Buying phones on Ebay

NE5

NE5

Associate
Hello...what do people think about buying mobiles on ebay.

A samsung s7 from a dealer new in a box, or just new.

Around 100 quid cheaper.
Genuine or not ?

Soldato
What sort of price are you looking at for this one on eBay? The S7 is still a perfectly decent phone but probably held back by its original rrp, which might end up in it being overpriced compared to the competition.

NE5

NE5

Associate
OP
Its from a dealer. There are a few of these from dealers that say they are new. The price I will pay is out of choice I'm not one of these who will pay hundreds for a phone. I currently have a J5 which is 3 and a half years old its not too bad but I would like more RAM now and I think the battery needs charging more. Its just a case of anticipating its demise.

Soldato
What price is it?

Its from a dealer.

Not much help. I don’t know you, nor do I care if you only have a low budget for a phone. The reason for the question is if the “dealer” wants £250 for a galaxy s7 you might be better off with a pocophone or something. If the dealer wants £100, get the phone and pay via PayPal for buyer protection if it turns up dodgy.

Caporegime
What sort of price are you looking at for this one on eBay? The S7 is still a perfectly decent phone but probably held back by its original rrp, which might end up in it being overpriced compared to the competition.
I still have mine and it's around 30 months old now. I keep looking at newer phones and seeing flaws or things my S7 does just as well or better. Higher resolution screen in some situations, especially width wise against some phones, RAM size at times too.
The as yet unreleased A80 looks great but it still suffers against the S7. The screen for example; 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~393 ppi density) on the A80 compared to 1440 x 2560 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~577 ppi density) on the S7. I think I'm just going to keep it for the foreseeable future until it dies then have a look around.

Soldato
I still have mine and it's around 30 months old now. I keep looking at newer phones and seeing flaws or things my S7 does just as well or better.

Try a second hand S8. They’re really nice to use one handed (if I understand that as being a requirement) and you could pick one up cheaply I’m sure.

My mam has an S7 and I used to have an S8. The latter is clearly a big step into “modern” low bezel design. Some people don’t get on with curved edges but they’re not that bad.

NE5

NE5

Associate
OP
What price is it?

Not much help. I don’t know you, nor do I care if you only have a low budget for a phone. The reason for the question is if the “dealer” wants £250 for a galaxy s7 you might be better off with a pocophone or something. If the dealer wants £100, get the phone and pay via PayPal for buyer protection if it turns up dodgy.

You asked me how much I was prepared to pay so I told you. Not budget, how much I was prepared to pay. They vary up to 200 quid but there are a few between 150 and 200.

Thanks.

Soldato
What about CEX? You can buy online and have it delivered for free. Think they also include a 2yr warranty with sales now.

You can get goods even cheaper as you can buy credit vouchers from people over on AVF for 85% of face value.

Soldato
What about CEX? You can buy online and have it delivered for free. Think they also include a 2yr warranty with sales now.

You can get goods even cheaper as you can buy credit vouchers from people over on AVF for 85% of face value.
On ebay there mobiles phone like a brand new sealed S8 for £239
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Fact...hash=item4439351a60:m:mQuvMNcg8jsdBZrh6FUg1jA

CEX costs a lot for more for a secondhand one

But Buying from Ebay & buying secondhand mobile phones are both big risks

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello...what do people think about buying mobiles on ebay.

A samsung s7 from a dealer new in a box, or just new.

Around 100 quid cheaper.
Genuine or not ?

experience isnt great.

expect scratches even when claimed excellent condition.

I brought a used s7 from there with "like new" condition, that had guarantee of no scratches, wasnt one but the cover for the sim card wasnt stock and had been replaced so wasnt snug over the casing.

I have never been scammed with fake phones or broken phones, just a difference of opinion of what is excellent condition.

If you worried about been scammed e.g. if that s8 is fake I think the ebay money back guarantee should keep you safe.

Soldato
I bought 10s of phones on ebay, even high value.
Most transactions were fine (I usually aim for brand new, still sealed)
few were trying to pull a fast one (fake Galaxy S9 etc.) but all was sorted. Just make sure you pay with Paypal. The only inconvenience would then be having money ringfenced on the card account for few days.
Whether it's a business or private sale didn't bother me personally on ebay.
If you want to have 100% peace of mind, just buy online from reputable retailer (CPW etc) or do the O2 refresh trick.
High value items are always prone to scams on ebay, be it iphones, Galaxy S/Note or anything else.

Associate
I personally would try not to buy off phones on Ebay, but with the few transactions (not mobile phones) I had, I used Paypal. Sister bought one off the site and it went smoothly. I'd say I'm just more cautious than she is.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Bought a grade A pixel 2 XL a few months back for £275, immaculate. It was from a business selling used phones. Last week bought a pristine condition iPhone 8 from a business, it came with a ton marks. That goes back tomorrow. To replace that ordered another iPhone 8 not from a business but it's an unwanted upgrade sealed in the box. We shall see how that is tomorrow. £425 for the new sealed iPhone 8 Vs £599 from Apple.

Make of that what you will.

Soldato

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Bought a grade A pixel 2 XL a few months back for £275, immaculate. It was from a business selling used phones. Last week bought a pristine condition iPhone 8 from a business, it came with a ton marks. That goes back tomorrow. To replace that ordered another iPhone 8 not from a business but it's an unwanted upgrade sealed in the box. We shall see how that is tomorrow. £425 for the new sealed iPhone 8 Vs £599 from Apple.

Make of that what you will.

Just to update this. The "pristine" iPhone 8 was accepted as a return and full refund issued, that was good. The new sealed phone from regular seller turned up when they said and is spot on.

Associate
I have bought and sold numerous things on eBay, so just a few little tips:
- You can get great deals on eBay but just be careful and ask for receipts etc to validate the purchase
- Seller feedback is very important, Always get items from a seller who has a decent feedback
- Sometimes when buying expensive stuff and on a good deal, check the feedback comments. That says a lot if the account is fake or not. You may see 300 feedback but no feedback comments so that is a fake account.

That said, its a pretty decent place to buy phones from. I think buying outside eBay and locally is more dangerous than eBay due to the policies etc in place.

Back
Top Bottom