Facebook allowed me to claim a random business page

Soldato
And where is that quote from? Because it's not in any of the OP's posts, it's almost like you've made it up to fit your own narrative.
Me, never ;)

Ultimately it's not above board, curiosity or no - it's a mild case of fraud with mitigating circumstances. I'd have done the same I imagine, but I'd own up when reporting it.

Soldato
I got an automated business details updated notification for one of my pages the other day. Not an active page, but perfectly legitimate small local business that doesn't post on facebook.

The suggestion was to change the status to 'Permanently Closed', which of course it wasn't. They just don't post stuff on social media. I wonder if the owner got one of these and it automatically got applied due to inaction and somehow went up for grabs to someone else.

Soldato
OP
Must be the meth heads out in force. OP is really lying he didn't take over no Facebook page.
lol your not baiting me to post details

@Rotty Cheers I will live chat them at work tomorrow

Also as far as i can tell the business is still trading (after checking companies house)

Im more amazed Facebook offered me to take control of someones business page when i have no relation to them other than i live 30 miles from them

Soldato
Does that mean you're now Lord Harvey, First Earl Baron Duke of Stoke or something?

It's only Stoke so you're welcome to it tho.

Refer to me as Me'Lady you damned dirty Pheasant :D lol

(I'm a man and I know it's peasant before anyone gets funny)

You're right though, you couldn't give Stoke away. Burlsem is one of the worst places I've been :D

Soldato
C'mon people, Royal Ascot is over now; time to get off your high horses ;)

Ignoring what it may and may not be, it definitely is crazy how easy it is - you'd have thought you'd need to provide more proof :/

It could quite easily be their main PoC for customers, and Facebook have given you full control of it :confused:

Associate
And where is that quote from? Because it's not in any of the OP's posts, it's almost like you've made it up to fit a narrative of your own making.
Here
So.... logged into Facebook for the first time in a while and at the top its asked me if i wanted to claim an interior design business Facebook page as mine.

Out of curiosity I clicked yes and clicked through a few screens and now I have control of the page and have the business owners email, private mobile and their address

1st bolded section is Facebook asking: "Is this your business?". i.e. "Are you the business owner?", i.e. "Is this you?"

2nd bolded section is OP saying "Yes"

It's not exactly crime of the century, and the vast majority of the culpability lies with Facebook, but it's still fraud. It's a bit like if you are walking down the street and somebody taps you on the shoulder and asks "Did you drop this?" whilst holding up somebody else's wallet and you say "Yes". Except in this case you can't then notice your mistake and go "actually no, sorry, looks a bit like my wallet but on closer inspection I realise it isn't, I'll hand it in to lost property"

OP should contact the business owner, explain what happened and suggest splitting any compensation from Facebook for the data breach.

Back
Top Bottom