Poll: Apple iPad Pro

Are you going to buy an iPad Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 146 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 295 66.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
The max res on YouTube for iPad is 1080p.

I have never been able to watch higher than this, when I looked around it was a something to do with the app and Google.

Thanks.... what are they up to....

Its funny I can view this video in its full glory on my Oneplus 7 pro full 1440 60fps goodness....

And an iOS Tablet I cannot do the same... real cop out.

RJC

RJC

Don
Thanks.... what are they up to....

Its funny I can view this video in its full glory on my Oneplus 7 pro full 1440 60fps goodness....

And an iOS Tablet I cannot do the same... real cop out.

I agree with you :( did wonder at the time when viewing YouTube’s videos, it was only showing as 1080p.

Hopefully in time they will change this.

Soldato
It’s more likely the 1440p is streaming at a higher it rate which is the difference you can see rather than the actual resolution. Same goes for web based streaming.

In terms of the iPad, as other have said it’s down to Google rather than Apple. It’s been like it for awhile now.

Soldato
It’s more likely the 1440p is streaming at a higher it rate which is the difference you can see rather than the actual resolution. Same goes for web based streaming.

In terms of the iPad, as other have said it’s down to Google rather than Apple. It’s been like it for awhile now.

But surely if the bit rate is coming from the same source then streaming content at 1440 will look sharper and more vivid (HDR etc) than 1080 assuming all else being equal?

Soldato
I don't disagree that the 1440P could look sharper but its entirely dependent on how far away you are from the device. It's the whole concept behind Apples 'retina' marketing. For example you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between 1080P and 4K on a 50" screen from 15 feet where as from 10 feet you should be able to tell.

Resolution isn't everything to a video, bit rate makes a huge difference. For instance if you view a 1080P video that was live streamed vs one that was recorded, the live steam looks worse because the bit rate is lower. If you compare a Linus Tech Tips video at 4K on YouTube to 1080P on their own platform the 1080P looks better because its streamed at a far higher bit rate even with 1/4 of the pixels. They are thinking about turning on 4k which will be close to Blue Ray quality.

I've just googled it and there is more going on with Youtube between the quality settings than just resolution, as you increase the resolution you also increase the relative bit rate which will have a bigger effect on your quality. So yes 1440 would look better regardless but it isn't down to the resolution (due to screen size).

Youtube on iOS also uses a different codec (and thus an entirely different source) so the two are not really directly comparable on 'paper', you would need to do blind A-B tests to see. It's apparently 6 of one half a dozen of the other, Apple don't support Googles YouTube codec and Google will not stream 4k in Apple's supported codecs. I think the codecs Apple support are open source but googles isn't (don't quote me on that).

Soldato
Yes I get what you are saying but taking the specific video I posted.
If I were to view this at 1080p compared to 1440p on the same platform, there would be a difference image quality/clarity etc surely?

Or are you saying that if I viewed this same video on an iPad which streams at 1080p, it would be the same as streaming at 1440p on my Oneplus 7 Pro?

Soldato
What I'm saying is there is more to video than resolution. Viewing distance, codec, bit rate, frame rate, the screen size and technology all play a part in the perceived quality. Viewing distance in particular has a huge effect.

For instance, to tell the difference in resolution between an iPhone XS and XR you have to get the thing so close to your face making it an unrealistic use case, at arms length you really can't tell. But the XS screen is obviously far superior because its OLED so black is black. The iPad Pro has the same PPI screen as the older iPads but the Pro's screen is so obviously superior because its 120Hz vs 60Hz.

For video you also have to factor in compression. In the specific case you said, it will depend on how close to your face you are holding the phone, a 2" inches sure you'll tell but that isn't really normal. If the phone is propped up on a table 1M from your face, no chance. Most people can't tell the difference between HD and 4k blue ray on a 50" TV at 10 feet. But if you tell them one is 4k and one is HD they will always say the 4k is better because that's how people's brains are programmed by marketing.

On the other hand I stream YouTube at 1080P on my PC even thought the browser window is only about the size of 720P. I do it because the compression artefacts are obvious on 720P compared to down sampling 1080P. That's not because of the increased resolution, its because of the far higher bit rate (or less compressed video). But lets say I moved the monitor further away, I wouldn't be able to tell.

When you start comparing things like phones to iPad's there are other things to take into account like the general experience of propping an iPad up vs holding a phone a few inches from your face and LCD vs OLED. Likewise 1080P on iPad is using a different video source to 1440P on One plus, its still YouTube, but its a different video. Again it would depend on the distance because of the dramatic difference in screen size.

For pretty much everyone 1080P YouTube on an iPad at normal viewing distances is more than acceptable quality.

Last edited:
Soldato
Undecided if I should get the apple + protection for this, I have about 40+ days to get it, I'm quite careful with my devices but its's nice having that peace of mind. decisions.

Associate
I get the AppleCare if you can , my pro 11 just developed a crack right down the middle of the screen.
No idea how it’s happened as I’ve been really careful with it , I did think the build quality felt much worse compared to older iPad .....I guess I was right :( got a trip the Apple store on Friday

Associate
Fair play to apple , went the apple store today and after checking the crack in the screen the agreed to straight swap under normal warranty.

Got the impression that they see / are aware of hairline cracks in screens and cover them no problem , it’s those spider webbed screens that will be costly for people :p

Soldato
Just picked up a gen 2 12.9" to replace my ageing and sluggish iPad2. Wow what a difference! Yeah they aren't cheap but it is an amazing bit of kit and I don't regret it for a second. The screen is beautiful, the speakers are great for something so thin and it is super responsive. Happy Apple customer.

Soldato
Any settings I should change to get a good battery life on one charge?

I find the battery fine on my 11" pro but I do find it drains quicker than I would like even when Im not using it.

I have bluetooth on and apple pencil 2 so that likely effects battery slightly, anything else I could adjust for better battery life?

Thanks

Soldato
So after having MacBooks (Air, Pros etc) for 5-6 years I’m going to move to an iPad Pro 11” has anyone done this recently and is there anything (bar the file management which will come in iPad OS 13) that I might miss from the laptop to an iPad

Thanks

Soldato
So after having MacBooks (Air, Pros etc) for 5-6 years I’m going to move to an iPad Pro 11” has anyone done this recently and is there anything (bar the file management which will come in iPad OS 13) that I might miss from the laptop to an iPad

Thanks

It completely depends on your use case. I could replace my MBP with my iPad Pro for all of my none work related uses, but some of the work related stuff which are also hobbies are much better suited to a fully fledged MacOS System - for example xCode doesn't really exist on iOS yet so if you're a developer this might be a problem, you can't really compile software on iOS. I've seen a few blog posts about people being able to do a lot of stuff with cool looking workarounds but it's not as simple as just using MacOS. However you may not be a developer, you may not do anything that requires desktop class solutions.

Back
Top Bottom