*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
A few more weeks of squats, was hoping for some pointers. I think they're getting better but I'm very unsteady on the way down to depth and am not sure how to fix it.

Thanks!

It looks like you sit down and run into an obstruction (hips) near the bottom of your squat, then have to move your body around that to get the rest of the way down. One of the more helpful things I found with working on my squat was taking the time to find a foot position where you can sit down between your legs smoothly (see that Tian Tao vid I posted on the last page) where everything seems to move in one go, rather than in stages. There's some good videos by Juggernaut Training Systems on that on YouTube.

The other thing is to find your balance so that the weight of the bar is centered over the middle of your foot, so that there's even pressure between your toes (big toe should feel like it's pressing into the ground somewhat) and your heels. This should not shift during the movement at all, the weight should not transfer forward or back. A way of maintaining this balance during your descent I found works for me, is to image someone behind you has tied a rope to your hips, and someone in front of you has tied a rope to your knees. The squat is then initiated when both people start pulling at the ropes, so the combination of knees forward and hips back results in your sitting more or less straight down but keeping the tension in the legs rather than what tends to happen for most people, which is a loss of tension in the legs, shifting the weight back into the heels and then using the back to heave the weight back up.

Soldato
Are you trying to high bar or low bar squat?

if low bar, watch this: https://youtu.be/nhoikoUEI8U

High bar but to be honest every tutorial seems to be low bar on the internet so I think maybe I've been mixing the 2.

I'm starting to think I'll never really get the form right on squats or Dls. I can drop to a comfortable weight and form would probably be fine but as soon as I up it I guess my form breaks down so I seem to be either stuck at a weight that's too light or too heavy with nothing in between. I think flexibility and an old groin injury probably isn't helping my squats either. I have been working on slowly widening my base which is a lot wider than when I started.

Thanks though guys, I will try some more adjustments as has been suggested.

Man of Honour
High bar but to be honest every tutorial seems to be low bar on the internet so I think maybe I've been mixing the 2.

This is the most common problem I see in the gym with almost every single person. I stare at them for ages trying to work out whether they are high or low bar squatting - I doubt they know the difference. Most people seem to fall exactly in the middle in almost every way - bar is half way between high and low, back bends about half way, elbows in the wrong position etc. Also having the bar too high on the rack and people top toeing it in and out - I cringe at that point.

The squat is an art and one I don't think I'll ever perfect. It is also unlikely that form is every going to be truly 100% if you are really pushing the weight limit up too.

Soldato
Watch this series, the Autoplay on should take you through each episode.

Also this one:

This one:

JTS are cool because they've been coaching national and international level powerlifters and weightlifters for several years now, as well as lower level athletes and so have a lot of experience as to what gets results over cycles of training rather than just teaching beginners.

Man of Honour
Great videos. Part of my problem at the moment is a) getting used to the low bar movement b) overthinking the whole thing. I am brilliant at psyching myself out of a lift. Then I'll do it and think to myself, 'that was easy'.

Man of Honour
Watch this series, the Autoplay on should take you through each episode.

Also this one:

This one:

JTS are cool because they've been coaching national and international level powerlifters and weightlifters for several years now, as well as lower level athletes and so have a lot of experience as to what gets results over cycles of training rather than just teaching beginners.

"High and low bar squats are the same lift... The low back squat differs..."

:D

Man of Honour
"High and low bar squats are the same lift... The low back squat differs..."

:D

I guess the idea is similar. The execution, end result and overall training goal is different. Wait, scratch that first part :D

I don’t think I expected the low bar squat to feel so uncomfortable. Hopefully that’ll improve slightly as my mobility improves.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I managed 5x5 @130kg on low bar on week 3 of doing them. Bar stayed over mid foot and didn’t move around...and nor did I. Legs could have kept going, back feeling it. Crazy considering my back strength - perhaps lacking endurance in back. Will add 5kg next week and will keep pushing like that. No spot makes me nervous though as it seems more difficult to bail than with high bar.

Man of Honour
My knees are still giving me grief. i went to the theatre the other night and it was agony (and not just because of the pretentious drivel on stage) When I get back to squatting I'm definitely going to both lighten up and do some videos for a critique. I think from reading some of comments here I'm using my back too much and prob not driving from legs enough.

Man of Honour
My knees are still giving me grief. i went to the theatre the other night and it was agony (and not just because of the pretentious drivel on stage) When I get back to squatting I'm definitely going to both lighten up and do some videos for a critique. I think from reading some of comments here I'm using my back too much and prob not driving from legs enough.

Definitely time for a rest then. Likely just inflammation that will subside on its own. Also worth taking a video and posting it here.

Caporegime

Could be anything. Get a video with the bar then a bit of weight on, say 60-80%, nothing too uncomfortable

Could also be inflammation as suggested, or something that's just tight.

Soldato
I finally managed to achieve 3x5 (which is all I'm aiming for) for 50 kg on OHP yesterday after doing some light bench, and then getting PRs on deadlift and squats, so I'm quite pleased with myself. My body is feeling less enthusiastic though...

I'm about to order a belt as the one I've got is velcro and crap. Has anyone bought a belt from Gunsmith Fitness?

Permabanned
Went bouldering for the first time yesterday. Never realised you could get DOMs in your fingers xD

Kind of mad how strength doesn't translate to a lot of areas where you'd think might. I've got fairly strong arms and pretty good core strength, but I was really struggling on even the most basic of routes up the wall.

Really enjoyed it though. Completely different skill set that I can't wait to learn more about. Going to be difficult fitting it into my program though, especially if I do it once a week as I'd like to...

Soldato
I will be picking up a 3" 10mm level belt from them very soon. Ive had a random 4" belt for years and its just to big for me and pulls me out of position in deadlift and squats.

Soldato
I sort of wanted something handmade, so I've been looking at this one:

https://gunsmithfitness.com/collect...powerlifting-belt-in-vegetable-tanned-leather

Having said that, I think they've run out of the size I need so then I was looking at this one, but it's a bit full on for my liking:

https://gunsmithfitness.com/collect...fting-belt-ultra-premium-handmade-4-inch-wide

I'll have a look at the Strength Shop. I've already been on there looking but was trying to buy something a bit more handmade.

Edit: just messaged Gunsmith and it turns out they have got them in and hadn't updated their stock. I'll be ordering that one tomorrow. I like my leather brown...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom