Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Don
Not particularly hyped - seems like a lazy update.

2x micro HDMI ports? How many people really need this?
Usb c? Great that it's available but would be great if they had retained a micro usb version as well.
2GB ram should really have been standard, but probably still to expensive.

Be interesting to see what the usb and ethernet performance is actually like on this model.

Soldato

Usb c? Great that it's available but would be great if they had retained a micro usb version as well.

Be interesting to see what the usb and ethernet performance is actually like on this model.

I think vendors do need to start pushing on the USB C to get it moving forwards, or we'll forever be stuck on both.

I agree that the 2GB of RAM should be standard, with a much beefier CPU, i do wonder how many people will even go for the 1GB RAM version - you'd be a bit miffed if you've got all this processing power and are then bottlenecked by the memory.

With a 3amp PSU, i'd be interested to see the power consumptions on these devices under varying loads - especially as these were always sold as a low powered device.

Don

The biggest and most awesome update is H265 decoder :cool:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I think I'll stump up for one. I've a one B and two two's. Might be time to offload the one and one two and get a four. If it has usb-c, I need to upgrade to it. Simple.

Soldato

Lazy update? 3x faster, Gb lan and bluetooth 5.0, more ram, USB C, dual 4k video outputs, proper hardware video decoding..if that lazy, what were you expecting? :p

Don
Lazy update? 3x faster, Gb lan and bluetooth 5.0, more ram, USB C, dual 4k video outputs, proper hardware video decoding..if that lazy, what were you expecting? :p

Yup

Seems pretty awesome in terms of performance over it's predecessor.

They've pretty much taken every component and said more.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-4-specs-benchmarks/

Comes in 1GB, 2GB, 4GB.

Hopefully Flirc will make a new case, pronto!

https://flirc.tv/more/raspberry-pi-case

Commissario
:D:D Didn't take you long to change your mind!
A tad over four hours *blush*

Once I realised there was an adapter available then I thought it might be worth a punt. I do have a 3A PSU available in the shack and the output from the PoE at the masthead goes through a DC-DC converter that's rated at 3A as well so technically this could be possible.

Temperature will be a concern so I'll have to find a decent HSF combo as well but hey, let's get the hardware here first and I can worry about the technicalities at a later stage.

Soldato
The USB upgrade will add a massive boost to the storage speed as well and also the micro SD read speed has been more than doubled too.

Last edited:
Soldato
2 Lan ports?
Sata or M2 storage?
ECC RAM?
12volt PSU input?
Built in PoE support?

Any of the above would be nice :)

Nice, yes, but quite obscure and not any indication of a lazy update. ECC ram and 12v input? I mean why? Dual lan? Pretty fringe use case on a pi. Storage and PoE can be solved with usb adaptors and a hat. The pi4 updates things that cant be solved with adaptors and hats. I think it's a substantial upgrade tbh.

Back
Top Bottom