This Business and Moment...

Man of Honour
**** me sideways, I'm managing 4 different offshore teams at the moment. One in Egypt, one in Bosnia & Herzegovina, and one in India. JEEEEESUS this is culturally a pain in my arse. It's actually painful trying to get them to communicate effectively and raise issues or questions when they have them. Not go off doing something completely wrong, because they can't work out what to do. Having most issues with India, I can manage the Egyptian team and the B&H team I think need to be better planners and managing the tickets, but will ask qs when then come up.

I don't envy you. As a gross generalisation a good thing about Egyptians in my experience is that they are fully capable of working things out for themselves, unlike some I've dealt with, but you do need to be quite direct with them - they won't generally thank you or respect you for being diplomatic, etc.

Soldato
AArrgh

We've had a bogus trip advisor review. We 99% believe its from an ex employee who tried to get their job back but was "unsuccessful"

I'm so annoyed as its blatant Bull

BS tripadvisor review said:
I'm not one of those people who only review here when want to complain and I do avoid leaving negative feedback if our time at a venue was not perfect due to some unforseen circumstances or a one off incident.

But THIS place is just awful! We often visit family in Southport and we like to check out local restaurants and bars as they are not as cramped as many are in London. We went to El Rincon on quite few occasions over the years and it has been, unfortunately, consistently mediocre at best (overall) with few promising signs every now and then, so we kept coming back hopeful to see the improvement. Wasted pottential, I'm afraid. Managers/supervisors come and go, some better some worse, the same with chefs - normal in hospitality, but here turnover is high so you never know what kind of service or food to expect. The most recent manageress that we met was rather sultry for an open to families, lunchtime vibe, and been more interested flirting with her staff members, on her phone, smoking outside or showing off her "assets" (skirt too short and cleavage too low for professional restaurant look, but great for nightclub).

In the past we were served food from microwave and lied to that it's prepared to order and not microwaved (when we could clearly see the chef using microwave to defrost a Spanish omlette!!!). Year later when we came back we had some ants in our drinks, and the staff (frustrated even more than us) said it happens regularly and confessed that just a week ago they were told by the owner to fish out the ants from all alcohol bottles and serve them like nothing happened!

The food on some occasions was ok or even good, but also sometimes just bad, in both cases overprized. Drinks mostly quite tasty, again depends who serves them. Coffee is undrinkable. Toilets are a constant pain because they more often don't work than they do - and the problem wasn't solved in years now. Decor hasn't changed much, we noticed bit splash of paint on walls last time we were in and few flags, some changes to the menu, but nothing major and nothing to cream at us that the place has been taken seriously.

This is not authentic Spanish restaurant if you paint some walls yellow or red and hang few flags. Music most of the times is not suitable for the place either. I can understand that playing the same music over and over again can be boring for the staff and I am not suggesting to play 2 CDs endlessly - but to not go for the other extreme and play some loud club music at 1pm. It really does not create a welcoming ambient for the guests. And Spanish music is so rich, they have pop music too if old classics are not to managers/owners liking.

And menu... Why THAI fishcakes in Spanish tapas bar? The whole menu looks like random bits put together, no consistency, no passion, no creativity, just boring. We got bored reading it, and even more so eating it. It all tastes like something cooked by an ordinary non-Spanish person who never chopped an onion and decided to be adventurous by baking cut potatoes and adding tomato sauce...

It really matters to have a great chef and don't buy cheap ingredients to create a manu that will make you feel excited when ordering your meal. Polite and happy staff would be an added bonus, here majority of waiters and waitresses we met were nice, some very professional, but you could tell they don't like working here. When we tried to ask them about it some would eventually tell you it all comes (what a surprise) from being unhappy with their employer. If you ever go to restaurant where waiting on staff looks like they're not bothered, trust me, its usually the management responsible for it - who wants to pretend a smile when you're not treated right and can't take a pride in what you're doing? Oh, and I should mention, the owner is an engineer, apparently Spanish cuisine enthusiast, and this is his little side thingy, so no wonder the bussiness here isn't blooming.

I have told TA twice now and my next step is legal action

And here is draft 1 of my response

Angry Matt said:
Thank you for your review and let me apologise that we failed yet again to meet your expectations.
How many visits have you made and you've been disappointed with each one but still came back for more.

On previous visits you've had ants in your drinks, Yet you still came back. Several times no less and only now have you left a bad review...Because you didn't like the menu.

I'm amazed that you visit so often that you can keep track of our staff turnover. However the team that we had when you visited hadn't really changed in over 9 months. Please don't also forget that ALL our staff are not on duty ALL the time. So whilst you may see a new face it could also be down to them having a day off.

So onto our Manageress. I'm not sure "He" would enjoy being described as sultry, And I'm fairly sure he's NEVER worn a skirt to work as that isn't part of our uniform and his legs are quite hairy.

So lets move onto the décor. You say your visit was April.. I'll assume you mean April 2019. Red and Yellow with flags right. Are you sure it was April. As we had decorated and removed ALL the decorative flags and Spanish paraphernalia well before April.

Toilets: Constant pain? The Toilets were upgraded around 18 months ago and we've not had a single issue ever since.

I do however like your "baking cut potatoes and adding tomato sauce" Yes that's a traditional Spanish dish called Patatas bravas. Had you read our menu you would have seen that whilst we do still serve a number of Tapa dishes we have also added other small plates. We have even changed the heading on the menu to Tapas bar & Street Food.

I would ask that you let me know the exact date of your visit so I can check the Rota to see who was on duty that day and so I can review our CCTV to also check that they were wearing the correct uniform

We can accept when we've not met expectations. Yes its a down heartening when everybody works so hard and something doesn't go to plan and negative or not so positive reviews help us be better. However the rules of Trip Advisor are that whilst you can review on your experience this experience and review must be factually correct.

There are a number of factually incorrect comments and lies and we may be passing this onto our legal team.

I've not yet added the fact that I bought the place in Dec and the owner is not an engineer. The old owner is but not me.

As for the staff not being happy. May have been true before october 2018 but since them knowing i was buying the place they were made up. Oh did I mention my son has worked there for nearly a year..

AAARRRGGH I'm raging....that may come across in my response...lol

Help me put the Hulk back inside the calm dude..

Last edited:
Soldato
Forgot to update on my progress around the new role I was interviewing for... I got the job and start in July.

It's a technology strategy role, working across Public Sector here in Scotland. Can't wait to get started!

taB

taB

Associate
AArrgh

We've had a bogus trip advisor review. We 99% believe its from an ex employee who tried to get their job back but was "unsuccessful"

I'm so annoyed as its blatant Bull

I have told TA twice now and my next step is legal action

And here is draft 1 of my response

I've not yet added the fact that I bought the place in Dec and the owner is not an engineer. The old owner is but not me.

As for the staff not being happy. May have been true before october 2018 but since them knowing i was buying the place they were made up. Oh did I mention my son has worked there for nearly a year..

AAARRRGGH I'm raging....that may come across in my response...lol

Help me put the Hulk back inside the calm dude..

That sucks. Have you listened to the Night Cap podcast by Paul Foster. He absolutely loathes trip advisor and it's an entertaining listen!

Caporegime
Anyone got a link to some good SCCM resources/training?

I need to get some proper training for some of the upcoming projects in my companies pipeline and I am a total new starter to the apps packaging world.

Don't do it :p

Jokes aside, check here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/
Also this guy is good https://www.anoopcnair.com/sccm/
I also strongly recommend this book. https://www.amazon.co.uk/System-Con...ger+unleashed&qid=1561030370&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I would recommend setting yourself up a virtual lab and set an environment up from scratch. You will come across and learn how to fix a lot of common issues. Follow the MS Technet guidelines and best practices along with supported configurations and you'll be good to go :) - oh, and get used to reading log files :p

One last note, for the love of god once your environment is up and running ensure you enable the SQL Database backup maintenance task from within the Config Manager console and ensure its working by reviwing the smbackup log file! If it all goes pete tong you'll be glad you did it :p

I work for Microsoft as a Config Manager & WSUS Support Engineer. Time is a rare comodity for me these days but if I can help with any particulars please feel free to drop me a messsage :)

And scene :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Small update; after a 30min call with the team lead last week, I've just been notified that I'm through to the final stage and a call setup for next week.
Time to brush up on some networking knowledge that I picked up along the way :D
Just passed the CompTIA Sec+ this morning! Over the moon :D
Also have a stage 1 phone interview with a security firm opening offices locally. The wheels seem to have started rolling.

Soldato

I don't think i'd worry about it too much. Any logical person would completely ignore it as it's surrounded by other 5 star reviews. I think the only response needs to be that you took over in October 18 and that any comments on past visits are unfortunate but you're working to turn around the reputation, then maybe address a few others.

I'd maybe address the one about the flooded bar area though lower down as i'd probably put more stock in that as a customer, the one you've quoted just reads as a nut job!

Funnily enough we were in Southport at the weekend and i'd mentioned to my wife i'd read a post off a member on here (think it was in La Cuisine a while back), we contemplated heading in but our walk was cut short when the heavens opened (after a lovely bit of sunshine earlier on)

Out of interest do you allow dogs (small, non barky ones)

Soldato
I don't think i'd worry about it too much. Any logical person would completely ignore it as it's surrounded by other 5 star reviews. I think the only response needs to be that you took over in October 18 and that any comments on past visits are unfortunate but you're working to turn around the reputation, then maybe address a few others.

I'd maybe address the one about the flooded bar area though lower down as i'd probably put more stock in that as a customer, the one you've quoted just reads as a nut job!

Funnily enough we were in Southport at the weekend and i'd mentioned to my wife i'd read a post off a member on here (think it was in La Cuisine a while back), we contemplated heading in but our walk was cut short when the heavens opened (after a lovely bit of sunshine earlier on)

Out of interest do you allow dogs (small, non barky ones)

We dont allow dogs in the underground restaurant but non barky ones are more than welcome in The Pavilion upstairs.

Underboss
Don't do it :p

Jokes aside, check here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/
Also this guy is good https://www.anoopcnair.com/sccm/
I also strongly recommend this book. https://www.amazon.co.uk/System-Con...ger+unleashed&qid=1561030370&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I would recommend setting yourself up a virtual lab and set an environment up from scratch. You will come across and learn how to fix a lot of common issues. Follow the MS Technet guidelines and best practices along with supported configurations and you'll be good to go :) - oh, and get used to reading log files :p

One last note, for the love of god once your environment is up and running ensure you enable the SQL Database backup maintenance task from within the Config Manager console and ensure its working by reviwing the smbackup log file! If it all goes pete tong you'll be glad you did it :p

I work for Microsoft as a Config Manager & WSUS Support Engineer. Time is a rare comodity for me these days but if I can help with any particulars please feel free to drop me a messsage :)

And scene :p

Man that is a solid post, I might have to keep you on retainer!!

I've been looking at logs all day, I can barely see straight now - tomorrow is a test deployment of a package to a server...so yeah I have no time to waste really.

Ill check out those links tonight, thanks Phate! I have a feeling this will be far from the last time we talk.

;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Man that is a solid post, I might have to keep you on retainer!!

I've been looking at logs all day, I can barely see straight now - tomorrow is a test deployment of a package to a server...so yeah I have no time to waste really.

Ill check out those links tonight, thanks Phate! I have a feeling this will be far from the last time we talk.

;)
Package or Application? :p

Gotta be clear here! xD

Underboss
Package or Application? :p

Gotta be clear here! xD

Ah yeah sorry it's an application, I'm still getting used to the terminology, the first couple of weeks felt like I was in a different continent!

It's an .msi application for a content manager software so application at the moment, but we are going to add it into a deployment package with some custom software using task sequencer, all of which I need to learn, test, create and deploy.

It's taken me a week to figure out how to deploy SCCM onto a server and create a new deployment group because it's not something I'm about to rush.

SCCM is a great piece of software and although I enjoy being thrown in at the deep end I'd prefer some form of training prior to deploying site wide, sadly it's youtube and the microsoft sccm docs for now lol

Soldato
Learn to love good old CMTrace my friend. My introduction to SCCM was my first day at a company and the day before a tech had deployed a mandatory OSD advertisement from their 2007 box and installed home premium on 3500 endpoints - that was fun.

Caporegime
Ah yeah sorry it's an application, I'm still getting used to the terminology, the first couple of weeks felt like I was in a different continent!

It's an .msi application for a content manager software so application at the moment, but we are going to add it into a deployment package with some custom software using task sequencer, all of which I need to learn, test, create and deploy.

It's taken me a week to figure out how to deploy SCCM onto a server and create a new deployment group because it's not something I'm about to rush.

SCCM is a great piece of software and although I enjoy being thrown in at the deep end I'd prefer some form of training prior to deploying site wide, sadly it's youtube and the microsoft sccm docs for now lol
Yeah it's a pretty daunting bit of kit as it's so vast. Suddenly you need to know server & desktop infrastructure, packaging tech, WSUS, SQL, Server OS & Windows, servicing, reporting, WMI...yeah it goes on. So it's daunting.

It'll become second nature once it's cut into you :D

As I say, drop me a message anytime. I'm pretty swamped a lot of the time but I reply when I can.

Soldato
I was fortunate enough to get SCCM training 2 years ago on a 3 day course but I learnt more myself doing it in VM's.

Shame I never got to use it properly at work apart from application packaging and deployment.

Soldato
I should have been clear... @Phate is on retainer for my customer cases only... I am going to have to send you an invoice for premier support @JOSH

Speaking of which... depending on the size of the org you work at, consider what support levels you have in place from Microsoft.

Man of Honour
Passed my Salesforce Certified Administrator exam, hallelujah. Definitely the toughest multiple choice exam I've ever sat, so I'm really happy to have passed it first time.

I did the exam proctored online, Kryterion Sentinel software stops you from using your machine for anything else and a webcam ensures you are not cheating from external sources. I found the proctoring quite annoying - the software refused to recognise the webcam, luckily I had a spare for a last minute change. After this, the software crashed as I submitted my last answer and the connection to Kryterion dropped. Luckily their tech support was able to restore my session but it took quite a lot of faffing about and several log in/log out routines before I could continue.

Stress I didn't need! But at least I got the result I wanted. It's a tough exam, the questions are often curiously worded and there are usually more than one answer that could be right. Plenty of multiple select answers too just to spice things up. Lots of people fail it first time and quite a few fail it second time.

Now I need to choose what to certify in next...

Associate
Just waiting to hear back about a job that I want. I should hear over the next couple of days so crossing things, if I don't get it no big deal. Need to book my T-SQL exam just to get it done, that will give me the MCSA in SQL Server Development to top off my other SQL DBA certs. Then if still out of work start training in something on the side, probably the BI/SSIS/SSRS side of things.

Back
Top Bottom