• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Comparing launch prices is fine but you still need to acknowledge that AMD CPU prices tend to drop throughout the year, even before they go EOL. Intel's CPUs usually don't, which actually makes them worse value the closer we get to an AMD CPU launch.

Caporegime
Associate
This is like a car accident when you cant look away, in this case i cant help reading all whats posted here and i feel i'm wasting a little part of my life away doing so.

Time to use the Ignore feature again, even though some call that being childish :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Comparing launch prices is fine but you still need to acknowledge that AMD CPU prices tend to drop throughout the year, even before they go EOL. Intel's CPUs usually don't, which actually makes them worse value the closer we get to an AMD CPU launch.

They do but surely no one should have to explain the difference between the launch of a new product and clearing out EOL stock, everything in-between and why that has an effect on pricing.

Soldato
They do but surely no one should have to explain the difference between the launch of a new product and clearing out EOL stock, everything in-between and why that has an effect on pricing.

AMD aren't EOL'ing the 2xxx series for a good while yet, but the price reductions that they are making soon, and have made over the last 6 months have been significant enough to move the mid-level, to the entry level. Look out for the <£109 2600, and the <£199 2700X's staying as a reminder that even if Intel drop pricing AMD have got the value segment covered as well.

I think you only need to look at the number of 2600's being sold to see how significant pushing them down the 6c/12t to a entry level price is so important, it was only 18 months ago that Intel wanted £110 for a dual core i3, the 9400F is the closest they have to compete, and they need to knock 30% off it to get close.

Caporegime
AMD have released zero EOL notices for Ryzen 2xxx CPU's, and it is unlikely they will stop making them for sometime yet.

Ok that brings up two questions.

1, Why would they specifically make an announcement about ending production of Ryzen 2000? If anything they have good reason not to, saying a product is EOL while still on sale is not a good idea because people stop buying and wait, like we are now.

2, why would they continue making previous generation CPU's?

Permabanned
They are only that price BECAUSE a new product is coming out. Their price shifts down a tier or two, along with their relative performance. The reality is that a 6c 3600 will equal (MT) or beat (ST) an 8c 2700X, so the 2700X is effectively replaced by a $199 CPU.

You can't replace an octo-core with a hexa-core. It's anti-consumer and disingenuous by AMD if they even think about it. The way Windows and applications work these days will mean you commit a suicide.

See the Amdahl's Law and how much speedup you get from upping the cores https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-many-cores-do-we-need.627100/ :

"So for great ECS performance you and Unity need to go ECS pure (near 100% parallel) and we need platforms with > 8 cores."

"Let's pause for a moment and consider the benefit of this is not necessarily limited to the same program, at the same time."

24dewif.jpg

Caporegime

The CPU's in question can just be part of a lower segment, they're good sellers and AMD don't have a reason to remove them, any money they could make on pushing 3000s instead is probably lost on not making any on a segment that you now have no (less) chips for. muh opinion.

Soldato
Ok that brings up two questions.

1, Why would they specifically make an announcement about ending production of Ryzen 2000? If anything they have good reason not to, saying a product is EOL while still on sale is not a good idea because people stop buying and wait, like we are now.

I'm not sure where your background lies, but from an engineering perspective any company with a controlled product line that is used in industry announces any change using a PCN, that includes EOL notifications to allow you to order what you need, for when you need it.

In answer to question two, why does any company make previous models of anything? Supply and demand normally. Demand will still exist within in certain industries for specific models of CPU's, similar to how one of the system I designed when Threadripper first came out used a 1950X, and due to the qualification process involved cannot just be swapped out for a 2950X even if we wanted to.

Don
Not sure your 1 makes any sense, people hold fire because they know something new is coming.

As regards 2, there’s still a market lower down for them, and if they still make profit making them, they will.

Associate
You can't replace an octo-core with a hexa-core. It's anti-consumer and disingenuous by AMD if they even think about it. The way Windows and applications work these days will mean you commit a suicide.

See the Amdahl's Law and how much speedup you get from upping the cores https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-many-cores-do-we-need.627100/ :

"So for great ECS performance you and Unity need to go ECS pure (near 100% parallel) and we need platforms with > 8 cores."

"Let's pause for a moment and consider the benefit of this is not necessarily limited to the same program, at the same time."

24dewif.jpg

You really do post some absolute drivel.

Caporegime
Ok but how does this relate to 4K8KW10 whose trying to make the point that AMD have moved the pricing of their CPU's up, just a couple posts up he's making yet another argument that AMD are selling Hexa Core in place of Octa Core, derived presumably from the fact that the 2700 is now £200 which is what the 3600 will be priced at.

surely you guys can't think that argument is actually valid?

Permabanned
You really do post some absolute drivel.

I don't force you. It's your choice if you want to stay with a hexa-core and enjoy your micro-stuttering while the tasks switch between the cores and overload them. It's your choice if you want to stay with primitive and ancient physics and other effects.

Caporegime
He works hard to research his drivel though, and everyone loves a tryer. :p

Meanwhile, I'm going to upgrade my car engine every year at ever reducing prices, because that's his logic.

To me it just seems like trolling. you don't buy an updated version of anything and complain it costs more than the old one which has been heavily discounted because its the old one.

Back
Top Bottom