Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Hi,
I've recently started a Tidal sub, and would like to have the plugin on my Microserver so feed my Squeezebox Touch. The Microserver is running Expenology, and I have LMS version 7.7 at the moment. The tidal plugin isnt showing in my list of available ones, any idea how I can get it?

Thanks

maj

maj

Soldato
Does anyone boot to their OS using an SD Card? I found a guide ages ago to enable to me to do this so I had four full drives for data. When I try to power on a VM hosted in HyperV, I get the following:

ht1MNiM.png

I found this online so the bit before the numbered suggestions doesn't match my VM but the 3 suggestions to resolve the problem are the same. I vaguely remember having to amend the boot config so that the server knew to boot via the SD Card but now when I run BCDEDIT I get:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.

I believe this is due to hypervisor not running on startup but I'm sure the guide I used added a line to bypass this. Anyone know a way to get hypervisor to start on boot? The service is set to automatically start.

This is for a Gen 8.

maj

maj

Soldato
Why not just use the internal SATA ports and shove a cheap SSD in, speed and durability will likely be significantly better.

This is going back awhile now but there is a reason I had to do it this way. I've also seen it done via usb stick. IIRC it was due to having to set boot to AHCI so that I could use the ODD port to boot to the SSD otherwise it would try to boot to the storage drives rather than ssd. If the way you say to do it possible then please let me know as everything I found pointed me having to bodge the boot process.

I did manage to get the above sorted. I found the guide I originally had and there was a word missing on one of the lines of code involved with making hypervisor start on boot.

Soldato
Sorry if this has been covered before (I have searched and couldn't find anything)

A colleague just got a second hand Gen8 from that auction site. It arrived without the hard drive trays (the pictures did showed them missing). Replacements look expensive. Are there any alternatives/compatible parts?

Many thanks...

Don
Sorry if this has been covered before (I have searched and couldn't find anything)

A colleague just got a second hand Gen8 from that auction site. It arrived without the hard drive trays (the pictures did showed them missing). Replacements look expensive. Are there any alternatives/compatible parts?

Many thanks...

If you know someone with a 3D Printer then you could get some printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3255710

Soldato
If you know someone with a 3D Printer then you could get some printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3255710

I don't but the option of custom colours is amazing! Thanks

You've probably found this item on the auction site. I think the price is reasonable but I only wanted one.....
Hoping the mods allow the link as it's not actually competing with OcUK.

Yeah, saw those. As you say, for a one off it's not too bad but he needs 4 :(

maj

maj

Soldato
I'm pretty sure there are sites out there where you can send them the file and they'll 3D print and post them to you (for a charge of course).

Associate
Finally got my gen7 to accept a secondary network interface.. two actually on one board... for pfsense and other duties.
I tried several, sfp ones as well as normal copper that just didnt work. Finally an 18 quid one does and i have 3 interfaces at a gig now.

Soldato
If you search the computer section of the auction site for 'gen8 cotton' you will be rewarded with an item containing a neat aluminium frame and three filter sheets. I'm pretty sure the filters are no more made of cotton than I am but do look like they're washable. The frame fits inside the Gen8's door, holding the filter in place. I don't know how effective it is yet but it looks like it should catch the worst of the dust drawn in without restricting the air flow too much.
Although it's supposed to be shipped from China, mine actually shipped from the UK and arrived in less than a week.

This has been a PSA.....

Associate
Guys, what do you think the speed difference will be between our beloved HP microservers and the new Raspberry Pi 4? I realise I might be a filthy disloyal heathen.

Back
Top Bottom