i am fat

Soldato
Resistance machines aren't very beneficial, free weights is where it's at.

Free weights should be the core of your weights routine no doubt, but machines can be beneficial, they're just another tool at your disposal. If your whole routine is walking between various machines with no idea how many sets/reps/weight you should be doing with no structure to your work out then you should probably spend that time at home researching or hire a decent PT instead.

Associate
[QUOTE="Alternatively, have a girl break your heart and you'll lose your appetite to the point where the weight will just fall off. Of course you'll be ****ing miserable at the same time, but hey, you can't have everything.[/QUOTE]

Yup that method works for me !

Soldato
Free weights should be the core of your weights routine no doubt, but machines can be beneficial, they're just another tool at your disposal. If your whole routine is walking between various machines with no idea how many sets/reps/weight you should be doing with no structure to your work out then you should probably spend that time at home researching or hire a decent PT instead.

Again, I'd argue the point on that. Yes, going between resistance machines not knowing what you're doing is pointless. However, if you do compound lifts (squat, deadlift, ohp, bench, rows, cleans) then you will work all the muscles you did on the resistance machines but do them all together, instead of isolating single muscle groups. The latter is probably only suitable if you're already strong, or if you've got an injury that would benefit from dedicated training. Otherwise, you are best off working your entire body at once.

Soldato
The best routines are the ones you can stick to and enjoy. I can see why the calisthenic dudes recommend calisthenics and the gym bros recommenced free weights, it is because they enjoy doing it enough to progress and make a difference. Same with the guys who like cycling and running.

That said, if you want to look like a runner - eat and train like one. If you want to look like a body builder, then eat and train like one of them.

Associate
Used to go to the gym regularly about 3 years ago, then got a new job which was stressful with lots to learn and always had to stay overtime to catch up, meaning no time for the gym. Ended up around 17st10 and 36" waist and decided enough was enough.

Started eating more sensibly (I don't calorie count per say, but I eat a salad with lots of protein virtually every lunchtime now, and generally more healthy snacks like skyr+fruit or a handful of nuts), as well as gym 6 times a week - 3 days of weights and 3 days of cardio. Might sound a lot, but given I work in IT and am literally on my bum for 6+ hours of the day, it kind of balances out.

I started mid-April and now down to about 16st5, and fit back into my 34" jeans/large t-shirts. I was beaming from ear to ear when I could wear my old jeans again :D

I've had a belly my whole life, so I'll keep going and see how far I can make it. I think my ideal weight would be around 180-190lbs.

Caporegime
What's a good amount of calories to do during cardio in the gym?

I don't think amount of calories is particularly relevant to cardio tbh... I'd certainly not try to use cardio as your main means of losing weight or to stop getting fat. The underlying issue is generally diet/lifestyle and it is much better to change that.

For weight loss diet is pretty important, you can make various lifestyle changes - like walking more, don't use a car for a short trip to the shops, take the stairs, walk up escalators etc.. etc.. finding a physical/outdoor activity you're interested in etc...

You should do the cardio to keep fit rather than to burn calories, you might want to take into account how many calories you have burned in doing it if you're being very precise in planning your diet etc.. but aside from that it isn't something you should worry about.

You might do more cardio than really needed to keep fit because you're involved in some competitive sport/hobby etc.. I wouldn't do more cardio because you want to burn more calories though, especially if you're new to exercise (plenty of injuries from people who've just taken up say running etc.. and then want to do lots of it right away). you also don't want to turn it into a chore, replacing a gym session with playing football with your mates once a week would be better or take up squash etc...

Caporegime
He was on level 25 the whole time, and I imagine it factors in your weight? I found it amazing that he kept going.

30 minutes + at max level. I was right next to him.

In 30 minutes I do approx 400 calories at level 11

The machines don't give reliable numbers, they use dodgy calculations and give you gross calories instead of net. If you want to really find out how many calories you burn you need a VO2max machine to measure CO2 produced.

Soldato
Again, I'd argue the point on that. Yes, going between resistance machines not knowing what you're doing is pointless. However, if you do compound lifts (squat, deadlift, ohp, bench, rows, cleans) then you will work all the muscles you did on the resistance machines but do them all together, instead of isolating single muscle groups. The latter is probably only suitable if you're already strong, or if you've got an injury that would benefit from dedicated training. Otherwise, you are best off working your entire body at once.

Yes machines are a good tool for isolating muscles and accessory work too, that's why I said they're a good tool. I still do Pullups, OHP, Squats, Deadlifts, Benchpress + BB Rows obviously.

Soldato
I've never understood why people do cardio at the gym.

Instead of a stationary bike, why not cycle somewhere? Instead of a treadmill, why not walk/run somewhere?

This is assuming you aren't slap-bang in the middle of Londinium and unable to breathe the air/smog outdoors.

With cycling, the main benefit is in winter so you avoid the cold/wet and don't spend a silly amount of time cleaning your bike constantly, which is pretty much a necessity when there's salt on the road. If you cycle a lot and have done for years, it's likely you've covered most of the roads in your own area in a large radius anyway. Less reason for running given the price of running shoes.

Soldato
Caporegime
Sod the gym seriously, just control what goes in your mouth, thats it.

That's fine, but if you have already gotten to a point where you are overweight/obese then the Gym is a good option, and you can use machines that aren't too hard on the knees where running might be.

In fact, my recent foray back to the Gym was to try and get as fit as Glastonbury as possible as I've been to every one (bar one) since 2004 but I am:

1) The oldest I've ever been (obviously) at 37 - so that takes more of a toll
2) The heaviest I've ever been, I was 15 Stone 7lbs

Managed to get down to 15 stone in 4 weeks which is still quite overweight for my height, but every little helps and my fitness has definitely improved.

I go about 3 times a week for 90 minutes at a time.

Soldato
Well done on your return to the gym and your efforts.

1) The oldest I've ever been (obviously) at 37 - so that takes more of a toll
2) The heaviest I've ever been, I was 15 Stone 7lbs

Age is a factor for us gents - around 40 our testosterone starts to plummet naturally, which leads to middle age spread and lethargy. The best way to combat this is lifting heavy weights and eating good quality red meat.

I started the 5x5 stronglifts program (you can get an app on your phone) which is a compound lifting program built around squats and deadlifts, it works your largest muscles in your legs and by doing so gives your hormones a kick start.

Hope this is helpful.

Soldato
For weights, basic sets should look something like 5x5, 8x4 or 12x4. Whatever your rep range is make sure your last set or 2 is hard to complete, if it isn't then you need to lift more.

What Roar said. Note also that in lifting, less reps = more weight, more reps = less weight. With that in mind it is generally accepted that 5 reps is for building strength, 8 reps is for building muscle size (hypertrophy) and 12 reps is cardio.... :D

Back
Top Bottom