What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
I give up with you, I can't even comprehend what this fresh new load of tripe is meant to be about. Read a book, man, preferably one on sentence comprehension.

Diagro, love it.

Man of Honour
Replaced the old gearbox and handbrake gaiters with nice thick Italian leather ones. They smell rather sweet!

knobs_comparison.jpg

Big pic:

nvPqwVi.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just trying to find somewhere that sells the equivalent for the armrest. I fear I might have to get a leather expert to do that custom though. I need to get the passenger side bolster stitching tightened as it's coming loose from all the people that haphazardly knock it when getting in. Two birds one stone I guess :cool:

Caporegime
Cleared out some of the crap, drained about 6 pints of water from the rear boot pocket (I think I need a new taillight seal...) checked all the fluids, checked tyre pressures, topped off the coolant, and now giving it a test drive to the jet wash to give it a clean.

Off to the Bromley Pageant of Motoring tomorrow.

Soldato
Hmmmm

Gliptone GT11 and GT15. 15 for general cleaning. 11 once every few months to feed and keep the leather supple :cool:

I'm sure you are up on the detailing side of things, but I also used the gt11 until someone kindly pointed out it won't work on painted leather as it's sealed, so can't feed it or condition it.
However I recently switched to Dr leather Cleaner and Dr Leather dye block, mainly as we now have an X3 with very light leather, so between that and the M3, it's been amazing, the cleaner is much more efficient at removing any surface dirt and the dye block is amazing, it coats the surface to provide protection, yet both products do not in any way mess with the surface finish, it's stays Matt and non slidy.

Soldato
Went out for a proper drive around the Warwickshire countryside. Will have to make more of an effort to get to Caffeine and Machine next time I think. Got to Henley in Arden and couldn’t park anywhere so turned round and headed straight home. Got the oil properly hot and made sure the cobwebs were all blown away. Also forgot suncream...

Man of Honour
I'm sure you are up on the detailing side of things, but I also used the gt11 until someone kindly pointed out it won't work on painted leather as it's sealed, so can't feed it or condition it.
However I recently switched to Dr leather Cleaner and Dr Leather dye block, mainly as we now have an X3 with very light leather, so between that and the M3, it's been amazing, the cleaner is much more efficient at removing any surface dirt and the dye block is amazing, it coats the surface to provide protection, yet both products do not in any way mess with the surface finish, it's stays Matt and non slidy.

Ah yeah, my leather is still original so that will be why.

Soldato
BMW shafted me by keeping my car for the EGR recall (it's been 10 days now) they also won't let me have it back for a couple of days nor will they amend the agreement to allow me to take the loaner car out of the country. This was problematic as I have to drive to France for work on Monday so I was left with little choice but to take the wife's car which, combined with good weather, meant it was a good day to check it over properly.

Rear brake pads were surprisingly low on the inside despite being ok on the outside on both sides of the car, less than ideal. Fronts were getting there too so I thought I might as well replace brake pads all round. Also turns out that 3 of the 4 tyres have cracking rubber:

IMG-4319.jpg

Not sure how that happened as I'm sure they weren't like that when I checked them over a couple of months ago. Getting 4 new tyres fitted tomorrow because I hate having mismatched ones and it at least means I can use the 1 good one with a full size alloy to get a decent spare wheel.

Back
Top Bottom