i am fat

Soldato
I am still on the fat loss. I have gone past my original goal long ago of wanting to lose the beer gut. As i shed weight and started to really enjoy nailing my daily calories, macros and hitting the gym i set new goals.

Now i'm 3 weeks away from the 18 month mark and am working my ass off for a good 'after' picture.

Soldato
Well I might as well post in here too! I weighed in at 26st January 2018 and seriously started to change myself in August 2018. As of this morning I'm 8st 4lb lighter at 17st 10lb. Got another 3st 3lb to go until I'm happy, hoping to be where I need to be by March. Not been too hard, just mentality change really

- GP

Soldato
I'll just stick my oar in to congratulate anyone taking control of their calorific life. I had half a lifetime of managing my weight well, but circumstances change and life as a 24/7 carer means I don't have the willpower (or sleep or chances to avoid stress) that I used to, so I'm slowly heading in the wrong direction. Life was a lot simpler when I was working in a physical job for 40 hours a week, walking for a hobby, and stripping all naughty food out of my life for periods when I needed to get back on the straight and narrow (or at least back into my 32" trousers!)

I have developed a new respect for anyone who manages to lose even small amounts of weight reliably, let alone those tackling far greater goals over far greater periods. Modern life and its temptations do not make it easy even under ideal circumstances, so very well done indeed!

Caporegime
I thought being fat was a disability / lifestyle choice these days :rolleyes:

Fair play for deciding to do something about it. Just cut out crap food / drink, eat more fruit and veg, drink more water and do more walking. A bit of cardio down the gym too. As long as you stick to this, it'll start to come off.

Good luck.

Edit, doh, old thread :p
I've never understood why people do cardio at the gym.

Instead of a stationary bike, why not cycle somewhere? Instead of a treadmill, why not walk/run somewhere?

This is assuming you aren't slap-bang in the middle of Londinium and unable to breathe the air/smog outdoors.

Soldato

Instead of a stationary bike, why not cycle somewhere? Instead of a treadmill, why not walk/run somewhere?

This is assuming you aren't slap-bang in the middle of Londinium and unable to breathe the air/smog outdoors.

Yes, very true. I only ever do cardio, so avoid gyms. Far cheaper to just go for a run or bike ride.

Soldato

Seriously?!

People might be circuit training, so running/cycling as part of a series of workouts.
Warm up/cool down
Just 'cycling somewhere' is a lot easier said than done if someone doesn't own a bike (and all the apparel you need to go with it)
Many people don't feel comfortable cycling on the roads
You can do much better interval workouts on a treadmill as you don't have to faff about navigating junctions, crossings, people etc

I could go on.....

Soldato

It's far easier to control your pace on a stationary bike or treadmill, I do HIIT so I like to track my heart rate and speed, so I'll do a 30 second sprint at a high speed and a certain level, then rest, then repeat. Each week I can try and increase the difficulty level, how fast I go, or see the differences in how long it takes for my heart rate to drop down. It's hard to replicate those conditions on a road. Plus you can just get showered afterwards, you can choose to train for longer or shorter and you don't need to travel anywhere; it's obviously just far more convenient for most people.

Soldato
You also have the ability to set an incline and go on for as long as you want on that incline. Makes calorie burn far easier to monitor and control. May not seem that useful but if you are trying to stay within a certain bracket of heart rate or conscious about burning too many or few calories, a treadmill may not be pretty but it is consistent at least

Soldato
Not to mention that road/pavement running can be bad for your legs/shins where as most treadmills have a bit of bounce. I also don't have anywhere to store a bike either inside or outside my flat. Doesn't matter about the weather and unless you get very unlucky, you can't get run over in a gym... not to mention you can easily go there during lunch at work or after/before

- GP

Soldato
I exercise an hour a day, I absolutely hate it and would rather not do it, I equally hate having to moderate my diet and avoid pigging out on nice foods which are generally unhealthy and make you put on weight

The only reason I do all this though is because I hate the thought of being overweight more but I guess that hatred is a positive if it keeps me doing healthy things I don't really enjoy

Caporegime
Seriously?!

People might be circuit training, so running/cycling as part of a series of workouts.
Warm up/cool down
Just 'cycling somewhere' is a lot easier said than done if someone doesn't own a bike (and all the apparel you need to go with it)
Many people don't feel comfortable cycling on the roads
You can do much better interval workouts on a treadmill as you don't have to faff about navigating junctions, crossings, people etc

I could go on.....
The cost of a bike and... apparel? ... probably way less than the (rather expensive) cost of most gym memberships.

But each to his own. I just can't imagine sweating your nuts off on a stationary bike and having nothing but a bunch of other sweaties and four walls to look at :p

Gyms down here seem to be ~£35 pm so that's what £400 ish a year? A half decent bike is about a grand but will last forever.

Caporegime

This is the UK we are talking about, where cycling on the road is like playing Russian roulette and it's always raining. Treadmills etc in gyms provide a comfortable, safe, and convenient environment to exercise in.

Caporegime
What's a good amount of calories to do during cardio in the gym?

I did 779 yesterday and 755 on Monday. Thats about 60-70 minutes of actual machine time.

37 year old
5' 10"
95kg

I was in the gym recently though and a quite fat guy did 1000 calories on the Vario in 30 minutes!

Associate
What's a good amount of calories to do during cardio in the gym?

I did 779 yesterday and 755 on Monday. Thats about 60-70 minutes of actual machine time.

37 year old
5' 10"
95kg

I was in the gym recently though and a quite fat guy did 1000 calories on the Vario in 30 minutes!

If thats just the numbers the machine is giving you, then its probably a pretty bad estimate. To measure it correctly you need to measure heart rate / carbon dioxide and so on. Your probably better comparing your heart rates from resting to what you hit during heavy exercise / your age etc and try to get in the 80-90 % zone.

Steady state cardio is all good, but maybe try mixing it up with interval training if you really want to burn some lard. I'd do a mix of steady state, hiit and strength training if you want a good mix.

See if i can find a very interesting article re mixing Hiit and steady state , not just doing hiit... one moment.

**Edit, not the one i was thinking of, cant find it , it was a scientific study paper, but this has a similar theme.

https://experiencelife.com/article/steady-state-cardio-vs-high-intensity-interval-training/

Last edited:
Soldato
I exercise an hour a day, I absolutely hate it and would rather not do it, I equally hate having to moderate my diet and avoid pigging out on nice foods which are generally unhealthy and make you put on weight

The only reason I do all this though is because I hate the thought of being overweight more but I guess that hatred is a positive if it keeps me doing healthy things I don't really enjoy

definitely helps to enjoy your exercise im into clifftop walks (15 to 20 miles) surfing and cycling ,when i lived in yorkshire countryside walking and cycling
i also have a slob out night on a saturday where i eat what i like ,get it out of my system (not recommending just saying what i do)

Associate
Allowed myself to go quite a bit since my fathers passing and dislocating/damaging my left (weaker) knee (tibia, fibula and petela were all out of place and alignement heavily).

Now 5'9"-10" (morning) and 130KG.

But I know I don't have to hit things too hard, goal is only 105-110KG weight as my frame is massive. (If you shrunk Dwayne Johnson down to 5'9"-10" comparatively, his frame is smaller than my own). Just waiting for leg to recover to get back into the thick of things.

Associate
Allowed myself to go quite a bit since my fathers passing and dislocating/damaging my left (weaker) knee (tibia, fibula and petela were all out of place and alignement heavily).

Now 5'9"-10" (morning) and 130KG.

But I know I don't have to hit things too hard, goal is only 105-110KG weight as my frame is massive. (If you shrunk Dwayne Johnson down to 5'9"-10" comparatively, his frame is smaller than my own). Just waiting for leg to recover to get back into the thick of things.
So you're saying that you're just big-boned?

Associate
So you're saying that you're just big-boned?

Partly, my frame is massive, but I still do weight lifting, just not as heavily. 55" shoulders (22" clavicle, end to end), 48" chest, 44" hips (I block most household doorwars by standing in the middle of it with relaxed shoulders). It's just I allowed myself to not consider what I was eating as much since my fathers passing. So added more fat on as well (Thor Like), so need to get back on with things in dealing with that (after I'm sure my knee isn't going to blow out).

Soldato
See I'm 6'2" and about 90kg which I think is pretty good... but although I've been fairly consistently going to the gym twice a week for quite a few years and especially recently have been making some reasonable gains in terms of muscle (especially my chest/arms which my whole young life have been non-existent)... I seem to have a little bit of a belly and can't work out how to shift it!!! It's not dreadful by any means but I'm not sure if I need to do anything specific? I don't eat terribly and barely drink at all so I don't think it's a "beer gut" or anything like that...

Back
Top Bottom