Where do you get replacement car lights from?

Soldato
A few of my bulbs have gone on my car, and I originally looked to Amazon for some replacements; picked up some LEDs in a H7 fitting from Novsight. They're okay - 26 quid or so, but the colour temperature is quite different.

When I then looked for some to replace headlamp/DRL, I found out about Autobeam - a few recommendations for them on Ford Owners Club. £70 later for a pair of H15 LEDs, and they've arrived in a box with someone else's brand on, and lumiled branding on the product itself.

After a bit of digging, seems they're just buying OEM stuff and selling it on, which normally I'm okay with, but this stuff can be bought for under the amount from China (inc delivery). Now, I totally understand overheads etc, but they've also oversold the product specs, quoting higher luminance and water resistance ratings than the product is actually rated for.

When I asked them to confirm the specs, they advised me that their performance products are designed by Autobeam to the highest standard, and so the specs are as advertised on their site :confused:

Anyhow, a little confused because they're categorically denying they're OEM stuff, yet nothing about this product is branded by Autobeam :(

My question to you all, is where do you buy your stuff?

Man of Honour
ABD are good. Be careful using LEDs in halogen reflector housings though, they're not designed for LEDs so the might be dazzling other road users.

Think there are a few other issues with using LEDs in older cars designed with halogens, etc. even with the bulbs that supposedly are designed so as not to cause OBD errors, etc.

Soldato
picked up some LEDs in a H7 fitting from Novsight. They're okay
are they automatically, not, conforming to EU standards ?, I had not realised any, were, yet ? from earlier threads.
and just went for the philips vision+ last time.

as discussed then, even if they, in theory have the lumens, they have to output them in the right direction via the projector.

Soldato
OP
are they automatically, not, conforming to EU standards ?, I had not realised any, were, yet ? from earlier threads.
and just went for the philips vision+ last time.

as discussed then, even if they, in theory have the lumens, they have to output them in the right direction via the projector.

Well they form a beam pattern - whether or not it's a correct pattern is another question.

Service and MOT is due soon so will know then :)

Edit: functionally, LEDs work spot on with no flickering.

Autobeam reckon theirs conform to standards and won't fail an MOT :)

Associate
as i own a focus i have used autobeam for some of my bulbs they state the support ford,vauxhall and volkswagen but i'm pretty sure they could fit most other brands.

also mine has just passed MOT using autobeam indicators, reversing and side lights, numberplate
lights

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well they form a beam pattern - whether or not it's a correct pattern is another question.

Service and MOT is due soon so will know then :)

Edit: functionally, LEDs work spot on with no flickering.

Autobeam reckon theirs conform to standards and won't fail an MOT :)
They will need to project the beam in a certain place or they will fail an mot.

Best thing to do is pop into your local, friendly garage and ask if he can kindly check them using his headlight aligner, which he has to have the calibration checked every 6 months to ensure accuracy. If he is happy then that’s all that matters.

Associate
Apart from Autobeam and ABD does anyone have other suggestions for sources of LED bulbs?

I'm looking for LEDs to use in the front and rear indicators in my 2010 Focus. Problem being the rears need to be coloured, and really I want the same for the fronts.

ABD versions that are coloured would need resistors or they'll flash like crazy, Autobeam do a type that doesn't need resistors but they're rather pricey.

Fronts are 382 type, rears 581's if that helps.

Soldato
Horizon LEDs, I think I bought my interior LEDs from them and they seem pretty good. They've got a decent range.

Don't go for cheap ones otherwise they'll probably fail and/or won't be bright enough.

Associate
I wouldn't recommend buying the autobeam led indicator bulbs... while the built in resistors do work they are disgustingly bright and everyone behind you will hate you with a passion. They actually hurt your eyes to look at. They literally light up an entire street. I took mine out after 1 night.

Associate
Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll have a look at Horizon LEDs to see what they offer.

Helpful to know about just how bright the Autobeam versions would have been - saw their video with set fitted to a Focus RS but it's hard to judge the real effect. Looks like overkill in this case. If they weren't £25 each I'd have maybe tried a set but got better things I can spend that sort of money on tbh

Associate
All the LED replacements bulbs I got were from China, Indicators, reversing lights, Static Cornering lights, and glove, boot, vanity mirrors. That was4 years ago and had no problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom