Rice Cooker advice

Soldato
Can anyone advise me on a decent rice cooker? I dont eat a lot of rice at home as i never really like it that much but my friend gave me rice from his rice cooker and it was totally different.

Im now thinking about getting a rice cooker but have no idea what im buying. Id like it to be able to do sticky rice if thats even a feature...

Thank

Caporegime
Normally steam rice to get it sticky IIRC.

Depends on your budget. I looked at buying one, but it's quite expensive.

Or ask your friend as you liked his?

Associate
I had a cheap one years ago and whilst it was handy it wasn't that much better than absorption method tbh, probably looking close to the £100 mark for something worthwhile!

Soldato
I boil the kettle and pour that onto the dry rice and then leave it simmering for 20 mins

Sorry it’s taken me a while to reply. Use a measuring cup and use the 1/3 cup per person of rice into your pan. Add water 2 times 1/3 cup per person. Put the pan on a medium heat with a tight fitting lid, a glass lid really helps, once the water just reaches simmer turn down to low and leave on until all the water has been absorbed. Tip the pan or use a fork to create a well to check. You will with very little practice get light fluffy well cooked rice and far less water bound than boiled rice. You can also put stock powder or spices into the water to add flavour.

I will happily admit steamed rice is the best but the difference against absorption method isn’t so great unless you’re having rice on a very regular basis.

Soldato
OP
Sorry it’s taken me a while to reply. Use a measuring cup and use the 1/3 cup per person of rice into your pan. Add water 2 times 1/3 cup per person. Put the pan on a medium heat with a tight fitting lid, a glass lid really helps, once the water just reaches simmer turn down to low and leave on until all the water has been absorbed. Tip the pan or use a fork to create a well to check. You will with very little practice get light fluffy well cooked rice and far less water bound than boiled rice. You can also put stock powder or spices into the water to add flavour.

I will happily admit steamed rice is the best but the difference against absorption method isn’t so great unless you’re having rice on a very regular basis.
OK cheers buddy :)

Soldato
Perfect rice = less water than you think you need... just a little more in the pan than the rice.

The trick is this.... when it is almost ready you turn the heat totally off and leave the rice to cook in and absorb the last of the water. After about 5 to 10 mins like this you fluff it up with a fork. The rice is totally cooked now with zero excess water.

Soldato
OP
Perfect rice = less water than you think you need... just a little more in the pan than the rice.

The trick is this.... when it is almost ready you turn the heat totally off and leave the rice to cook in and absorb the last of the water. After about 5 to 10 mins like this you fluff it up with a fork. The rice is totally cooked now with zero excess water.
I have often wondered this myself. Draining rice always seemed so wrong

Soldato
I should have mentioned this is with a lid on...... First bring to boil (use boiling water to start with btw from the kettle, much quicker this way to then bring to the boil)) , then lid on on with lowest heat.... then when almost ready heat off with lid still on and leave to finish cooking. It does not take long to get this system working correctly.

If you want flavoured rice... First heat oil and spices in the pan, then turn off heat and pour the uncooked rice into the oil and stir in until all the rice is coated with the oil, then add the water and cook like suggested!

Soldato
OP
I should have mentioned this is with a lid on...... First bring to boil (use boiling water to start with btw from the kettle, much quicker this way to then bring to the boil)) , then lid on on with lowest heat.... then when almost ready heat off with lid still on and leave to finish cooking. It does not take long to get this system working correctly.

If you want flavoured rice... First heat oil and spices in the pan, then turn off heat and pour the uncooked rice into the oil and stir in until all the rice is coated with the oil, then add the water and cook like suggested!
Ok I'll try this method and see if the resulting rice has improved thus not needing a rice cooker

Associate

This! Stop, you've found the answer!

But, if you must buy a rice cooker take a look at 'Aroma'.

I own this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-8-Cup-Digital-Rice-Cooker-and-Food-Steamer/19756393

Is it better than cooking it yourself? No, it's not. Is it good enough that you don't mind? Yes, it is.

Plus, it's one less thing you have to worry about, or tend to, when you're cooking. Start and forget.

Soldato
OP
This! Stop, you've found the answer!

But, if you must buy a rice cooker take a look at 'Aroma'.

I own this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-8-Cup-Digital-Rice-Cooker-and-Food-Steamer/19756393

Is it better than cooking it yourself? No, it's not. Is it good enough that you don't mind? Yes, it is.

Plus, it's one less thing you have to worry about, or tend to, when you're cooking. Start and forget.
If only we had a Walmart in the UK! Thanks for the pointer though dude, you are offering the fact that you don't need to spend much money to get a decent bowl of rice

Associate
If only we had a Walmart in the UK! Thanks for the pointer though dude, you are offering the fact that you don't need to spend much money to get a decent bowl of rice

Sorry, didn't think about no Walmart in the UK. Is the 'Aroma' brand available from another retailer in the UK? I actually bought mine from Amazon. And for the record, it was the pick of 'Cooks Illustrated' here in the US. A very highly respected cooking magazine/show/website here.

Hope you find something comparable.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, didn't think about no Walmart in the UK. Is the 'Aroma' brand available from another retailer in the UK? I actually bought mine from Amazon. And for the record, it was the pick of 'Cooks Illustrated' here in the US. A very highly respected cooking magazine/show/website here.

Hope you find something comparable.
I did look and you can get them off e-bay for around 30 quid

Back
Top Bottom