• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1660 Ti only seen as PCIE 2X

Soldato
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in Motherboards but one has to start somewhere.....

I have a Gigabyte GTX 1660Ti plugged into an Asus H370-I Gaming mobo. I'd wondered why it was folding so slowly compared with its previous home of an old B75 board and I think I found the reason when reconfiguring the BIOS after an update: the PCIE slot is only running at 2x. I'm pretty sure the GPU is okay as it worked at the expected speed in the B75 mobo so I'm wondering if it's a faulty PCIE slot on the mobo or some configuration step I've missed? I will try a different GPU later today to see if that changes anything.

G J

G J

Associate
Are you checking the PCI-E speed while the 1660ti is under load? Some motherboards will reduce the PCI-E speed when the GPU is idle.

Soldato
OP
Have you checked for dirt in the slot?
Not yet, it's a job for this afternoon after the current folding WU finishes.

Are you checking the PCI-E speed while the 1660ti is under load? Some motherboards will reduce the PCI-E speed when the GPU is idle.
No, just what the BIOS reported when I was configuring it. CPU-Z isn't giving the link speed like it does on this PC, possibly because I'm using the CPU graphics for the display.

Are 3dmark scores on par with what you should be getting?
Pass. Something else I can try this afternoon.

Soldato
OP
I removed the card and gave the slot a good blasting with the compressed-whatever spray.
3Dmark was 11237 which is spot on compared with my KFA2 card's 11163. The current 'official' result is 11477 but that includes the super-clocked versions.
I poked a few things to do with PCH power management in the UEFI BIOS without really understanding what I was doing. :rolleyes:
I also moved the display to the card from the on-board graphics.
It does seem slightly better now but still not quite where it was on the old mobo. Both PCs are on W10 1903 but I noticed that the problem one is on a slightly later version of the Nvidia driver which it wouldn't have been before. I might try reverting it at some point just in case Nvidia has fouled up folding again.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Soldato
No, just what the BIOS reported when I was configuring it. CPU-Z isn't giving the link speed like it does on this PC, possibly because I'm using the CPU graphics for the display.

This is why its not showing you correctly.

Fire up GPU-z, select the 1660 then click the ? to run the screen test so the 1660 is under load then report what the PCIE multiplier says in GPU-Z

Soldato
OP
I'm now pretty sure it was a driver problem. What was on there was an earlier version, probably from when I originally built the PC with a different GPU, so a really early version for the 1660 Ti. The update to W10 1903 stops the standard Nvidia drivers from updating and I had to use Geforce Experience's on-line update to get to the current version. It all looks much healthier now.

If you were running your monitor from the onboard graphics rather than the GPU then no wonder things weren't working! You need to have the monitor plugged into the GPU.
I've never had any problems running the monitor from the on-board graphics as long as I'm willing to accept the lower resolution.

Back
Top Bottom