How much would you pay for the next gen consoles?

Soldato
I am much more likely to buy day one if it's got Back Compat++ like the X1X. I have a PS4 backlog so if I can just trade my Pro in and get a spec bump + 1/2 'next gen' games I will be all over it.

On the contrary for me to get the MS offering day one they need some mega exclusives, basically Halo Infinite is the only thing to make me go back to Xbox.

Soldato
I wonder if they will do something like a cheaper upfront price if you sign up to a gamepass scheme.

In today's age of get it now and pay an inflated price over a long period of time (see the new car debt culture) I can see that being popular

Good idea, but given they lose money on every device to sell software.....surely that's two bites of the same cherry?

It would be good if they did - just cant see it myself.

Its not like cars are sold for a loss like consoles (at least to start with)

some youtubers are saying back compat is only going to be for ps4 - I don't personally think that's true or its a complete cop out by Sony (one gen back compat is nothing , only because its the same hardware generally so should be back compat anyway - its only a "feature" if its through multi generations for me)

Associate
Until I know the full specs of the new systems I can't really say how much I would pay. I would suggest they brought them in at a sub £500 price point even if they initially sold at a loss.

Soldato
Given recent pricing trends of phones and tablets I would expect them to come in at over £500, I’m going to say £599 for the launch editions with a game/game pass sub.

Not that I’d pay that mind as I’m it in the market for one. Those saying £350 have seriously wishful thinking. PS3 launched for £425, PS4 was a just under £400 and Xbox 1 was just under £500. No doubt you actually had to buy the launch console as a bundle pushing the price up more.

Associate
Normally i trade in the previous console and whatever accessories has built up over time so suddenly a 4/500 console now becomes a £300 for arguments sake so i never truely feel the hit of a full new console

Soldato
Given recent pricing trends of phones and tablets I would expect them to come in at over £500, I’m going to say £599 for the launch editions with a game/game pass sub.

Not that I’d pay that mind as I’m it in the market for one. Those saying £350 have seriously wishful thinking. PS3 launched for £425, PS4 was a just under £400 and Xbox 1 was just under £500. No doubt you actually had to buy the launch console as a bundle pushing the price up more.
Yea thats my thinking too

Caporegime
It seems now that the cheaper second "Lockhart" box is not a thing any more. No concrete evidence, just gaming journalists weighing things up. So the main "Scarlett" box might be £449 or £499 now depending on what's inside. £599 would be too high for just a single SKU strategy, I think.

Soldato
AT £599 you'd still get the enthusiasts but you'd miss out on people (for instance) buying for their kids at Christmas. Even £499 would put many people off. Under £400 is the sweet spot but I just can't see them being able to get them that low unless they start taking a hit on the hardware. We all know that it's software not hardware which generates the most profit.

Unless of course they continue with their phone-like contract services. Didn't Microsoft roll out something like this recently? I remember reading about it about a year ago but it was US only? Could be a possibility with the costs getting so high.

Caporegime
AT £599 you'd still get the enthusiasts but you'd miss out on people (for instance) buying for their kids at Christmas. Even £499 would put many people off. Under £400 is the sweet spot but I just can't see them being able to get them that low unless they start taking a hit on the hardware. We all know that it's software not hardware which generates the most profit.

Unless of course they continue with their phone-like contract services. Didn't Microsoft roll out something like this recently? I remember reading about it about a year ago but it was US only? Could be a possibility with the costs getting so high.

i think your underestimating most people.

they spend £1400 on apple phones.

so £600 for a console is cheap.

they will just set up pay monthly plans for consoles from places like very. or get them on paypal credit.

Back
Top Bottom