Family cat has died. We are devastated. :(

Caporegime
Today we lost our beloved Max. He was at least 13 years old.

IMG_20180109_035227_edited-L.jpg

We first knew Max as an anonymous stray who began sneaking inside to raid our kitchen bin late at night about 8 ½ years ago.

By 2016 he had become a more conventional visitor, and my daughter (aged at 7 the time) surprised us all by re-domesticating him.

It was she who gave him his name, and from that point onward she was his dearest friend. If he wasn't sleeping in the study or the lounge, he could be found on her bed.

We formally adopted Max, microchipped and vaccinated him, and did our best to pacify Carmen (my wife's cat) who was not wildly thrilled with the latest addition to the family.

Max was a large and powerful cat with a history of fighting, but in our home he was always a gentle giant, never raising a paw in anger to any of us (even Carmen, who accepted him eventually!)

IMG_20190329_124819_edited-L.jpg

^^ Max with Carmen.

In 2017 Max proudly introduced us to his girlfriend (my daughter named her Figaroo) and their three kittens (Scratchy, Starry, and Tabitha). He led them directly to our back door, invited them in, and assumed we would take care of the rest—which we did.

IMG_20171226_191152_edited-L.jpg

^^ Max with Figaroo.

Max proved himself a loving and considerate father. At feeding time he would not eat until Figaroo had finished, and he always enjoyed snuggling with the kittens.

IMG_20171226_144831_edited-L.jpg

^^ Max with his kittens.

Once they were weaned, we gave away Figaroo and two of her children, but Starry stayed with us and became my daughter's second cat. It was an easy decision to make, since he was also Max's favourite.

IMG_20181106_092142_edited-L.jpg

^^ Max with Starry.

Towards the end of his life Max exhibited symptoms of feline hyperesthesia syndrome.

During these moments he was completely unapproachable by anyone except my daughter, whose touch he would accept even in the midst of a seizure.

Max was loving and affectionate. He brought a quiet calm to the household, and we will miss him terribly.

IMG_20190621_170534_edited-L.jpg

Sgarrista
Commissario
So sorry for your loss :(

We too have ended up adopting several stray yet friendly cats over the years, and when they do eventually go it is still just as sad.

Soldato
RIP Max. It's amazing how much pets can touch your heart.

Our cat, Charlie, was about 18 when she died. I managed to say goodbye to her a couple of days before she died as it was obvious she was on her way out. That was so tough, poor kitty.

Soldato
Sounds like he had a great life with you, and a good innings (maybe a really good one!). People say that cats don't make good companions, but I've found the opposite to be true, and know how sad it is to lose one you are close to. All the best to you and your family, RIP Max.

Soldato
Sorry for your loss @Evangelion. My cat got to 19/20 (not sure) years and during her last year she would go though cycles... 2-3 weeks fine, 1 week sick and barely eating. After many vets trips we agreed the best thing was to let her rest. This was earlier this year. She was part of my childhood, she was in my life since I was a child (5). And even now 6 months on when I go round my mums I still instinctively look for her when I come in the door and then I remember she's not there any more.

Sounds like you gave your cat a wonderful life.

RIP.

Soldato
We had a 18 year old Siamese, that joined us when I was 5 or so.. always expecting her to appear or call when visiting my parents. She had a stroke when 2 due to anaesthetic getting her teeth cleaned, and kittens too. My mum was feeding her through a pipette first week, she then recovered to walk around the house only by walking propped up against the wall.. finally recovering complete except to be "deaf" when it suited her lol. Always the first when you were feeling down to give company. Hated the hoover except on hot days when she loved being hoovered on the belly. She even came along on holiday with us. Always demanded to be fed in the dining room if we were eating there too. In the last year she had steroids to keep her weight up, but eventually we had to let her go.

I feel your pain.

Back
Top Bottom