Insurgency Sandstorm - Unreal Engine 4

Caporegime
No, it would be good if it had decent performance... gunplay is solid, it just doesn't run smooth for many people regardless of settings.

there's still 24 hours left on the free weekend, so u can try it yourself.

Thanks will give it a go. Shooters that run like a dogs dinner are no fun for me. Like PUBG I'm the early days was just unplayable.

Soldato
It gets quite mad on the smaller / tighter maps!

Really loving the hardcore co-op, the pace is so much slower but I find it incredibly atmospheric and it just draws me in, very enjoyable.

Hardcore is all I’m playing now. Same as you I’m loving the slower pace (well if people play it properly) and more team work. The sound design on this game is simply outstanding, sucks you right in to the game.

Soldato
I'm getting 60 fps max settings at 4k with a 1080ti. I wouldn't consider that bad performance. Its similar to battlefront 2 I would say. Is it true that Intel i5s struggle at this game? If settings make no difference than you are cpu bottlenecked.

Soldato
I prefer the original to this having played a few hours now. Can't put a finger on why though - just something about the feel of it. Feels more arcadey?

Edit: Ok. I take that back - Hardcore is superb. The rest, arcade.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I prefer the original to this having played a few hours now. Can't put a finger on why though - just something about the feel of it. Feels more arcadey?

It runs a lot worse than the original without actually looking a whole deal better. Maps are bigger though which is a decent upgrade.

Soldato

I've pretty much only played co-op since getting the game. Dabbled in PVP a few times, but I can sink hours into co-op.
Hardcore co-op is fantastic on a good server with people communicating. But the lethality of the bots can be incredibly frustrating. Sometimes the bots exhibit behaviour which from a human player would be obvious hacking.

I don't mind challenging AI, but sometimes, this can be rage inducing. I was playing on a "tactical" server last night, where people are encouraged to move slowly and clear as many bots as possible before capping objectives. The map was Precinct (I think? the one in a city), I was dead (standard) and waiting to respawn, so I had to sit patiently and wait a good 4-5 minutes while the last 2 guys were clearing. They finally capped the point, and I re-spawned and began to move up. 30 seconds later, I peeked out of a window overlooking the courtyard point. There was a bot maybe 20 metres aware on the ground level walking through the courtyard. I was at his 2 o'clock in a darkened window, and yet as soon as I peeked, he saw me and fired instantly without so much as stopping to aim.

Stuff like this and their apparent clairvoyance when it comes to knowing to push exactly as you tap the reload key, or their ability to land perfectly cooked grenades/molotovs directly in your back pocket, really suck the fun out of it. I wish they'd tone down some of the superhuman abilities just a tad - there's no satisfaction in losing to an enemy like that.

Aside from that though, the game is great. Thoroughly enjoying it after some initial reservations :)

Soldato
The super accurate Molotov are the only annoying thing to me.

Thrown items are so accurate that I actually have been hit in the face by grenades in the past, but at least with a grenade you have time to move before it explodes. The Molotovs are instant death.

Does anyone who played during the early access days wonder where all the stray RPGs have gone? You used to get RPGs whizzing past and it was so atmospheric now I don't really see any.

Soldato
I've pretty much only played co-op since getting the game. Dabbled in PVP a few times, but I can sink hours into co-op.
Hardcore co-op is fantastic on a good server with people communicating. But the lethality of the bots can be incredibly frustrating. Sometimes the bots exhibit behaviour which from a human player would be obvious hacking.

I don't mind challenging AI, but sometimes, this can be rage inducing. I was playing on a "tactical" server last night, where people are encouraged to move slowly and clear as many bots as possible before capping objectives. The map was Precinct (I think? the one in a city), I was dead (standard) and waiting to respawn, so I had to sit patiently and wait a good 4-5 minutes while the last 2 guys were clearing. They finally capped the point, and I re-spawned and began to move up. 30 seconds later, I peeked out of a window overlooking the courtyard point. There was a bot maybe 20 metres aware on the ground level walking through the courtyard. I was at his 2 o'clock in a darkened window, and yet as soon as I peeked, he saw me and fired instantly without so much as stopping to aim.

Stuff like this and their apparent clairvoyance when it comes to knowing to push exactly as you tap the reload key, or their ability to land perfectly cooked grenades/molotovs directly in your back pocket, really suck the fun out of it. I wish they'd tone down some of the superhuman abilities just a tad - there's no satisfaction in losing to an enemy like that.

Aside from that though, the game is great. Thoroughly enjoying it after some initial reservations :)

I fortunately didn't face any really brutal aimbot deaths - mine were all totally acceptable in that I did something stupid or obviously risky.

The molotovs area crazy though, and always just too well placed to be believable.

I enjoyed the free weekend, but won't be buying it as the only thing that appealed was the hardcore co-op.

Soldato
Played the "Zombie" mode last night. That was kinda hilarious, very different pace to normal games which was good if hectic. Was good to jump back into a normal game and feel like you had time to react! Turns out knifes are much scarier than guns! :p

Soldato
Wanted a modern shooter that's fun and that I can just jump in and out of. Picked this up in the Steam sale, it's pretty damn good ain't it? Playing a mixture of COOP and PVP and the game is an absolute blast. Haven't tried the zombie mode yet, but will give it a go soon.

Associate
Wanted a modern shooter that's fun and that I can just jump in and out of. Picked this up in the Steam sale, it's pretty damn good ain't it? Playing a mixture of COOP and PVP and the game is an absolute blast. Haven't tried the zombie mode yet, but will give it a go soon.
It's the only one I play online, just co-op vs ai but lots of fun, I like the slower pace, tried CSGO again recently and all the running and jumping I found annoying

Soldato
Yeah, it's amazing how quickly you go through a drum magazine on an L85 in this mode before hearing that dreaded click. Just don't like how running away cancels the reload, that needs sorting out.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I feel like drum mags are cheating in frenzy, I stick with normal mags and the ammo carrier and try to stick to single fire! Makes it even more intense :D

Back
Top Bottom