Road Cycling

Soldato
Actually rode to work this morning, had no other option (single car family!). I'm feeling quite a bit better but not going to say that wasn't hard. Really aware how much I'm suffering so kept things in Z2 or 3 wherever I could. Huge coughing fit and felt rotten when I got to work, but 5 minutes later recovered and feeling quite good from it. A good rest this weekend and back to commuting next week. Just in time for the rain/thunderstorms!

General consensus from a couple of people is that I've got a chest infection, Docs wouldn't have prescribed ibuprofen and paracetamol alongside antibiotics otherwise. Must be quite mild as he didn't say to come back for any checks, just 'if it's not gone in 3-4 weeks or you get worse come back'. :rolleyes:

I had a 2015/16 Tarmac, plus I don't fancy any weird rattling faults etc.

Tempted by a Sonder, Canyon or maybe a Planetx thing currently.
There was a recall on various Futreshocks but as it's Specialized you do pay quite a premium for such a frame and setup. Planetx are ok for the cheap end of things, usually average wheels and open mould/below average frames. Canyon very good for the money, well regarded but you may have nightmares with their supply and support. I've not heard of Sonder.

Seriously regretting staying up stupidly late last night for me (~2230), reluctantly crawled out of bed late for me at ~0730 and spent the morning feeling like I had a hangover... Missed the best of the weather in the Warnford/Hawkley/South Harting area and this afternoon it's on-off showers, again. :(
HAha a bit of a lie in does that to me too - just feel so slow and really struggle. Then again it feels like many months since I had one... 10.30/11pm is my usual bed time so I'm averaging 7 hours sleep a night maximum, even when ill... Should be more but I just can't sleep any earlier!

My little monster wakes up at 5.30-5.45am like clockwork. Can usually get him settled but he'll be wide awake 20-30 mins later and is now big enough to get himself out of bed! He'll go play with some toys for a bit, then just stands at his door calling "mummy, daddy" until one of us appears. Quite cute, as he'll then happily sit on our bed with a book/toys for story time, usually with me while the other half sorts herself out, then it's my turn. We thankfully don't have one of those kids who comes and climbs in bed with us (without asking) or one that just screams in bed until someone comes. But we do have one that is wide awake by 6am at the latest. He must have been a cockerel in a previous life...

Hydra, which is nuts for the money, and presumably odd exit to avoid the problems caused by the tight turn many other exit options create... But yeah, not as aesthetic...
Cable could be made quite a bit shorter which would hide it more and make it less ugly.

I've not had any problems with the exit on my Giant Defy or Specialized Diverge. Both are quite a bit further back! The Giants is really tidy, but they can't do that very easily with carbon frames! ;)

Soldato
The Endurace 7.0 is very capable. Friend just cycled around Cyprus in one. 100-140miles per day. Has also done other daft stuff like 0-2000m (i.e, straight up, with pretty much zero descent). And is planning on a Iron Man with the same bike.

What do people think of going up to the Endurace AL 7 disc? Are the discs worth it considering i'm on the heavier side, even though 90% of my riding isn't in the rain on steep mountains?

Soldato
I love discs but I would say going up to carbon would benefit you more than going for disc over rim brakes for your type of riding. Yes discs will give you superior braking and for long descents like you'll be doing they're fantastic too, but a carbon frame will be stiffer, more comfortable and probably marginally lighter.

Caporegime
Actually rode to work this morning, had no other option (single car family!). I'm feeling quite a bit better but not going to say that wasn't hard. Really aware how much I'm suffering so kept things in Z2 or 3 wherever I could. Huge coughing fit and felt rotten when I got to work, but 5 minutes later recovered and feeling quite good from it. A good rest this weekend and back to commuting next week. Just in time for the rain/thunderstorms!

General consensus from a couple of people is that I've got a chest infection, Docs wouldn't have prescribed ibuprofen and paracetamol alongside antibiotics otherwise. Must be quite mild as he didn't say to come back for any checks, just 'if it's not gone in 3-4 weeks or you get worse come back'. :rolleyes:

There was a recall on various Futreshocks but as it's Specialized you do pay quite a premium for such a frame and setup. Planetx are ok for the cheap end of things, usually average wheels and open mould/below average frames. Canyon very good for the money, well regarded but you may have nightmares with their supply and support. I've not heard of Sonder.

Eurgh Groce, don't know how you do it! I have a sniffle and I'm backing out :D

Yeah I've knocked Planet X off for now, although the Chicken thing is tempting and cheap. I want to do the NC500, so I want something reliable that won't fail on me with ease.

Now considering a Ribble and a Canyon. Canyon is winning currently.

Soldato
On a carbon steerer, does the metal glued insert for the star nut serve a dual purpose (structurally) so when you tighten the stem it doesn’t damage the steerer?

I ask because I don’t know how long the insert is in my fork. It has been cut down already from original but I have the stem at it’s lowest point now (as I have the armrest risers on the TT). You can’t see as the star nut is in the way ;)

Soldato
I'd say it does provide protection against the stem clamping force on the carbon steerer.

The same way the expanding bung does on anything that isn't cervelo.

Aren't they like 75mm or 100mm long to start with?

Soldato
I'd say it does provide protection against the stem clamping force on the carbon steerer.

The same way the expanding bung does on anything that isn't cervelo.

Aren't they like 75mm or 100mm long to start with?

The one I installed on my R5 was pretty long, 70-80mm so I assume the P3 was the same. I’d say I cut 30mm off, then I have 20mm spacers plus the stem thickness so I should be OK, was just worry/wondering really!

Soldato
Sounds like you'll be fine, from a quick skim read they are meant to extend to the upper bearing of the headset which is quite far down so you should be fine.

I wish I still had a power meter, helped pace my mate on an ftp test earlier. Up the climb I barely went over 180bpm and he averaged 335w for 20 minutes. He's 80kg I'm about 77kg. Don't think I drafted much being a tailwind for a bit then headwind up the climb but we were side by side.

Associate
On a carbon steerer, does the metal glued insert for the star nut serve a dual purpose (structurally) so when you tighten the stem it doesn’t damage the steerer?

I ask because I don’t know how long the insert is in my fork. It has been cut down already from original but I have the stem at it’s lowest point now (as I have the armrest risers on the TT). You can’t see as the star nut is in the way ;)

Soldato
First bunch ride of the year :o

Maybe shouldn’t have gone for the “race pace” over 150bpm for over 5 hours, average over 18mph moving. Went up through the Ribble valley and trough of Bowland, some great scenery, but windy, luckily pushed us up the hills.

Only stop for a quick dash in the shop and a puncture. Needed the coke and snickers at the shop as I was going through bottles & food faster than expected.

Managed to get to 140km before going flat, we’d been rolling turns for the past 10-15km and I was hurting. It timed nicely as I could swing off and ride home bonked.

Soldato
I earned some cycling karma points yesterday morning. I'd just turned up our lane (so about 20m from home) and there was a guy fixing a puncture. He said he had everything but I got in, racked my bike and walked back down the road with my track pump. I even did the pumping for him :D

On a different topic, has anyone had a pair of bib shorts which fit well but then crucify you? I got a pair of Shutt bibs which are really nice - good build quality, nice styling touches and fit seemed spot on. They'd been fine on a couple of 1 hour rides but on a 90 miler a couple of weeks ago they gave me endless grief. Ended up with a saddle sore and rubbing from the edges of the chamois :( Got through a load of Sudocream in the days afterwards. Fair play to Shutt though as they are letting me return them for a refund.

Soldato
Eurgh Groce, don't know how you do it! I have a sniffle and I'm backing out :D
Haha well we're a 1 car family so really can't avoid some riding. Little guy is in nursery 3 days a week while the other half works those days dropping him off - she's been ill too so her driving him still means me having to cycle to work. Just meant the car got left at Nursery so I had to ride to it to pick him up and drive home. Rather than also riding home towing him in his chariot...! That'll come later this week I think.

Defo does, it's there to stop it getting crushed!

I wish I still had a power meter, helped pace my mate on an ftp test earlier.
Pretty rubbish FTP test if he needs someone to pace him for it!? ;)

Great ride yesterday mate, pictures are superb! Looks like you and Ryan did almost the same route in reverse! Can't remember who he is on here to tag him though...! :o

I earned some cycling karma points yesterday morning. I'd just turned up our lane (so about 20m from home) and there was a guy fixing a puncture. He said he had everything but I got in, racked my bike and walked back down the road with my track pump. I even did the pumping for him :D
Good man, really appreciate a good Samaritan, especially being a cyclist! The number of times I see people stopped and others ride past without checking they're ok annoys me. I'll always holla and unless I get a positive reply I'll always try to stop. I'm 'that guy' and although it annoys some people I ride with, it doesn't bother me. Karma ftw!

Went up through the Ribble valley and trough of Bowland, some great scenery, but windy, luckily pushed us up the hills.
Epic ride, looks amazing scenery and location for that! Weather hold off?

Weather wasn't as bad here as they forecast. Still didn't entertain the idea of riding as I'm still not near 100%. Probably around 75%. Last day of antibiotics today. Knackered my hamstrings doing a bunch of gardening anyway, must be getting old! Need to fit in a couple of half hour/hour Z2/3 turbo riding this week. Nothing too big that'll knock me back, just some volume to begin to build up again. Sucks! 3 weeks in now and really am starting to feel how far back I am from the reduction in riding - but also knowing I can't abuse myself back to fitness as I don't have near the lung capacity yet. Really cannot afford to make myself worse again as I'll miss the summer! :o

Any tips on how to reintroduce volume in such a way it doesn't cause any regression to my recovery? I always ride too hard... Especially on the turbo! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty rubbish FTP test if he needs someone to pace him for it!? ;)

Great ride yesterday mate, pictures are superb! Looks like you and Ryan did almost the same route in reverse! Can't remember who he is on here to tag him though...! :o

Cheers mate, was random day as per my new comment on strava. Would do it again but maybe park nearby and do a few more climbs nearby. I fancy Glen fruin, Glen Douglas and maybe whistlefield.

I wasn't so much pacing him just shadowing him until he was feeling it, I would pass and give him something to chase.

Smahed him on the rest and be thankful though, he was with me half to three quarters as my pace was what I'd sat at for his ftp run then he folded at the 16% sign. That's when my HR was sitting 190+ basically to the tip. Still stuck it in the big ring over the top like a boss :D wee guy that works with us was about 10 minutes behind. Poor lad.

With the way your life is I'd just do what you can do and don't put pressure on yourself mate. Get well and go from there but by bit.

Soldato
Good weather yesterday, no rain until 7pm or so then it hammered down.

Can you get out early roady, do a couple of hours 7-9am on a weekend? Some 60km solo rides would sort you out, not much of a jump then to do a 100k bunch when you are able then.

Soldato
Amazing info and read mate. Find that side of it incredibly interesting as it really structures numbers to the performances we see. Data nerd, but equally know I do not have that discipline or time to commit. Hell at the moment I don't even have the health to continue my ongoing struggle to maintain fitness...! Sucks!

To be fair I have huge respect for you and how you've been able to continue riding with such structure as we've both got our boys at similar ages. And I know how impossibly hard it must be - as I've ended up the polar opposite. Although you're a few years younger than me so can I blame old age? I actually can't as my ex-neighbour is a few months older than me, had another boy (a few months younger than mine) and already had 2 boys... And he's out riding the alps. :o

Thanks buddy :) I do appreciate you guys taking time to read my ramblings!
It's not easy getting the training in itself with a young family as you know but when everything is 3+ hours away and essentially all over nighters to race, you can imagine the family drama.... I'm lucky that I am *just* getting away with it. But I do take a hell of a lot of flak for it and would certainly perform better with all the drama and guilt :p

3 boys and he gets to go play in the Alps? The Mrs must actually dislike him and want rid at any opportunity eh? :p :p

Soldato
<snip> wee guy that works with us was about 10 minutes behind. Poor lad.
Hahahaha brutal, that's after him doing a 20 minutes FTP effort too!?
With the way your life is I'd just do what you can do and don't put pressure on yourself mate. Get well and go from there but by bit.
Oh I've fully given up improving fitness for at least a year or two, all my work now is trying to continue hanging onto what I have! Such a hard balance. Well it's not, when I've done some concentrated turbo work/various linked sessions and outside rides my fitness has been great/improving. Then I seem to get ill and knocked right back again. I'm unsure if I'm pushing myself too hard causing a slump in my immune system, or just some rubbish luck. Could be both!
VOLcvoL.jpg

Good weather yesterday, no rain until 7pm or so then it hammered down.

Can you get out early roady, do a couple of hours 7-9am on a weekend? Some 60km solo rides would sort you out, not much of a jump then to do a 100k bunch when you are able then.
I can but really not regularly enough. The other half works 2 in 3 saturday mornings so I'm on child duties those times. I have found the Zwift 100km sunday morning 3R 2.5w/kg ride to be superb, when I'm able to ride it I find large improvements in my fitness/power and starting at 7.30am I'm usually done by 10/11am so it fits in well. But I have missed the start a few times, there's no real similar rides for several hours afterwards unless I go solo. But then that's sunday, I like to hit any club/group rides I can on saturday when the timing (other half not at work) and weather suits. But that is so sporadic at the moment and obviously rules out any big session on the sunday...

Proper biblical here this morning, as forecast. Drizzle walking the dog at 6:45am. Normal rain for my commute in at 7:45. Other half drove wee man to nursery, dropped car, then heavens opened on her riding on to work at 8.30. Doh! She chose the wrong day to ride!

I've just bought new overshoes (still Sealskinz Opensole) and gone for Large so less likely to tear/wear the zips on them and quicker on & off. Realised the taped vents on my shoes the tape has come off. So still got soggy toes! Doh! :rolleyes:

DHB Mono Overtrousers days are numbered, large tear on the right inner seam is only getting worse. Other areas of the material is coming apart (inner rubbery layer). Considering I only wear them a handful of times a year (for heavy rain commutes) they really have not worn well. Great fit and features (velcro to tape the legs in so they're not 'baggy'), just not great material. What other waterproofs are people using? I only use them for commuting to avoid utterly drenched kit. Normal/social/club riding I don't.

my bolt wont pair with my google phone.
Paired instantly with my iphone last time. Is there any other way to pair?
You can scan a QR code on it to re-pair it. I don't think it loses anything when doing so (doesn't have to re-sync all rides etc). I've had to do it on mine a couple of times after updates/firmwares. Do find their app a little buggy - but I think generally as I don't sync with it more than once or twice a month there is a large backlog of activities it has to upload. It's unresponsive when doing so and occasionally freezes the app. ELEMNT connecting to Wifi at work & home works really well, so I don't have to really use the app day to day, so not a hardship. Mine having ~700 rides a year stored on it probably doesn't help...

Although mine this morning had a burp. First for a long while. I fired it up when loading/sorting the car for the other half, rolled off the drive a few minutes afterwards and pressed start 20m down the road (forgot). ELEMNT activity didn't start until a mile afterwards! I'm going to blame the weather as it was proper wet & miserable.

Some ace activities for you: Hotchillee Pyrenees 3 day: Day 1 ITT, Day 2 (rain), Day 3 (sun). Brutal! :o

Twins doing LEJOG - biblical rain yesterday, great pics on this activity as they hit Scotland. Crazy average (17.8mph) for day 6 for 112 miles. Biggest day for them today, with the most climbing and looks like the worst weather. Gutted!

Last edited:
Soldato
You can scan a QR code on it to re-pair it. I don't think it loses anything when doing so (doesn't have to re-sync all rides etc). I've had to do it on mine a couple of times after updates/firmwares. Do find their app a little buggy - but I think generally as I don't sync with it more than once or twice a month there is a large backlog of activities it has to upload. It's unresponsive when doing so and occasionally freezes the app. ELEMNT connecting to Wifi at work & home works really well, so I don't have to really use the app day to day, so not a hardship. Mine having ~700 rides a year stored on it probably doesn't help...

Its strange. My work Iphone paired instantly but my Pixel 3a just doesn't want to know about it. :(

Back
Top Bottom