to stagnation and the trickle feeding of tiny mostly incremental changes because people will still buy them regardless and all that innovation costs money.
There are only two players in this 'market' and for a long time neither has disrupted the cosy 'market' because its a duopoly
where the barriers to entry, patents and intellectual property rights mean it suits the two incumbents to work 'together' to slow progress.
Look at how the TV market works as an example of 'competition' and you'll see many more players with rapid advances and equally rapidly falling
prices. Big TVs are really cheap and far better than they used to be and there are dozens of manufacturers. The GPU and CPU markets are neither truly competitive nor markets as such.
Notice how long ago we had GPUs like the 9700 pro really shake up the market as did early Athlon 64s. Then the players realised they could string
this along more profitably (especially given rapid growth and development in emerging markets such as China/Vietnam etc) by taking their feet off the gas. That's why performance improvements of each iteration of product is single digit and we see glacial progress at ever inflating prices.
If car manufacturers could give you a car that did 90mpg and 160mph for £10000 how likely do you think it is they would do that tomorrow? Or in 10 years time?
Ans:They wouldn't because they want to ALL keep selling cars, petrol, seatbelts etc and to keep selling them ad infinitum. It's an industry that cares about keeping the industry going and nothing else at all apart from continuing to do it profitably.

Last edited:
Associate
I have the spare money to buy a RTX2080 every month but i wont pay the stupid price out of principle. Its an insult. GTX1080ti performance 2-3 years later for more money. Ridiculous! We've basically not budged in 3 years. You could argue the RTX2080ti has improvement but at what cost? Double/triple the previous gen costs. GPU market is a joke right now. Such a shame for PC gaming.

Really hope karma hits nvidia in the future.

For now my trusty GTX980ti still does a great job and I guess I really don't need an upgrade but nvidia & AMD (gpu side) are sucking out the last of my enthusiasm for pc gaming. Its a pity im such a fps fan. But ill still likely grab the next gen console. 80% performance for probably a 1/3 of the price of comparable pc. Lets be honest, consoles are much more efficient and the game prices seem to come down quicker to these days.

Last edited:
Associate
No we would have zero effect, all that would simply happen is the business we would have done would move to competitors, so in short NVIDIA still sell the same amount, the only loser would be OcUK and its customers having to shop elsewhere.
OcUK is also a small fish in a big ocean, even if entire Caseking group stop selling graphics, our group would be down by millions in revenue per year as we'd lose so many customers who buy other items as they'd simply shop elsewhere and then we'd lose sales on other items too.

Such a move would be the most stupid move ever as NVIDIA would still sell as many cards.

I know that OCUK would have zero effect if they did it by themselves, that is why I put "et al" as I didn't want to mention any competitors names on the OCUK forum, by et al if you don't know what it means, it means you and all the other graphics card suppliers. Hence why I put a "radical idea", as I know it will never happen, which proves it as you have said it would be the most stupid move ever, so it looks like the outlets are happy selling over priced graphics cards.

Last edited:
Associate

I have the spare money to buy a RTX2080 every month but i wont pay the stupid price out of principle. Its an insult. GTX1080ti performance 2-3 years later for more money. Ridiculous! We've basically not budged in 3 years. You could argue the RTX2080ti has improvement but at what cost? Double/triple the previous gen costs. GPU market is a joke right now. Such a shame for PC gaming.

Really hope karma hits nvidia in the future.

For now my trusty GTX980ti still does a great job and I guess I really don't need an upgrade but nvidia & AMD (gpu side) are sucking out the last of my enthusiasm for pc gaming. Its a pity im such a fps fan. But ill still likely grab the next gen console. 80% performance for probably a 1/3 of the price of comparable pc. Lets be honest, consoles are much more efficient and the game prices seem to come down quicker to these days.

Basically, I agree with lordhawkwind and jonnyG1982. I too can afford to upgrade but the expense doesn't represent good value for money to me.

4-5 years back I built my first gaming rig with a Titan and an Acer predator 4K monitor. That combo was £900+£550 respectively - for what was arguably bleeding edge gaming at the time. Incidentally the titan failed and I got my money back, with which I bought the newly released 980Ti. Such was the price at £550, I bought 2.

After 2 or 3 decent years of gaming, in Jan of 2018 I sold them, whilst they still had some residual value, in anticipation of the newly announced 4K 144Hz monitors.

Little did I know that Nvidia tax was going to make the 2080Ti and Rog PG27UQ combo cost approx £3200.

Whats thoroughly disappointing, is that in some titles my FPS counter was stating I was getting around 100FPS on SLI 980Ti's. I just couldn't display it through lack of display port 1.4 (or whatever is needed for 4K 144Hz).

Anyway, my laboured point and the reason I disagree with StriderX post, is that in two generations of NVidia GPUs, the top tier cards have more than doubled in price. In addition, the 'next gen' of monitors have been slow to market and extortionately priced. At £3200 for a bleeding edge set up, I simply choose not to invest.

I'm only 1 individual, but its 1 customer NVidia have lost.

Caporegime
Basically, I agree with lordhawkwind and jonnyG1982. I too can afford to upgrade but the expense doesn't represent good value for money to me.

4-5 years back I built my first gaming rig with a Titan and an Acer predator 4K monitor. That combo was £900+£550 respectively - for what was arguably bleeding edge gaming at the time. Incidentally the titan failed and I got my money back, with which I bought the newly released 980Ti. Such was the price at £550, I bought 2.

After 2 or 3 decent years of gaming, in Jan of 2018 I sold them, whilst they still had some residual value, in anticipation of the newly announced 4K 144Hz monitors.

Little did I know that Nvidia tax was going to make the 2080Ti and Rog PG27UQ combo cost approx £3200.

Whats thoroughly disappointing, is that in some titles my FPS counter was stating I was getting around 100FPS on SLI 980Ti's. I just couldn't display it through lack of display port 1.4 (or whatever is needed for 4K 144Hz).

Anyway, my laboured point and the reason I disagree with StriderX post, is that in two generations of NVidia GPUs, the top tier cards have more than doubled in price. In addition, the 'next gen' of monitors have been slow to market and extortionately priced. At £3200 for a bleeding edge set up, I simply choose not to invest.

I'm only 1 individual, but its 1 customer NVidia have lost.

We'll see over the year then, the fact is that people are still buying it, and AMD haven't shown up.

Associate
I've got the same feelings as a few people have stated. I've got a 980ti and can't justify the prices of any of the newer cards. I wouldn't mind a 4k monitor and a newer card but the prices are insane.

Like others have said I think I'll be seriously looking into a ps5 when they come out. Even the price of that and a 4k TV will be nowhere near the price of a new graphics card and 4k monitor that's gsync and 144hz.

Back
Top Bottom