Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Don
Nice, yes, but quite obscure and not any indication of a lazy update.
In hindsight lazy was perhaps the wrong word, "safe" was perhaps a better word.

ECC ram and 12v input? I mean why?
Why not? ECC ram would make it more viable as a NAS.
12v input opens up options for different use cases e.g. Car based installations, as well as consolidating with a lot of other equipment e.g. CCTV that uses a 12v barrel connector,

Dual lan? Pretty fringe use case on a pi.
Having dual hdmi ports is a pretty fringe use case for a pi - I imagine there are a lot of Pi in use without any display, let alone 2 displays.

Storage and PoE can be solved with usb adaptors and a hat.
True, and if the USB and Ethernet actually deliver proper performance, then a lot of limitations of the Pi have been removed. Connecting hard drives via USB still isn't ideal however.

The pi4 updates things that cant be solved with adaptors and hats. I think it's a substantial upgrade tbh.
In terms of processor performance, then yes absolutely. However the base model is still only 1GB Ram, to get more you have to pay more.

Everything else is just much of a muchness - advertising Gigabit ethernet as finally delivering proper speed is a poor selling point imo, likewise Bluetooth 5, USB C, whilst nice to have, aren't game changers.

Personally think the Pi has lost it's way a bit, and needs to decide who it's target audiences are.

maj

maj

Soldato
Well there must be people out there who only need 1GB ram as both it and the 4 have sold out on pihut. The desktop kit you can buy actually looks decent quality having just watched a video on it, could be useful for school environments etc.

Commissario
I ordered the 2Gb version as that’s all that was available. Actually, when I first saw them at just after 07:00, I added the 1Gb version to my shopping cart but by the time I decided to go for it, they were on back order so I had to go for a more expensive version.

For what I want, the 1Gb would have been enough and even though I won’t be making the change for a while, I didn’t want to wait for the Pi.

Soldato
In hindsight lazy was perhaps the wrong word, "safe" was perhaps a better word.

Why not? ECC ram would make it more viable as a NAS.
12v input opens up options for different use cases e.g. Car based installations, as well as consolidating with a lot of other equipment e.g. CCTV that uses a 12v barrel connector,

Having dual hdmi ports is a pretty fringe use case for a pi - I imagine there are a lot of Pi in use without any display, let alone 2 displays.

True, and if the USB and Ethernet actually deliver proper performance, then a lot of limitations of the Pi have been removed. Connecting hard drives via USB still isn't ideal however.

In terms of processor performance, then yes absolutely. However the base model is still only 1GB Ram, to get more you have to pay more.

Everything else is just much of a muchness - advertising Gigabit ethernet as finally delivering proper speed is a poor selling point imo, likewise Bluetooth 5, USB C, whilst nice to have, aren't game changers.

Personally think the Pi has lost it's way a bit, and needs to decide who it's target audiences are.

Hold up, you seem to be stuck between what makes the pi4 a decent upgrade and what you wanted to see from it personally. I gave you a list of features, reasons why i think the Pi4 is neither a 'lazy' or 'safe' upgrade from the 3b/3b+. You can argue dual videos outputs is really a fringe use and i wouldn't disagree, but that's besides the point - it's a distinct improvement over the capabilities of the last gen as was everything else on my list. What you gave me in return was a list of your own wants, some of which would be pointless (you dont need ECC ram for a home NAS) and many of which would be wasted on the target market, which is somewhat ironic given your last point which i also disagree with.

What is a Raspberry Pi?
The Raspberry Pi is a low cost, credit-card sized computer that plugs into a computer monitor or TV, and uses a standard keyboard and mouse. It is a capable little device that enables people of all ages to explore computing, and to learn how to program in languages like Scratch and Python. It’s capable of doing everything you’d expect a desktop computer to do, from browsing the internet and playing high-definition video, to making spreadsheets, word-processing, and playing games.

What’s more, the Raspberry Pi has the ability to interact with the outside world, and has been used in a wide array of digital maker projects, from music machines and parent detectors to weather stations and tweeting birdhouses with infra-red cameras. We want to see the Raspberry Pi being used by kids all over the world to learn to program and understand how computers work.

Raspberry Pi Foundation
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a registered educational charity (registration number 1129409) based in the UK. Our Foundation’s goal is to advance the education of adults and children, particularly in the field of computers, computer science and related subjects. See our stories page for more information about the Foundation’s charitable work.

You can read more about the history of Raspberry Pi and the people who have helped to make it the success it is today on our about page.

I don't believe they've lost their way at all :)

Providing a significant technology leap and keeping the 35 $ price tag is a massive engineering achievement. This becomes even more astonishing if you take inflation into account: 35 $ in 2012 are the equivalent of 39,04 $ in 2019 when adjusted for inflation and buying power. So the Pi is not only becoming better, but actually cheaper each passing year!

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Got an RPi 4 (4gb) on the way.

That adds to my:- 3A+ for my 3D printer, 3B+ in my Picade, 3B+ x2 Retropie (one in living room, one in conservatory), 3B+ on my desktop that I use for Linux bits and peices and RetroPie builds (I sell them) and a 3 in the boys room that they use as a media player. The 4 will replace my desktop, then the kids can have my current 3B+ then the 3 can go into one of the new loft rooms - kids are after a retropie box up there.

Soldato
Hey all,

I apologise if this has been asked (I’m certain it has, it’s not like my scenario is too unique :p)

I have a Rasp 3B running Plex and just saw that the 4B has been released. I use it just to run Plex mostly and for the most part it’s fine as it is, just a little slow for my liking but it’s manageable.

Is there much worth in upgrading to the 4B? I see that it comes in 3 RAM variations, which is nice. Could I see a noticeable improvement if I went for a 4GB Pi, or would you consider that overkill for what I use it for?

Soldato
The new cpu seems a lot faster according to the benches, 4gb ram will make a big difference as well.
Other sore points from the older pi's like its IO have been addressed as well so it looks like a decent upgrade.

Is it quite a surprise release? Or has this been on the cards for a while?

I felt I was quite up to date with Pi news and never heard that they had plans to update the Pi anytime soon!

Don
Plex server or Plex client?

If server then the improved ethernet, and CPU should improve performance.

If client then potentially a huge upgrade with improved video acceleration

2GB would likely be enough for either, but no harm in the getting the 4GB

Soldato
Plex server or Plex client?

If server then the improved ethernet, and CPU should improve performance.

If client then potentially a huge upgrade with improved video acceleration

2GB would likely be enough for either, but no harm in the getting the 4GB

Interesting! What is it in the new one that can offer improved video acceleration? It’s just the client watching videos from another server.

Very tempted to upgrade...

Back
Top Bottom