*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Got one of these for my birthday last year but still not used that. Will have to give it a go soon, let me know if you have some success with yours.

I'll post back with pictures. I am quite excited to use it but apparently you have to be careful with it. Not heat it too quickly or let it absorb water when cold, as it will be prone to cracking

Clean it with a damp cloth when still fairly warm/hot or a dry/oily cloth when cold. Hygiene isn't really an issue since it's made of salt.

Not the end of the world if it does break, you end up with a ton of good salt for the grinder/grater :p

fez

fez

Caporegime
Did a spatchcock chicken on the Kamado this weekend and it was delicious. Lovely smokey flavour, super juicy and still tasted amazing the next day as leftovers. I'm excited to try different things on it now. Pizza seems like it might be an interesting thing to try next.

Soldato
Guys, i am going to be roasting some stuff on my cobb BBQs at the end of the month when i go camping and am looking to achieve hot oven temperatures.

Normally heat for stuff like crackling is not a problem except i have ran out of my usual coal briques and they are sold out globally until the end of summer.

I need something that burns both hot and long. Looking for a burn time of several hours. The coal basket is fairly small as they are compact travel BBQs, so we are talking 12-15 briquettes max at a time.

A lot of people recommending heat beads but they are hard to find. I can order them but ordering coal is a bit hit and miss imo with how they have been stored and transported. I have bought some Weber briquettes but i hear they dont get too hot and are aimed at low and slow cooking.

Any recommendations?

I am hoping if i prepare by pre-salting the skin and drying, crackling will be possible at more forgivable temperatures but if i can secure a safer fuel, i will.

Associate
You might be alright with the Weber briquettes. Isn’t the cobb insulated?

You could always take a bit of lumpwood charcoal as well so if the temps are a bit low you can put some of that on mid cook to ramp the temp up a bit.

Soldato
You might be alright with the Weber briquettes. Isn’t the cobb insulated?

You could always take a bit of lumpwood charcoal as well so if the temps are a bit low you can put some of that on mid cook to ramp the temp up a bit.

They do seem to be designed to build up heat and act more like an oven with the lid on rather than a standard barbecue but i don't think they are insulated. We will have some lump charcoal but i'd want to avoid taking the lid off as much as possible as I think chucking a few lumps in every so often may hinder me as much as help if it struggles to build up heat.

Maybe i am just being a bit paranoid. I think if i stack up as many weber bricks as sensibly fits i'll probabl be fine

Soldato
Any recommendations?

I've been using the Big K charcoal for everything recently as I ran out of Heat Beads. I wanted the BBQ at 140C for my scotch eggs at the weekend so thought half a chimney would be OK. I got them going and dumped them in and it stayed at about 210C for an hour even with the vents closed right down before I ended up taking a load out to get it down to temperature. I've found it generally gives me a decent burn time.

Associate
Yeah thought they were insulated as you can place them on a table can’t you. Maybe that’s just the base design then. I use the big K restaurant stuff in boxes. I reckon you’ll be alright opening half way through and putting a couple of bits of lumpwood on if needed

Soldato
I too would recommend the big k briquettes, was using webers before which are good, they get to a decent temp and last a while but the big k briquettes can get crazy hot and last forever. Once I'm done bbqing I like to let my coals fully burn out then clean down and sometimes I have to wait around for hours for the big k coals to die out.

Soldato
Snapped up a bag from waitrose. I feel much better bringing two different brand of top quality briquettes of different sizes.

Dont want to be caught short with tons of prepped meat I cant cook when camp is all set up :o

Soldato
I really fancy some pork belly burnt ends and some beef shirt ribs. Anyone got an recipes and cook times/temps they wish to share?

Gotta go to the butchers tomorrow anyway to pick up some bones so I'm gonna be hopefully for the weather tomorrow I think.

Soldato
New to the BBQ world but I'm looking for a decent gas BBQ that can cook for small parties. A few friends recommended Weber but for the size I think we want they're £900. I was looking at the Genesis II E-410 in particular but happy to be recommended something else.

Has anyone used a Fire Mountain BBQ? Reviews online seem good but it's easy to delete bad reviews these days and I have spotted a few reviews saying their BBQ was rusted after a few years…but you never know how they've looked after them.

https://www.fire-mountain.co.uk/gas-barbecues.html

Soldato
New to the BBQ world but I'm looking for a decent gas BBQ that can cook for small parties. A few friends recommended Weber but for the size I think we want they're £900. I was looking at the Genesis II E-410 in particular but happy to be recommended something else.

Has anyone used a Fire Mountain BBQ? Reviews online seem good but it's easy to delete bad reviews these days and I have spotted a few reviews saying their BBQ was rusted after a few years…but you never know how they've looked after them.

https://www.fire-mountain.co.uk/gas-barbecues.html
Have a look at the landmann range good warranty not as pricey as the Webber but Webbers are well built

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not doing anything too fancy today as I have my grandmother over who is fussy. Haven't made a start yet as it's too warm but planning on spatchcock, pork belly slices, burgers and sausages. I'm surprised I'm not smelling any neigh ours bbqing yet.

@Dianbobo notice youre in nottingham, do you get your coals locally if so wear from?

Back
Top Bottom