Today my 7 year old daughter got told off at school for...

Soldato
Firing folded over paperclips from elastic bands was our thing. Bloody lethal things those were. :D

Back in the day, I made a sort of crossbow using a clip board, rubber bands, and bits of bent coat hanger.

It was absolutely bloody lethal, the bolts flew right though drinks cans without stopping.

Certainly capable of actually killing in hindsight.

:/

Soldato
They are shoes and I work in a call centre. My feet at all times are under a desk when not in the business. When I say white I mean light shoes not pure white. They are just shoes. Crying over spilt milk comes to mind. I did go home though and followed the orders of the gods.

Your words are pitiful in the absence of a picture of said "light shoes". We need visual context to accompany this, quite frankly, unfathomable version of events.

Permabanned
That BMI calculator says at nearly 6ft my healthy weight would be from 9st 6lb - 12st 6lb.

I was 11st 6 lbs for many years till I gave up the fags, and I was deathly skinny with legs like pipe cleaners, I quite like
being a bit beefy now.

Soldato
How about Foxes and hounds? I used to run that as warm up when coaching just 10 years ago. Start with one or two people as hounds, the rest mostly are foxes. Have them hang a bib or flag out of the wait band on their shorts/skirt. The hounds catch the fox by capturing the bib. The fox then turns into a hound.

Permabanned
My son has entered fifth year at secondary school. He's hoping to be a history teacher so he's picked the relevant subjects for the universities he hopes to go to. Normally around here most schools allow their higher study students to have free or study periods outwith their chosen subjects.
Not my kid's school, he's been told he has to take PE and has no choice in the matter. He's a young adult and it should be his choice. It's another example of someone else forcing their values on others. I don't think more PE is a bad thing but I believe in choice more. It really peeved me.

Soldato
OP
Forgot about this thread... we've had no more issues since however, my son starts there in Sept so we've been in for taster hours with him.

On his first one they were doing PE in the playground... Bulldog :D lol

Associate
We used to set fire to each other's bodies using small plastic petrol containers used for for filling up cigarette lighters whilst pretending we were stuntmen. Bundle sounds typically southern our headmaster has his skull fractured by an ex pupil during a school versus school fight.

Soldato
Tell her to ignore the stupid rules. They will never justify any real punishment for holding hands and clapping lol

It's the softy teachers who need a telling off. I'm guessing they are quite young and part of generation ****flake. Get angry and properly chew them out, make them cry. They clearly need introducing to the real world.

In my adult life no one has ever shouted at me, chewed me out, made me cry in terror. I'm not sure how this would benefit anyone. Unless the real world you live in is a **** hole, in which case I guess you're part of the problem.

My school used to do bonkers stuff like sailing and judo. If you think judo was the dangerous one, you want to see what happens when you sail a racing dinghy at speed across a reservoir in a thunderstorm. Oh, and the time we took a half a dozen dinghys through Harwich harbour, the busiest container shipping port in the UK.

Today's health and safety would have a heart attack over some of the stuff we did in boats.

I did judo in primary school and then outside school when I was a bit older. I used to fracture my toe every few weeks.

We did have sailing at school and it was great. Good excuse just to muck around, but I also did it outside of school to a fairly decent level. Generally, it's not dangerous. The worst thing that could usually happen is that you didn't duck when the boom came over, and it knocked you on the head and maybe you fell in the water, but that's about it.

Me and a friend both thought we'd tied our boat onto a trolley one day, though, and of course neither of us did. Bear in mind they're a few '00 kgs, as we started lowering it down the steep slope into the reservoir it came off the trolley and absolutely rocketed down at this guy. Thank **** he managed to jump out of the way because he would have broken more than a few bones if he'd been hit.

Safe to say, we tied our boat on after that...

Last edited:
Soldato
We did man hunt at cubs/scouts too.
I did this too and that was in the 00s, it's a very modern thing where these things are being banned.

We used to do a 'widegame' up on Ashdown Forest at night where the scouts would have to make it from A to B whilst being 'hunted' by older people. Was fantastic fun and definitely ended with a few people getting minor injuries (scrapes etc). No idea whether it'd still be acceptable these days.

I did feel the health and safety bits creeping in towards the end of my time there though.

Permabanned
They are shoes and I work in a call centre. My feet at all times are under a desk when not in the business. When I say white I mean light shoes not pure white. They are just shoes. Crying over spilt milk comes to mind. I did go home though and followed the orders of the gods.
Didn't anyone have some black polish?

Man of Honour
In my adult life no one has ever shouted at me, chewed me out, made me cry in terror. I'm not sure how this would benefit anyone. Unless the real world you live in is a **** hole, in which case I guess you're part of the problem.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
I have no desire to become a belligerent in WW3 here, or to dictate to anyone that they are right or wrong, but I think that I can see where Nasher was coming from.
I don’t think for one minute he was advocating REALLY making the teachers cry, he was probably over accentuating what he thought should be any parent’s reaction to this tosh.
My kids are adults now, and my youngest grandkid is 11, so this has never affected me, or my grandkids, but if it had, I think that either I, or my sons, would have gone nuts, and have torn the offending teacher(s) a new one.
I think that “making them cry” is a euphemism, or verbal evasion, for ensuring that the person(s) you are heaping opprobrium on, is totally aware of the depth of your feeling on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom