Any damp experts?

Soldato
In the process or buying a house and the survey has come up with a level 3 (i.e. do something about it NOW) in the cellar. They have mentioned that there may be dry rot.

The house is about 200 years old and the cellar is not surprisingly damp. The photo they supplied is below....

We will ask for the sellers to get a timber survey done but any idea of what to expect would be great...

Cheers !

7oI6fwU.jpg

Soldato
That’s dry rot. Damp and timber report needed urgently and all affected timbers removed. If it’s just in the cellar you will be ok but hope it hasn’t spread

Associate
the underlying problem in a cellar will be penetrating damp, is that an external wall?
Could be a drainage issue that needs sorting, but more than likely the cellar will need to be tanked with a sump pump if a permanent solution / habitable room is needed

Soldato
OP
I've already prepared myself for the conclusion about dry rot. Its an interior wall, no need for the room to be habitable. So I'm guessing remove all cladding back to stone, and hope it hasn't got up into the ground floor timber. The sellers have said they are getting a full damp survey done this week. Will wait and see.

Associate
Looks to be moisture coming up from under the metal (plastic/vinyl) flooring at the only place it can escape - the the edge where if meets the wall/skirting board.

How high up the wall does it go? and is there any of it on the other side of the wall?

I would not be too concerned if just that bit in the cellar.

Associate
Tenna says the damp survey recommends damp proof injections.

I'm with you. PCA approved for extra points.

Make sure they don't do that. However, you may be in a tricky place with the mortgage company i.e. they won't lend without the above being done as the "expert" (who will be nothing of the sort) has told them that in his report.

It's an old basement, they're (usually) not tanked or waterproof in any shape so it is to be expected. How's the ventilation down there as that is the usual cause of accumulation (no real different to floor voids that have had air bricks covered or the external floor raised to the same level so water flows in...)

Soldato
OP
I'm guessing the walls are stone covered in battons and ply. There are two small Windows, both double glazed. So no ventilation. Let the space breathe like it did when built.

Reading up it looks likely the best course of action is strip back to stone and take vinyl floor up. Then replace Windows with ventilated grills. Oh and treat anything dodgy with uberfungicide.

Trying to make the space liveable would be tricky. But as storage for bikes/workshop etc it would be fine.

Looking at my photos at seems that is the only dodgy bit. But what is behind the wall ?

Back
Top Bottom