A really tasty vegetarian meal for 4

Caporegime
GFs freind has come over to and visit I foolishly said I'd cook for all.

Anyone got a suggestion recipe for a decent meal.

Literally anything, flavourful and delicious.

24h I got to think about this or it's off to the ****** Chinese and it's a total joke in Sweden.

Soldato
https://www.bbcgoodfoodshow.com/recipes/detail/mexican-black-bean-chilli-bowl

Super easy and delicious. If you’re having a dinner party, make some Mexican inspired sides like guacamole or a salsa and you’re away. I always double this recipe as it’s a bit tight for 4 and there’s nothing wrong with having some left over for a lunch or two later in the week.

The Doctor’s Kitchen has tonnes of vegetarian and vegan dishes which are easy and really delicious. Have a browse around and see what takes your fancy. It’s certainly changed the way we make vegetarian food and we eat less meat as a result. It’s good to have a decent reference for exactly these situations... cooking vegan can be especially challenging for a dinner party.

Associate
Look into chickpea currys, they can easily be made vegan (use coconut milk and oil). Also extremely easy to make and cheap if you already have the spices.

Soldato
You can probably make a risotto look more impressive than some sort of stew/curry/chilli. But it depends if you're trying to impress them much, or if they don't care and just want feeding :p

My go-to veggie meal is Jack Monroe's peach and chickpea curry. It's a great starting point, even easier if you use a curry paste.

But to impress I'd think about a risotto primavera, with broad beans and asparagus. If you top it with a poached egg and some nice grated parmesan etc. it can look really nice. Add a nice crisp white and you've got quite a fancy-looking meal for not much effort. Of course this is assuming you can do a risotto well enough :p

Soldato
Melanzane lasagne or lentil/chickpea moussaka.

Depends what their attitude to cheese is though I guess.

If they're proper veggie/vegan then it has to be curry really doesn't it?

Soldato
Parmesan being protected designation of origin, in that it must be made by the Parmies and inspected by the Consorzio... But so long as it's made in the right region and OKed by the inspectorate, they can change it if they feel like it?

Even if not - Cheese is vegetarian anyway, right? Not vegan, but surely veggie?

Parmesan can never be vegetarian as part of the protection is an agreed recipe that includes rennet and that’s made from part of an animal stomach lining unlike non rennet based cheese and milk, butter etc that vegetarians allow but vegans do not.

You can get vegetable based rennet and a Parmesan style cheese but it can’t be called Parmesan even tho it has rennet in it!

Back
Top Bottom