Prebuilt system - advice please!

Associate
OP
Tried one stick of ram and still no dice.

Thanks for all your help guys. What a ******* that it ended this way but you’ve been so helpful.

The processor was Amazon so nice easy return at least

Soldato
If the above fails - and try alternating sticks if one fails - you could try the following:

Do you know how to clear the CMOS?

The BIOS may need forget the trauma it's been through and perhaps unplug all unnecessary leads - case fan supply, case USB and only still have 1 stick installed (NOT CPU fan):
  • unplug computer from wall
  • press case button to deplete all residual power
  • then clear CMOS - JBAT1 pins bottom right of your motherboard (use a jumper cap for about 5/10 seconds - if supplied - or bridge the gap between the two pins with a screwdriver for a few seconds)
  • switch on power
  • go to BIOS
  • loaded optimised defaults
  • ignore XMP for now
  • try windows install - one last time
  • if you get the option delete partitions
  • follow in screen prompts...
Best of luck.

*Did you install the CPU heatsink by screwing each screw, a bit at a time - i.e. tightening diagonally opposite corners bit by bit?

Man of Honour
Tried one stick of ram and still no dice.

Thanks for all your help guys. What a ******* that it ended this way but you’ve been so helpful.

The processor was Amazon so nice easy return at least
try plec's suggestion first, if not then RMA
it happens sometimes unfortunately that one part can be DOA

Soldato
it happens sometimes unfortunately that one part can be DOA
If this does prove to be the CPU it's the 5th/6th DOA CPU i've come across on thread builds. The weird part being that 2 presented themselves in the past 3 weeks out of the 5/6 in the past 20 years of helping with builds. :/

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. Done all of the above and still the same result. Thanks for trying for me but looks like I’m asking Amazon for a replacement cpu!

Associate
OP
Plec yeah the heat sink was a bit of a bugger, seemed to need a bit more force than I expected to firmly get the screws to the nuts, but yeah I think I did opposite diagonal corners to get it secure then tightened the others

Soldato
So what is happening when you switch the power on?

Also, could you confirm what kettle lead you used for the PSU and how the end compares to that of the original (bit that fits into back of PSU) - i.e. was it a secure fit?

I have known different leads to cause an issue - and you unfortunately couldn't use the supplied lead with you new PSU (you should get this corrected at the same time - they should post one out to you)

Associate
OP
So what is happening when you switch the power on?

Also, could you confirm what kettle lead you used for the PSU and how the end compares to that of the original (bit that fits into back of PSU) - i.e. was it a secure fit?

I have known different leads to cause an issue - and you unfortunately couldn't use the supplied lead with you new PSU (you should get this corrected at the same time - they should post one out to you)

When I switch the power on I get the MSI logo and then it finds the usb drive and takes me to the windows installer. Then when I start using the installer ie clicking through the menus, after anywhere between 5-30 seconds it’ll crash and take me to a black screen.

All fans still run but the cpu light on the mobo lights up red and I have to power it off.

I used the lead from my printer for the psu, but to be sure it wasn’t at fault I swapped it to the one from the monitor and used the printer lead for the monitor. Same results.

Associate
OP
Interestingly just been on to amazon and sorted a refund, I notice that although it was sold and dispatched by amazon, it’s from a third party seller. Makes you wonder....with the price being so competitive, is it a dodgy batch of cpus or something.

The PSU and GPU were from OC so I’ll get on to them about those issues

Soldato
I used the lead from my printer for the psu, but to be sure it wasn’t at fault I swapped it to the one from the monitor and used the printer lead for the monitor. Same results.
I wish all new builders showed your initiative - the last guy with a DOA CPU was the same (i'll add we hope it's the CPU - there's a possibility it could be the motherboard or even the PSU).

Interestingly just been on to amazon and sorted a refund, I notice that although it was sold and dispatched by amazon, it’s from a third party seller. Makes you wonder....with the price being so competitive, is it a dodgy batch of cpus or something.
Was the seal secure?

Man of Honour
If this does prove to be the CPU it's the 5th/6th DOA CPU i've come across on thread builds. The weird part being that 2 presented themselves in the past 3 weeks out of the 5/6 in the past 20 years of helping with builds. :/
indeed. seems like they have a high rate of DOA recently...
but once confirmed working, they are the least likely to fail (in addition to ram)

Soldato
but once confirmed working, they are the least likely to fail
True, i've never had one fail yet - i keep all my old CPUs - unless given away. Even then i'll get some back when not needed if they're epic - e.g. q6600 g0 and T-bird/L1 pencil trick - *cough*Abit*cough* board never made it out alive - somehow split in two)

(in addition to ram)
Never trust the stuff until it leaves my board - although admittedly it's been years since i've had issues (unreasonable now, i know, but got bitten in the ass so much by erroneous sticks in the past)

Associate
OP
I wish all new builders showed your initiative - the last guy with a DOA CPU was the same (i'll add we hope it's the CPU - there's a possibility it could be the motherboard or even the PSU).

Was the seal secure?

Yeah the seal was secure. I’ll get the replacement elsewhere and if I still have a problem then I’m guessing the issue lies elsewhere

Soldato
Yeah the seal was secure. I’ll get the replacement elsewhere and if I still have a problem then I’m guessing the issue lies elsewhere
Well, best of luck - you more or less know what you're doing regarding build. You'll at least know very quickly if it is or it isn't.

You could ask for a replacement PSU - as this would rule this out too. Reason for this is if you get your replacement CPU and have the same problem you would then be looking hard at the PSU and motherboard as the problem. You could 'statistically' rule the PSU out via OcUK's error.

Soldato
bad ram is normally bad from the beginning though. rarely fails during its lifetime of use
You would think - but i had an extraordinarily unlucky run in the early 00s - i'm still scarred :D

It is an unreasonable grudge i know - but warranted (i may have contradicted myself there).

Back
Top Bottom