What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
Booked it ages ago and last week finally got to the Kitchen. No tasting menu but we had the £35 lunch menu which was great value, Pre starter, bread, pallet cleanser then 3 courses, drinks were really expensive though. Dish of the day for me was the starter, which was squid, with a squid ink tuile and potato risotto. Fantastic experience and would recommend it, looks like we will have to go back to edinburgh for the tasting menu. :D

We had lunch there and were extremely impressed. The wine list is extensive and adds a lot of weight to the bill!

Soldato
The problem is that I'm not sure what cuisine we would like to start with. We are both pretty much "eats anything" and are always happy to try different cuisines. The main thing I found tempting is one of those taster menu's where you get several portions during the sitting so you can really experience the different styles of cooking and quality as well. If not I'm happy with suggestions for good places so I can research them a bit before deciding where to go.

Sure, I also fall into this category and love to try new things. I’d just be wary of going somewhere which could run into £200 per head including wine for this purpose.

If you’re after a fantastic modern French interpretation of a tasting menu, I’d go for Le Gavroche. British you might consider Gordon Ramsay. There is an African restaurant called Ikoyi which is meant to be excellent too.

The other thing to note is that the Michelin website is a great way of finding places to eat. You’ll be able to check out places by location and cuisine, so that’s a good place to start. Places with a bib gourmand are often excellent too and worth looking at.

Associate
Ok, what is your budget? Taster menus can start around £50 per person, and go up to £300. That excludes drinks and service.

I would probably be looking at up to £100 per person at the moment. We are not big drinkers any of us so wouldn't worry too much about the cost of the drinks at the moment.

Soldato
Last night I had a very, very average meal at the Mercure at Berlin Tegel Airport but the night before I had a superb meal at Z Drugiej Strony Lustra in Szczecin, Poland. I was the only customer which sets alarm bells ringing but I can't see why, the food was excellent. I had veal sweetbreads to start, a perfectly blue piece of fillet steak for main and one of the best chocolate fondants I've had for a long time to finish. All washed down with a few nice cold beers. Lovely.

Associate
I did eat at a local restaurant named The Bananatree with some friends last night to celebrate my birthday. The restaurant does south east Asian food and it was really good. Had Mekong Prawns for starter, Rednang with beef for main and a chocolate fondant for dessert. Worked out really well in my stomach :p

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Japes (Soho, London) - dubbed as first place in London to do authentic Chicago style deep dish pizzas. It was delicious, deep and absolutely packed with toppings and INCREDIBLY cheesy.

Soldato
Had one of the best meals ever in Valencia over the weekend. Visited a Sea Food restaurant called Crudo Bar and we tried a few different dishes which were all very very nice but particularly the Octopus which was absolutely amazing. I hadn't tried octopus before and because of it's appearance was slightly apprehensive, but the second i took a bite all apprehension disappeared! It was so good i ordered another Octopus as soon as I finished! We also returned a couple of days later tried a few more dishes but again had to have the Octopus!

http://imgur.com/YKnj3OQ

Last edited:
Soldato
The Box Tree, Ilkley, West Yorkshire. Lost its Michelin Star last year, a couple of years after the long-time head chef Simon Gueller left. He came back because the loss 'awoke' something in him. Quaint setting and decor, a little old-fashioned but not overly so. It was quiet, the only other diners (we could see) were a loud table of four seated right next to us. We had the Gourmand Menu, I had the wine flight, and she drove :cool:

Canapes served in the lounge next to a Yorkshire G&T. Parmesan sable with goats cheese, chive and onion at the front, and squid ink crisp with cod roe emulsion, asparagus emulsion, and roe powder. Both delish, with the cod roe tipping the scales of flavour and winning by a head:

neSCjzW.jpg

Next, at the table and bathed in evening sun pouring through the window, the amuse bouche, cucumber jelly with pickled cucumber balls and smoked salmon, cauliflower foam/spume/spaff/whevs, and dried cod roe powder. This was surprisingly delish and had lots of textures and flavours which worked best when you had a bit of everything. I'm not normally big on foam but it really maxed out the cauliflower flavour. Nice:

JUBP0Xf.jpg

The starter was a heritage tomato salad with feuille de brique pastry tube and parmesan custard with vinegar sorbet, lovage, sorrel, and sea truffle (the little black splodges). Amazing balance of sweet, sour, and saltiness. Crunch, softness, and creaminess. Perfect salad in every way. Amazing. Came with a Gewurtztraminer from SW France (unusually, normally from NE France/Germany). Dark yellow because of three years conditioning (not in oak) but very good choice with the salad. More minerally than normal Gewurz. Note the fresh sourdough in the back with marmite butter and local butter. Nom.

VMm4z9Q.jpg

They called it 'intermediate' and I call it the fish course. Scallop with apple and truffle, ham beignet, apple gel, and celeriac puree. The ham was fantastic but could have been a bit more generous with it, like the scallop. The missus always says they want to leave you wanting more. I certainly always do. Tasted fabulous, although the truffle was a little underwhelming. I suppose it must be from Aus at this time of year. Came with a Viognier-Roussanne from SA, which had light oaking and was peppery and floral. Very good dish:

CakVLUE.jpg

The main was salt-aged beef fillet with marrow-crusted cheek, mushrooms, onions, and cabbage. UNBELIEVABLE. AMAZING. OMG. How can cabbage be so good? The beef was very tasty for fillet and the (again minimal) cheek with marrow was heavenly. The mushrooms were fab, cep puree, braised morel, and tiny pickled japanese things. The onions were lightly roasted. Served with a fabulous Malbec/Cab Sauv (75/25) from Argentina, which was classy and fruity with no woodiness. Can not recommend more highly.

qlSdBmC.jpg

Pre-dessert was for palate-cleansing. Apple jelly with apple chunks, calvados granita (smashing flavour) and a beautiful mint creme fraiche. Booyah, brap, etc.

knE7Ipb.jpg

Dessert was a mango souffle with lime zest, served with a tangy pash fruit sauce. Souffle was fluffy and well-riisen. Came with a not-sickly-sweet dessert wine from Portugal (based on Riesling!) which matched perfectly. I prefer fruity puds rather than over-sweet ones, so I was in heaven the two on this menu:

eFuivR6.jpg

Had coffee and armagnac (at the sommelier's recommendation), a high-end Tenareze (usually considered a poor man's armagnac) which was eye-wateringly good. They brought chocolates from a cigar box, and she did the arrangement, I promise (even though I would have if she hadn't). We had already eaten a few by this time:

xZy0KEW.jpg

In summary, all the dishes were 9.5/10 or better. The best were the salad starter and the beef main. Both were perfect. The rest were just a tiny notch down somehow, maybe 9.5/10. They will surely get their star back at some point. The staff were exceptional and the sommelier was French and knew everything. We could have talked for hours. Not the most expensive tasting menu at £80 and the wine is worth it at £45. We will be going back.

Soldato
Thanks for the write up. We often visit my girlfriend's folks in Leeds and like a day out in Ilkley. I'd been debating going there for a treat one day. It's a lovely town, she wants to retire there :p

Associate
I spent a few days in Budapest last week for some dental treatment but the one day I could eat I went to a place called Blue Tomato and had some really lovely marinated duck breast with steak potatoes and pepper sauce, absolutely delightful.

Soldato
Going to try remember to take some pictures and upload some as in the next month ive got reservations for The Fat Duck, The Black Swan - Oldstead, The Pheasant Hotel and The Star Inn at Harome.

Very excited for the Fat Duck, i wanted to go 4 years ago for my 30th but they moved the restaurant out to Austrailia for 6 months so i did Restaurant Gordon Ramsay instead (it was excellent), i did The Black Swan last year too so i know roughly what to expect but it was excellent last time.

Back
Top Bottom