New phone wanted. Camera+waterproof priority

Caporegime
Something isn't right work my s7 and it has a small crack in screen. So I could do with a new one.

Requirements are
-best in class camera
-waterproof
-decent size battery/screen

Not to fussed about rest

Best options? I know it will be expensive

Soldato
Something isn't right work my s7 and it has a small crack in screen. So I could do with a new one.

Requirements are
-best in class camera
-waterproof
-decent size battery/screen

Not to fussed about rest

Best options? I know it will be expensive

If you really do want best in-class camera, it's gonna be a Pixel. iPhone camera is very decent for video, and about 90% as good for photos imo

Caporegime
OP
Any opinions on p30 pro?

Looks like pixel, p30 pro and s10 are in running.
And for camera it's stills not vids

Apple is a no go, forgot to say

Soldato
Well I had S7 Edge, found colour reproduction very poor on Huawei P30 Pro (there's also this whole ban thing still hanging over it) and Xperia 1 was rather underwhelming in the camera department, so also returned that.

Now have the S10e out of all things and delighted with it although you might want to bump it up to regular S10 if you want the telephoto as well.

Associate
Pixel 3 64gb and unlimited photo storage on the cloud, deals are excellent at the moment with plans from £24 per month depending on carrier and data requirements, eg 10gb data unlimited calls and texts for £25 on o2. Pixel 3 has one of the best cameras currently available.

Soldato
I think the Galaxy S10+ is a much better all-round package than the Pixel 3 XL. The Pixel has been top of the camera heap for a while such that it’s been heresy to say anything else, but a number of review sites I’ve looked at are now waking up to the fact that side-by-side there’s not an awful lot in it. And for zoom shots, the P30 Pro turns out vastly better pictures than the Pixel. No matter how good Google’s processing software is, it can’t compete with a proper optical zoom.

Associate
Any variant of the S10 I'd say is the one to go for. Aim for the full S10 or plus if you want the extra screen.

A lot of people recommend the Pixel and in real world usage the main cameras seem to trade blows with each other. It's the extra lenses that help with the S10. One other thing is the large forehead and chin or notch on the Pixel, both put me off.

Soldato
Problem I have with the S series is that they're unbelievably slow and unreliable compared to Pixel devices I've owned. I've had an S6, S7 Edge and S8, all of which went downhill after 6 months.

On my S8 I have daily system crashes, app crashes galore and general hanging in the OS. Pixel wasn't perfect, but it was a dam site better.

Just don't feel the OS is polished enough for a daily driver

Soldato
That's what swayed it for me on the S10e, ultrawide adds so much more versatility than your regular single camera setup.

Caporegime
Any opinions on p30 pro?

Looks like pixel, p30 pro and s10 are in running.
And for camera it's stills not vids

Apple is a no go, forgot to say

The whole US vs Huawei is a bit concerning. Although I understand it shouldn’t effect current models.

Depending on budget, pixel 3 or 3a.

Pixel 3A isn’t waterproof.

I’d agree with others above that an ultra wide camera is a really useful addition.

Caporegime
OP
The zoom on the p30 is what had me interested in that
Was trying to get pictures of seals from my kayak yesterday on my s7 and couldn't

The s7 I find is great most of the time but zoom obviously is digital and naff

Dissapointed to see the non zoom shots both better in the S and pixels.

It feels as if I'm going to have to choose on that point

Soldato
If zoom is important then from experience, compared to Xperia 1, S10 Plus and Note 9, Huawei is unrivalled by quite a margin. Night mode is also insane compared to others I've tried.

I really couldn't get along with the colours on it though but not sure if its been fixed since with updates. Just the whole ban thing hanging over it at the moment really.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would not get Pixel 3. Yes, the camera is very good, but the phone itself is lacking. 4GB of RAM etc.? no thanks. it's also too expensive, considering new, much improved model is due soon-ish.
3A? no waterproofing, weak performance now, it'll degrade even more as with all pixels. it's slow for me even now compared to other phones suggested.
I would not get S10e, the camera setup is inferior to S10/+. It's more S9 performance. I would also not get S10+, too big, too big cutout for selfiecam, the battery size difference does not really translate to longer stamina.
Huawei, well...not taking any risks with spending so much on a phone.
OnePlus 7 Pro - great choice, if camera was not on your priority list.

So all in all, in the current market, S10 is a clear all round winner.

Last edited:
Soldato
What price would you need to pay for a proper camera that can take better zoomed pictures then a S10 and is waterproof ?

Just wondering if having a proper camera would be better then using just a mobile phone camera

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
What price would you need to pay for a proper camera that can take better zoomed pictures then a S10 and is waterproof ?

Just wondering if having a proper camera would be better then using just a mobile phone camera

Possible actually And no doubt cheaper.

Can't be a dslr. I want something I can take out on my kayak be not a go pro as that's more an action cam. But phones these days rival most cheap cams and have water proofing

Soldato
tbh, I do have S9 (S10 inbound), gopro and Sony RX100 and going kayaking, I would primarily take gopro (or similar camera) 10 out of 10 times.

Caporegime
OP
Maybe would be better to keep s7 and just get a go pro (or other action brand)

How do they work for taking pics of interesting things?like I saw a load of jelly fish, how would I get a pic of those? Couldn't mount it on my kayak

Caporegime
One of the S10's. After having done a lot of research (and settled for the s10e myself as i hate big phones), it is the best all round current gen phone i reckon.

I hate how google have followed Apple in only giving 64gb of space with no expandable sd slot in the base model.

64gb with no sd slot for a £700 rrp phone. You have to be having a laugh haven't you? Then they want £100 more for the 128gb model? Again, what? Since when does 64gb of flash memory cost that? You can get NVME 1 TB SSDs for £100 these days.

At least Samsung have the decency to give you 128gb even in the base models AND still give you a micro sd slot.

Back
Top Bottom