• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000) already in the works

Soldato
OP
Thinking about it now, I don't think my comment was correct.

According to the X570 block diagrams floating around, the chipset can have two M.2 drives attached with 4 lanes each in addition to the single M.2 hooked into the CPU. So right there I'm not sure if you could RAID all 3 drives, likely just the 2 on the PCH. But doesn't that also mean the PCH-CPU connection is only half the bandwidth of M.2 RAID0 (assuming both M.2 drives are PCIe 4 and max out their 4 lanes)?.

Im not too sure on that, but Intel run the nvme drives through the PCH and get full speed out of them ???? non of those are connected direct to the CPU.

ASUS also managed it with the CH7 AMD motherboard with 1 m.2 connected to the CPU and 1 connected to the PCH.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im not too sure on that, but Intel run the nvme drives through the PCH and get full speed out of them ???? non of those are connected direct to the CPU.

ASUS also managed it with the CH7 AMD motherboard with 1 m.2 connected to the CPU and 1 connected to the PCH.
But that's not RAID0 though. That's the point with a Stripe, you access drives simultaneously to multiply your I/O speed. So in the case of 2 drives hooked to the PCH at 4 lanes each, you're attempting to send 8 lanes of data down a 4 lane connection.

Soldato
i just don't see how they can make them more cores. when i'm gaming the game only uses x% of the cpu and nowhere near 100%. that's because it's relying on the cpu to do equations before it can work on the next set. they can't all be done side by side.

sure as games get more complicated they will be split up further. but core speed makes the biggest difference.

right now 4 cores with ultimate clock speed will beat any 8 core cpu. clock speed is king when it comes to gaming not core count.

the gpu does most of the work anyway.

Depends on the game. And API, graphics driver and specific graphics come to think of it.

Permabanned
apex legends, cs:go are the main 2 i play. obviously cs:go is ancient but apex is new.

my point is they should have 16 core cpus at 5ghz and 4 cores at 15ghz so they cover all markets. rather than focusing on more and more cores with same speeds.

i want an improvement in cores speeds not just more cores which are going to sit there doing little.

This is just lack of knowledge on your part. 15 GHz is technically impossible for silicon dies.
Also, CS:GO is designed for crappy laptops that start at 100$, it's normal that it isn't optimised.

Associate
zen 3 sounds very good and promising. however I want to buy a 3600 now and so wont wait until next year. I will be happy with a 3600 for a few years and then keep the mobo and replace it with a 4950 and be done with it.

Soldato
OP
But that's not RAID0 though. That's the point with a Stripe, you access drives simultaneously to multiply your I/O speed. So in the case of 2 drives hooked to the PCH at 4 lanes each, you're attempting to send 8 lanes of data down a 4 lane connection.

Ive explained all of this before in other threads, the 4 lanes from the CPU to the chipset is just for the DMI link, google it for a full explanation, 4 lanes gives the link about 32gb/s of bandwith and thats Gen3.

Do you really all think that the 4 lanes that connect the CPU to the PCH are just for transferring data from 1 nvme drive connected to the PCH back to the CPU.....of course not, what about everything else like SATA drives, USB, LAN,and any cards in slots connected to the PCH, those 4 dedicated lanes are for the DMI link, unfortunatley at the moment im unable to find out what bandwith the DMI runs at on X570.

Just with a very quick google search, this is DMI version 1.0 using 4 lanes from the CPU to basically connect the PCH to it, provides 2GB/s of bandwidth, X470 was DMI 3.0, pretty sure X570 will be 4.0

2vnkfv9.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive explained all of this before in other threads, the 4 lanes from the CPU to the chipset is just for the DMI link, google it for a full explanation, 4 lanes gives the link about 32gb/s of bandwith and thats Gen3.

Do you really all think that the 4 lanes that connect the CPU to the PCH are just for transferring data from 1 nvme drive connected to the PCH to the CPU, what about everything else like SATA drives, USB, LAN,and any cards in slots connected to the PCH, those 4 dedicated lanes are for the DMI link, unfortunatley at the moment im unable to find out what bandwith the DMI runs at on X570.
This is why I'm asking the question, to get some clarification and discuss what the options could be. I like to be educated when something doesn't click in my head.

Soldato
Ķ
I have already checked it out,it would work exactly the same way as it would with a RyZen 3000 cpu, only it will run at Gen3 instead of Gen4, but my nvme drives are Gen3 anyway, so I dont need Gen4, unless I want to spend £1000's changing everything, you still get the same amount of PCI-e lanes etc, only at Gen3 with 2000 series CPU's.

Taken from the MSI website, I noticed ASUS motherboards opted for 8 SATA ports and 2 M.2 slots, which is why I wont be buying ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte went for 6 SATA ports and 3 M.2 Drives:

AMD® X570 Chipset
  • 6x SATA 6Gb/s ports
  • 3x M.2 slots (Key M)1
    • M2_1 slot (from AMD® X570 Chipset) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™) or 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
    • M2_2 slot (from AMD® X570 Chipset) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™) or 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260/ 2280 storage devices
    • M2_3 slot (from AMD® Processor) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™) or PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices

You'll be capped the same as an x470 chipset motherboard.

All data must flow through the CPU. The chipset will have a x4 connection to the CPU at gen 3 on a 2xxx series CPU limiting the max throughput to roughly 3.5GB/sec real throughput for the two devices on it and 3.5GB/sec for the single drive on the CPU.

Since you have to stripe it then 5-6ish GB/sec will be the cap in that case I think with 3x drives, 2 drives being capped at 7GB/sec if using one on CPU and one on chipset if it let's you do that.

Soldato
Yeah 8 years ago

Should have advanced by now
It's you who needs update of mind out from NetBurst/Pentium 4 fiasco era clock speed chase.
And Faildozer was just AMD's attempt at same "we'll compensate crap IPC by clock speeds" failure.
Only thing both architectures were good at was turning lots of watts into heat without achieving much computationally.
Because silicon has been maxed years ago.
Smaller nodes are now more likely to only lower max clock speed.

While researchers have been running individual special material transistors at hundred GHz range in laboratories for over dozen years, that doesn't mean any of that is applicable to complex real word integrated circuits in foreseeable future.
Neither is single SRAM cell any proof of tech scaling to functional CPU.
Or any single amplifier.

Also speed of electricity/signal limits how fast you can run big complex chips.

Soldato

Intel PCH drives are limited to a max of 3.5GB/sec combined no matter the number of drives.

Back
Top Bottom