• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Soldato
Just had a read between the two Fractal Design Celsius 24 and 36. They reckon there isn't much of a difference between the two with cooling below a 300W+ of heat. The Celsius 24 gets a pretty good review anyway!!

Associate
Just had a read between the two Fractal Design Celsius 24 and 36. They reckon there isn't much of a difference between the two with cooling below a 300W+ of heat. The Celsius 24 gets a pretty good review anyway!!

Will be handing down my current internals to a relative so will replace my 240 and the 360 is a good price on the rain forest at the moment.

Associate
4690k here. Was sort of interested in Zen 2 until I tallied up the cost of motherboard\cpu\ram.
Also I use the gpu part of the 4690 for my 2nd screen and my TV connections.
So overall highly unlikely to upgrade.

Associate
I was thinking of waiting myself since games like Bloodlines 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light 2 and Watch Dogs Legion are all early 2020 titles.
Prices would have come down by then so maybe upgrading to Zen 2 at Black Friday or Christmas time is a good idea for me, hmm :D

Soldato
I think I bought my 2500K in January 2011 and it has been running like a champ at 4.5Ghz ever since. However, I'd love for better PUBG performance and can't see me keeping my CPU into 2020.

I wouldn't mind trying an i7 CPU to see whether HT makes any difference? Otherwise I might try to pick up a used 2700X bundle.

Associate
3770K @ 4.4GHZ and contemplating either Zen+ or Zen2. Budget of around £1k and can't decide what to do. Would also like to upgrade my 1080GTX graphics card but prices are silly! As I mainly sim race in VR offline, a decent CPU upgrade would be very beneficial...

Associate
I think any Sandy, Ivy and Haswell replacement in 2019 should at least have 8 cores with 16 threads if you plan to keep it for years.
In 3 weeks we will know much more once the new Ryzen reviews hits but I think the 3700X looks like a good candidate for a strong 8C/16T CPU.

Caporegime
the pricing is the only issue with the new amd cpus. too high on almost everything linked with them. so once the hype dies down and prices get to where they should be they a nice upgrade option for people on aging systems.

Associate
I agree 100% and thats why I talked previously about waiting a few months after Zen 2 is released for the prices to come down.
An added benefit to waiting is that DDR4 ram prices should continue to come down into the fourth quarter by as much as 10%.

Soldato
Same as my plan. I'll be hanging off until the end of the year, start of next. I'll just buy other bits over the next couple of months such as a case.
Already bought a PSU, GPU, 2TB SSD and a 1TB NVME.

Soldato
CPU and memory prices have certainly changed, and this is turning out to be an expensive rebuild as I'm building a complete system, case, psu etc. this time.

Currently my system is:
Antec P180 case ~£80

Corsair HX620 ~£90

Gigabyte Z68 UD3 ~ £90
2500k £155 (replaced with 2600k from MM in 2017) - both around 4.5Ghz
16GB DDR3 (4 Dimms) £70

I think I've had pretty good value out of my value out of the above, so time to move on and ideally looking for motherboard, CPU memory combo that will last a decent time, and probably retire into a media server at some point.
GPU's have cost the most money, having updated to a midrange or previous high end card in the £200 - £300 range every 18m to 2 years, cost of GPUs far exceed rest of system.

Given the limits of silicon clock frequecy seem to be around 5Ghz with normal cooling right back from the pentium IV, I think the direction will continue to be more cores with some IPC uplift along the way so these Ryzen chips look a good long term bet. We have another generate of multicore X86 consoles for developers to continue to optimise thread usage on,

I'm up for a bit of a gamble of release day with the 3900X and a mobo given it's a improvement on the already solid 2700X with more cores. Where I shop depends on which stores do the least gouging, but I'll be waiting until black Friday for a GPU either Nvidia or AMD depending on bang per buck at the time.

Only two questions I have are will the faster clock changes ~1-2ms AMD announced need support from the BIOS and board VRM's therefore only be compatible with X570 for best performance, and how much power do you need to dissipate (cool) for PBO to run at maximum boost. I think having a smaller number of cores able to boost with PBO when needed should give better overall perfomance that an all core overclock with many near idle cores. Unless of course it will do 4.8Ghz on all cores.

Soldato
I'm assuming Microsoft will want another Windows licence too? Although I hope not!

If you change your login to a microsoft identity before you upgrade / change your machine, you can then log back on with that same identity and later change back to a personal username password login. This method avoids any hassles with licensing.

Soldato
Currently running 4770K, 16GB DDR3, RTX 2080 and very tempted by these AMD hypes....will be patient and wait for results before clicking buy on....just about everything but GPU

Similar but a 1080ti and a second hand 4790k together with a second hand motherboard! I'm not desperate but I'm definitely getting the upgrade itch and I'll be eyeing the Ryzen 3 reviews when it comes out. I just want a new toy to play with to be honest.

Soldato
Nearly 8 years and still going on my 2600k @ 4.6ghz. I've only had to update the GPU (Nvidia 580 originally, then 780 and now 1070) to keep it "upto date" with everything I play at 1080p/60hz and I'm really getting excited for the first time in a long while about building a new PC!

Back
Top Bottom