Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Associate
Ive just left Midgar, ah man i still love this game so much! im not sure if me playing again is a good thing so close to the remake incase they mess it up!

Caporegime
Ive just left Midgar, ah man i still love this game so much! im not sure if me playing again is a good thing so close to the remake incase they mess it up!

Who cares if they mess it up, it's a remake, the only people who should care is Square Enix, because they're putting a lot of resources into this.

Anyone expecting perfect 1:1 for the game should just ignore it.

Caporegime
Are people not allowed to be disappointed now or something?

They can be, but making it out to be some "haha fooled you, money printers" from Square Enix is disingenuous when it's always been the case that it would be a new experience. The only disappointing thing to me is the episodic crap, but whatever i can get over it (depends on how aggressive they are), as ever perfection is the enemy of good enough.

If it were a simple remaster in 4K with no changes whatsoever i'm sure people would be happy, but it would have lost potential from a remake, which frankly i'm more happy with. I honestly believe that low expectations at all times saves you from a world of bother in being "hyped".

Associate
I'm not expecting a 1:1 remake, I've accepted the battle system probably wouldn't work for today's gamers and the new fans it will attract I just hope they dont mess with the story to much. I'm actually hyped for the remake and think its look good but i still have my concerns

Soldato
They can be, but making it out to be some "haha fooled you, money printers" from Square Enix is disingenuous when it's always been the case that it would be a new experience. The only disappointing thing to me is the episodic crap, but whatever i can get over it (depends on how aggressive they are), as ever perfection is the enemy of good enough.

If it were a simple remaster in 4K with no changes whatsoever i'm sure people would be happy, but it would have lost potential from a remake, which frankly i'm more happy with. I honestly believe that low expectations at all times saves you from a world of bother in being "hyped".
Except the person you replied to said nothing of the sort. You can go in not expecting a 1:1 remake and still be disappointed.

Soldato
Most are going to love the first part, as I've said it's how the handle the world map etc that's key.

If they manage to actually give us a world map of some kind that we can explore to some degree, it will be great.

If they just recreate the main parts of the story and have us warp from one plot point area to the other on rails it will be very much so less than great.

How do you guys think Square Enix will do it? They managed a world map in FF15 but it wasn't as large or as varied as a FF7 map I'd of said.

Then before that we had the on rails FF13.

Still think this first ep is going to be great!

Associate
I agree, the first part they cant really go wrong on. its how they handle the world map and the story after that will be key. I have a horrible feeling we will see a option to keep Aerith alive.

Wasnt there a world map of sorts near the end of FF13?

I think we will get a world map but it wont be as open as the original.

Associate
I agree, the first part they cant really go wrong on. its how they handle the world map and the story after that will be key. I have a horrible feeling we will see a option to keep Aerith alive.

Wasnt there a world map of sorts near the end of FF13?

I think we will get a world map but it wont be as open as the original.
I seriously hope there will be a super obscure way to save Aerith. Would be so amazing.

Soldato
Not sure if it has been mentioned or not but it seems some summons are Pre-order and paid DLC only.

Ugh I think they have some nerve releasing the game in an episodic format THEN charging full price for it and THEN stripping out some content and selling it as Paid DLC or locked behind certain editions.

The picture for the 1st Class one states there will be more pre-order summons as well.

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/562559/final-fantasy-vii-remake-ps4

Deluxe Edition Includes:
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE game
  • Artbook
  • Mini-Soundtrack
  • Steelbook
  • Cactuar Summon Materia DLC

1st Class Edition Includes:
  • FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE game
  • Play Arts Kai Cloud Strife & Hardy Daytona
  • Artbook
  • Mini-Soundtrack
  • Steelbook
  • Cactuar Summon Materia DLC
  • Carbuncle Summon Materia DLC

Soldato
Weird, both of those summons weren't in the original.

Ugh I think they have some nerve releasing the game in an episodic format THEN charging full price for it and THEN stripping out some content and selling it as Paid DLC or locked behind certain editions.

Putting content behind paid DLC immediately or pre-orders is bad practice, but can we please stop going on about the episodic format? This isn't a 1:1 of the original game, we don't know exactly how long EP1 is going to be or how densely it'll be packed. Play through FFVII again, Midgar isn't that chunky - and it's very limited in terms of where you can go and what you can do.

Last edited:
Associate
The only way they can justify the full retail price is if they have completely expand midgar to the point it can be a full RPG title in its own right, carbuncle and cactuar are interesting dlc summon as wingman mentioned they weren't original summons.

Soldato
Weird, both of those summons weren't in the original.
I could have sworn they were but it seems they werent.

Putting content behind paid DLC immediately or pre-orders is bad practice, but can we please stop going on about the episodic format? This isn't a 1:1 of the original game, we don't know exactly how long EP1 is going to be or how densely it'll be packed. Play through FFVII again, Midgar isn't that chunky - and it's very limited in terms of where you can go and what you can do.

You are right, It isn't a 1:1 remake They are taking portions of the game and fleshing it out into its own stand alone game, Telling a different part of the story in each release. To me that seems pretty episodic but if you do not think it is then OK..... I am not overly fussed about arguing that point.

https://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-midgar-only/

Associate
There is going to be a new trailer being released during Tokyo game show so lets hope they do some more new stuff and not too much to the point its spoil the story/plot.

Soldato
To me that seems pretty episodic but if you do not think it is then OK..... I am not overly fussed about arguing that point.

I wasn't suggesting it wasn't episodic - my apologies if it came across that way - I was suggesting that we can't say they've got a nerve releasing this episode at that price as we don't know what this first episode offers in terms of value for money.

The only way they can justify the full retail price is if they have completely expand midgar to the point it can be a full RPG title in its own right, carbuncle and cactuar are interesting dlc summon as wingman mentioned they weren't original summons.

I'll completely back anyone who knocks the full price if FFVIIR EP1 doesn't feel like a full game in its own right (we'd need someone who has never played the original to genuinely answer that), but as I say, right now we can't say how much scope this initial episode contains.

It'll be interesting how they're used in this Remake, and whether or not other summons from other games will be added to future episodes.

Soldato
I wasn't suggesting it wasn't episodic - my apologies if it came across that way - I was suggesting that we can't say they've got a nerve releasing this episode at that price as we don't know what this first episode offers in terms of value for money.

I'll completely back anyone who knocks the full price if FFVIIR EP1 doesn't feel like a full game in its own right (we'd need someone who has never played the original to genuinely answer that), but as I say, right now we can't say how much scope this initial episode contains.

It'll be interesting how they're used in this Remake, and whether or not other summons from other games will be added to future episodes.

I see I meant more that they have a cheek for releasing only part of the game, Regardless of how large, Having PAID DLC already announced and the CE edition being an astronomical price. I can, however, see the value in the standard or even deluxe edition IF.... and I do mean IF... the game is released as a fully-fledged game.

Associate
I agree with the paid dlc already announced, it's a joke, part of final fantasy is going to find the summons or earn them, we shouldn't have to pay for them, also I dont want summons from other games, I want summons from FFVII.

The episodic thing I see it more as Final Fantasy VII 1 and not episode 1 and that it will be treated as it's own series of games that continue on from each other with one big expanded story. Making each entry it's own full game, at least I hope so anyway. Midgar is about 8 hour on the original run, I'm expecting at least a 20 hour + game for a full priced FF.

Associate
20+? Id want at least 40+ hrs for a console/PC grade release otherwise it can't really be deem an RPG in my opinion. Id say 20+ if its portable seems about sensible but even then a lot of portable RPG release are all about 40+ hrs long aswell.
I do expect speedrunners finishing the game in 20 hrs but not if you're playing casually and want to experience everything the game has to offer, if its about 20 hours then I would feel a bit scammed.
If they mix in Aerith character development with Zack into the game during flashback and Zack involvement with sephiroth and tifa then that would be nice touch.

Associate
20+? Id want at least 40+ hrs for a console/PC grade release otherwise it can't really be deem an RPG in my opinion. Id say 20+ if its portable seems about sensible but even then a lot of portable RPG release are all about 40+ hrs long aswell.
I do expect speedrunners finishing the game in 20 hrs but not if you're playing casually and want to experience everything the game has to offer, if its about 20 hours then I would feel a bit scammed.
If they mix in Aerith character development with Zack into the game during flashback and Zack involvement with sephiroth and tifa then that would be nice touch.

Fair comment, to be honest i put 40+ but didnt know if i was going to high! but you are right for a console rpg 40 hours min. Yeah some flashbacks to Zack would be a nice touch and tie in well with the story.

Back
Top Bottom