• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Man of Honour
The 7950/7970 are outliers really, the amount of overclocking on them was unheard of at the time and it's unheard of now.

Maybe I'm misreading what you are saying but there have been a fair few GPUs with crazy overclocking potential - the AMD 5xxx cards usually overclocked well, especially the 5850 and the GTX470 was generally a monster clocker (helped by being underclocked out the factory) - with the 1.1v mod most would hit 900MHz versus their stock 607MHz.

Soldato
I’m really not sure about that.
It's very well documented Google away, however there are some downsides, power usage, maybe shortening the life of the card, not claiming 2070 beating perfmance but for half the cost modded vega 56 gets very close, minus rtx :p

Caporegime
Maybe I'm misreading what you are saying but there have been a fair few GPUs with crazy overclocking potential - the AMD 5xxx cards usually overclocked well, especially the 5850 and the GTX470 was generally a monster clocker (helped by being underclocked out the factory) - with the 1.1v mod most would hit 900MHz versus their stock 607MHz.

It was more for the AMD side.

While I was writing it I remember the 5870, that would go to 1Ghz but it was only a 10% overclock.

I'd forgotten about the 5850s stock clock.

I remember the 470 like, I built a rig with two of those in SLI that over clocked really well.

Either way I don't think it's true to say the GPU's are left with untapped potential really.

Soldato
What annoys me most is that it looks like AMD are going to ignore the fact that RTX has extra features and roughly price match RTX cards based on pure performance, Ray Tracing may not offer a lot today but that's not the point.
But that's entirely the point. Ray tracing right now is an overpriced gimmick used badly in less than a handful of titles. The simple fact that Ray tracing is coming to PS5 and X Box shows AMD are not ignoring it, but implementing it at a later date, either because it's not ready or because they want to do a proper job with it. Can you imagine the faux outrage if AMD implemented a half-assed ray tracer in Navi 10? "can't beat Nvidia and still 1 year late to the party" blah blah blah, despite that Nvidia's ray tracing is also a half-assed, early adopter beta test. But that suddenly won't matter.

Caporegime
But that's entirely the point. Ray tracing right now is an overpriced gimmick used badly in less than a handful of titles. The simple fact that Ray tracing is coming to PS5 and X Box shows AMD are not ignoring it, but implementing it at a later date, either because it's not ready or because they want to do a proper job with it. Can you imagine the faux outrage if AMD implemented a half-assed ray tracer in Navi 10? "can't beat Nvidia and still 1 year late to the party" blah blah blah, despite that Nvidia's ray tracing is also a half-assed, early adopter beta test. But that suddenly won't matter.

It's an overpriced gimmick.
But Navi's similar price without it.

Permabanned

Hi, As you said it's an overpriced gimmick, that's my point, Nvidia are overpricing RTX cards & AMD want us to pay just as much without the overpriced gimmick. Today we can buy an acceptable twin fan RTX 2070 for £480, based on the current Navi pricing non reference 5700XT's will likely cost just as much if AMD have their way.

It's an overpriced gimmick.
But Navi's similar price without it.

Exactly.

I'm not questioning if Ray-tracing makes it worth paying the extra, it doesn't, I'm questioning AMD pointing out it's not worth having & then asking just as much for cards without it.

Associate
I'm not questioning if Ray-tracing makes it worth paying the extra, it doesn't, I'm questioning AMD pointing out it's not worth having & then asking just as much for cards without it.

Well, Nvidia's price gouging has been working well for them, people are still buying, so AMD likely don't see a reason not to charge similar prices. This is all a result of people being prepared to pay over the odds, and it's not going to stop now.

AMD used to be the budget manufacturer, but people still bought Nvidia. So they're changing tactics, and honestly the consumers are largely responsible.

Permabanned
Well, Nvidia's price gouging has been working well for them, people are still buying, so AMD likely don't see a reason not to charge similar prices. This is all a result of people being prepared to pay over the odds, and it's not going to stop now.

AMD used to be the budget manufacturer, but people still bought Nvidia. So they're changing tactics, and honestly the consumers are largely responsible.

I agree.

Associate
AMD has always released on par products with the same price tags as nvidia. Why do you think AMD is the budget when their products on launch have always represented worse value?

Strange, I've had numerous AMD cards over the years, and nearly all of them cost me less than the Nvidia equivalents. Then again, I also never buy on launch day, as that's a sure way of paying over the odds no matter which manufacturer you choose.

bru

bru

Soldato

Now of course anything is possible, but just remember this is going to be an APU, so I certainly wouldn't expect miracles.

Associate
It's very well documented Google away, however there are some downsides, power usage, maybe shortening the life of the card, not claiming 2070 beating perfmance but for half the cost modded vega 56 gets very close, minus rtx :p

Steve knows what hes doing, the fact you have to physically mod the card to be able to get that level of performance doesnt mean that the Vega56 is anywhere near as good as the 2070. it can do it, sure, but should it? and for how long will it? i

i dont buy that video as an argument the 56 is on the same level as a 2070. Great video though.

Associate
Strange, I've had numerous AMD cards over the years, and nearly all of them cost me less than the Nvidia equivalents.

The last Radeon card I had (other than a Vega 64 which I sold on again after a few weeks) was an X800 Pro. They were ahead in performance and higher in prices back then, IIRC.

(I may be wrong, it's been a long time)

Last edited:
Soldato
Steve knows what hes doing, the fact you have to physically mod the card to be able to get that level of performance doesnt mean that the Vega56 is anywhere near as good as the 2070. it can do it, sure, but should it? and for how long will it? i

i dont buy that video as an argument the 56 is on the same level as a 2070. Great video though.

Just flash a vega 64 bios, and undervolt and the OC'ing fun begins, not 2070 beating, but near performance :)

Back
Top Bottom