• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Soldato
That may be the case for one specific kit but it doesn't change the fact prices are massively down across the board. :confused:

2x8GB of decent 3200mhz DDR4 is sub £80 now.

Even Trident Z RGB is £115 ish, not awful if you must have that specific kit.
I was looking at 32gb. At one point it was at 250, now it's over 300. I know I'm being specific but I just don't see why prices have to increase that much for the same kit

Soldato
How much are you hoping to save on the CPU and motherboard?
Well, I want my next upgrade to be an i9k, hero xi, 32gb ram and decent cooler.

4 months ago this combined was 1.5k. I've just done another basket total and I'm now looking at 1.2k. Ram, cpu and cooler (140 nzxt) have all dropped in price. Id like the mobo to drop under 300 and I'll be very tempted to press the trigger

Soldato
Well, I want my next upgrade to be an i9k, hero xi, 32gb ram and decent cooler.

4 months ago this combined was 1.5k. I've just done another basket total and I'm now looking at 1.2k. Ram, cpu and cooler (140 nzxt) have all dropped in price. Id like the mobo to drop under 300 and I'll be very tempted to press the trigger

Hero XI, Hero XI Wi-fi, Hero XI Gene, Hero XI Code, Hero XI Apex, Hero XI Formula, or Hero XI Extreme?

Soldato
It's already less than £300, in fact it can be had for as little as £275, so you are waiting for the 9900K to drop, what is your buying price?
Is that the WiFi one? I've seen the non WiFi one for around that price. I'd like the lot for under a grand tbh. So under 400 for the i9, 200 for the ram, 275 for the mobo and 124 for the cooler.

I think that's realistic

Soldato
Is that the WiFi one? I've seen the non WiFi one for around that price. I'd like the lot for under a grand tbh. So under 400 for the i9, 200 for the ram, 275 for the mobo and 124 for the cooler.

I think that's realistic

Yep, that is the Wi-Fi one.

Well if Intel drop the MSRP of the 9900K from $488, to $415 you might get one for around £400-410. Not sure if it is worth it at that price though, since the platform is a dead end, so its not a good long term build. When i say long term I am talking like the 2500K/2600K was, I'd say the board/CPU would need to be at least 25% cheaper than the equivalent X570+Ryzen 3xxx to compensate for it, unless you need the iGPU of course in which case 9900K seems ok.

Permabanned

Well if Intel drop the MSRP of the 9900K from $488, to $415 you might get one for around £400-410. Not sure if it is worth it at that price though, since the platform is a dead end, so its not a good long term build. When i say long term I am talking like the 2500K/2600K was, I'd say the board/CPU would need to be at least 25% cheaper than the equivalent X570+Ryzen 3xxx to compensate for it, unless you need the iGPU of course in which case 9900K seems ok.
Very useful advice, thanks, the 9xxxx do seem a bit of a frankenstine

Soldato

Yes that does worry me a bit. The current build I have is the 2600k and I want something that is as long term. I'd rather max out what I have motherboard wise and only upgrade the gpu over the next several years as I have done with my current build

Soldato
Yes that does worry me a bit. The current build I have is the 2600k and I want something that is as long term. I'd rather max out what I have motherboard wise and only upgrade the gpu over the next several years as I have done with my current build

Can't really guess how important PCI-E 4.0 will be, since currently it isn't very significant for the average user. However in 5 years time, you might need 4.0 to get the most from a GPU upgrade, or on the other hand a PCI-E 3.0 16x might still be fine.

I'm not sure I'd want to invest almost £300 in a motherboard, if I wasn't 100% sure about it being relevant within the upgrade cycle you have. Much better off doing a mid-range upgrade twice, and ending up with a faster system overall for longer. I'd say X470 board ~£170, with a 3700X ~£320, would give you 97-99% of the 9900K, but with budget left over for a new board and CPU after 2-3 years, and being way ahead of where you'd have been otherwise.
Let's also not forget spending big on DDR4 is a bad move as it is effectively end of life in 12 months, you are much better off just getting the cheapest 32GB kit at the speed you want, rather than over paying for RGB and specific IC's unless you are overclocking within an inch of its life. £125 will get you 32GB 3000MHz Corsair RAM, which is probably 1-2% slower than your G.Skill RAM which is 70% more expensive!

X470, 3700X, 32GB Corsair RAM = ~£615 + your blingy cooler. :)

Caporegime
I’d buy a a B450 now while you still can with a great VRM like the MSI pro carbon for £119

Flash the bios via USB no chip needed and get a 3700x

32gb ram is not really needed tbh...

Soldato
Can't really guess how important PCI-E 4.0 will be, since currently it isn't very significant for the average user. However in 5 years time, you might need 4.0 to get the most from a GPU upgrade, or on the other hand a PCI-E 3.0 16x might still be fine.

I'm not sure I'd want to invest almost £300 in a motherboard, if I wasn't 100% sure about it being relevant within the upgrade cycle you have. Much better off doing a mid-range upgrade twice, and ending up with a faster system overall for longer. I'd say X470 board ~£170, with a 3700X ~£320, would give you 97-99% of the 9900K, but with budget left over for a new board and CPU after 2-3 years, and being way ahead of where you'd have been otherwise.
Let's also not forget spending big on DDR4 is a bad move as it is effectively end of life in 12 months, you are much better off just getting the cheapest 32GB kit at the speed you want, rather than over paying for RGB and specific IC's unless you are overclocking within an inch of its life. £125 will get you 32GB 3000MHz Corsair RAM, which is probably 1-2% slower than your G.Skill RAM which is 70% more expensive!

X470, 3700X, 32GB Corsair RAM = ~£615 + your blingy cooler. :)
Haha you make a very interesting argument and tbh my very first gaming rig had an AMD processor in it. The 570 boards are going to be crazy expensive as well.

I understand your logic with the double mid range upgrade but I'm more of a " spend high, spend once " guy

Soldato
Haha you make a very interesting argument and tbh my very first gaming rig had an AMD processor in it. The 570 boards are going to be crazy expensive as well.

I understand your logic with the double mid range upgrade but I'm more of a " spend high, spend once " guy

I totally get that, but my argument was based on the fact you may end up having to upgrade mid-life, if for some reason GPU's suddenly become fast inside of your intended system life span. :)

The point about the RAM still stands, unless you are buying the RAM for the RGB, then it isn't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom