• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which 2080ti

Associate
if I was going to purchase a 2080ti in a couple of weeks, which one should I get?

There’s a huge variety and as I’m a newbie, I can’t tell the differences between the £1000 and £1600 versions :(

I have a i5 8600 and 650 watt power. Would that throttle it?

Soldato
I have a i5 8600 and 650 watt power. Would that throttle it?

It won't be very good, not bad but not top frame rates either. Do yourself a favour and upgrade the rest of the system and then finish it off with a nice G/card.. Post your specs, inc monitor and lets see what can be done to maximise things.

Just getting the fastest G/card may not be the best thing to do as they are so absurdly expensive, we all like shiny things but as Rob said Nvidia are really taking the mickey with the cost of their cards, and are not worth £1600 to most, you could possibly get a better rounded system for less money with higher FPS - unless you have to get a 2080ti no matter what.

Soldato
There is a Turing refresh coming next month so i think you should consider the 2080 super which should come in at around £600/£650 and spend the rest of the cash on upgrading the rest of your system.

Associate
You need to be careful with your PSU as 650 is the minimum for a 2080ti.
If I were buying it would be an EVGA 100% just for the peace of mind, their warranty is a huge bonus and you can even extend it when you register the product. Plus its transferable if you sell the card down the line.
When looking at cards look at the boost as a guide. if its 1545mhz boost then it isn't an A chip (A chips clock better) Anything over 1545 and overclocked out of the box will be an A chip.

Soldato
Imo the only question is, how much does noise matter? More or less that's going to be the main difference, and mostly if you want to push it to the absolute limit OCing. For anything that isn't 4K, definitely don't go for one of the top models. Overall, this would be my pick:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,139.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

It's cool, it's quiet, it has an A chip AND to top it off - 5 year warranty (remember to register it!). You can go for the £1K 2080 ti as well, and save yourself some money, but imo the price difference for the Zotac is justified.

Soldato
Imo the only question is, how much does noise matter? More or less that's going to be the main difference, and mostly if you want to push it to the absolute limit OCing. For anything that isn't 4K, definitely don't go for one of the top models. Overall, this would be my pick:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,139.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

It's cool, it's quiet, it has an A chip AND to top it off - 5 year warranty (remember to register it!). You can go for the £1K 2080 ti as well, and save yourself some money, but imo the price difference for the Zotac is justified.

yes yes yes zotac ….

Soldato
If I were buying it would be an EVGA 100% just for the peace of mind, their warranty is a huge bonus and you can even extend it when you register the product. Plus its transferable if you sell the card down the line.
When looking at cards look at the boost as a guide. if its 1545mhz boost then it isn't an A chip (A chips clock better) Anything over 1545 and overclocked out of the box will be an A chip.

Yeah 650w is pushing it

Let’s be theoretical - you get an Evga A chip 2080ti, overclock in msi - 370w peak draw. You also buy a 5ghz 9900k - 250w peak draw. That’s potential 620w draw just on those two parts

Associate
It's fine, stuff it in and rip it. There might be some outliers but generally it's a great match. Sure you can drop 800 GBP to upgrade your cpu/mobo/ram but that will give you what, like 10 extra frames ?

Last edited:
Soldato

Its not transferable. May have been in the past but its not now. I just went through the details when I sold my 2080ti. You can unregister the product from your account but they have added text now that says that once you do they will not provide support for the card and it can not be re-registered to another person as the serial is effectively deleted from their database.

Associate
Will the 2080 not do what you need? I regret buying the 2080Ti the difference in performance and price over the 2080 is not worth it, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom