BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Seems 48 is the number more or less.

48 hours of constant sync, line dropped and resynced 10Mb higher at 72462 instead of 62XXX, which is more or less the same as what I got on BT 6DB. Pings to bbc also dropped from 13ms to 5ms, which again is similar to BT.

Don't know if there is anyway to tell on the sky hub if g.inp is on, instead of guessing. Sky hub is very lacking stats wise comparted to the hg612 :(.

Throughput doesn't seem any different though. Speed tests are still 60mb give or take and downloads at 7.4MB/s which is the same as when it was synced at 62xxx. I assume the ip profile has not raised yet, although I thought that raises with the sync on fibre.

Doesn't really matter for now, still fast enough and is clearly sorting itself out over time.

Now to wait for 3db to come back to me :).

Last edited:
Soldato
So I just got the call from Vodafone to tell me they also can't give me fibre because openreach still haven't updated their system to say we can even get fibre from the new cabinet. The one I'm already connected to and already have fibre (40/10) on.

The DSL checker is all up to date and shows we can get 80/20 but now it's just a guessing game of ordering until openreach pull their thumb out.

Associate
Has anyone else noticed that when an ISP increases a price rise, the offers to switch to other ISP's seem to get reduced almost straight away?

For example, before EE increased the latest price rise, BT were offering a much better deal than the current offer for an Echo or sound bar.

Oh well, EE only say you have to give notice to leave within 30 days, not actually leave, so I'll hang on until a better offer appears!

Soldato
BT adjust it’s offers across the month based on how many acquisitions it has relative to target. It’s not uncommon to see cashback reduced towards the end of the month on Quidco/TCB.

Soldato
Has anyone else noticed that when an ISP increases a price rise, the offers to switch to other ISP's seem to get reduced almost straight away?

For example, before EE increased the latest price rise, BT were offering a much better deal than the current offer for an Echo or sound bar.

Oh well, EE only say you have to give notice to leave within 30 days, not actually leave, so I'll hang on until a better offer appears!
Don't forget that BT owns EE.

Soldato
I'm renegotiating my broadband deal moving away from BT to Plusnet. BT has been absolutely solid but now I'm out of contract the monthly cost is significantly higher than the competition.

One of the final things the BT customer service guy said was that my contention ratio on Plusnet would rise to 50:1 from 20:1 on BT.

Is there any truth to this? I'm struggling to find anything to prove or disprove this comment.

Soldato
I'm renegotiating my broadband deal moving away from BT to Plusnet. BT has been absolutely solid but now I'm out of contract the monthly cost is significantly higher than the competition.

One of the final things the BT customer service guy said was that my contention ratio on Plusnet would rise to 50:1 from 20:1 on BT.

Is there any truth to this? I'm struggling to find anything to prove or disprove this comment.

I doubt it. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure your speeds and everything else are going to be identical.

Soldato
I'm with Plusnet and get the maximum my line can support (62/19) at all times of the day. I mainly work from home so it's often in use from 10:00 through to 04:00 the following morning.

Caporegime
Contention ratio isn't a thing that anybody publishes numbers for now - they generally add capacity to stop the links getting too hot, because they know people will just leave if the service is awful.

Soldato
Finally got Vodafone to drop their cease request on my line since they couldn't take it over, and then when I contact sky to upgrade to the new superfast package for £27 their sales system is down. Fml.

Soldato
Sky have finally managed to move me to the superfast package. How long has it taken you guys to see an uplift from 40/10 to 80/20?

Is it an cabinet cable swap or just something sky do in their system?

Soldato
Openreach profile change. Shouldn't take more than 48hours max.
Huzzah.

And its done. 70/17 on the sky router which I have heard will limit one ip address to 90% of the total available? Router is saying 19000 up and 74000 down.

It also seems someone made a mistake on my billing as its now just £22 for "sky fibre unlimited" (which I did have but now don't, obvs) and £0 for line rental.

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently had an Openreach engineer out to fix drop outs we were getting. He replaced some cabling and as a result of that, my modem's maximum upload sync speed has jumped from ~15 Mb/s to ~23 Mb/s. Interestingly the maximum download sync speed has dropped from ~84 Mb/s to ~78 Mb/s, and the SnR has changed from ~3 dB to ~4.5 dB.

My line profile is currently set to 68.2 Mb/s and download speeds are maxing at ~66 Mb/s, as expected. I'm going to wait 10 days for the line to settle but after that if my line profile is still the same should I ask Plusnet to increase it based on the fact the line should be more capable now?

Associate
I recently had an Openreach engineer out to fix drop outs we were getting. He replaced some cabling and as a result of that, my modem's maximum upload sync speed has jumped from ~15 Mb/s to ~23 Mb/s. Interestingly the maximum download sync speed has dropped from ~84 Mb/s to ~78 Mb/s, and the SnR has changed from ~3 dB to ~4.5 dB.

My line profile is currently set to 68.2 Mb/s and download speeds are maxing at ~66 Mb/s, as expected. I'm going to wait 10 days for the line to settle but after that if my line profile is still the same should I ask Plusnet to increase it based on the fact the line should be more capable now?

dlm will change SNR automatically towards 3db

Back
Top Bottom