Taking 8 month old baby on holiday

Soldato
Just landed this morning from Australia - taking our 3 year old and 3 month old out there. Luckily everyone on the plane was mature about the inevitable 'slight tantrum' on the 24 hour journey :)
I think I'd have a tantrum sat on a plane for 24 hours.

Soldato
We took our eldest to San Fran just before she was 2 years old and did a 3 week road trip. She was amazing throughout and fine on the plane. Obviously, every child is different and I know people who have nightmare children, of which I would never entertain the idea of taking them on long haul flight. What works for someone doesn't work for the next, you just need to be mature enough to understand if it's suitable for your kid or not.

Since he's been walking and running he doesn't like being restrained, so he'd be running around the whole time.

When he's bigger and we introduce screen time we can start doing longer flights. We'll definitely still travel as much as we can but it has to be relative to the comfort of doing so

Don
Since he's been walking and running he doesn't like being restrained, so he'd be running around the whole time.

When he's bigger and we introduce screen time we can start doing longer flights. We'll definitely still travel as much as we can but it has to be relative to the comfort of doing so

Yeah the iPad was a savour for keeping her entertained, plus we also had those cot things so you have more leg room so she played about with her toys on the floor.

Soldato
overhead locker for sub 2 year olds should be compulsory and straight jackets and leg restraints for those up to about 8 who kick seat backs and play touchscreen games with a hammer

I've gotta say i'm so glad that whenever we travel it's out of term times to avoid almost all children (at least school-age). I've had plenty of trips where some little **** is kicking the back of your seat, you give an angry glare at the parent and they don't bat a ******* eyelid.

Soldato
Traveling when the kids are at school usually helps to minimise exposure to other peoples mistakes. Noice cancelling headphones help but doest completly stop the screetching of the broodling though. If it were me i'd put different flights on those that need a cresh and those that dont.

Until that time ill do what I can to doze off dreaming of drop kicking the little ***** out the plane door hopefully followed by the parents

Permabanned
Trying to work out what we need and don't need. There are kid/family friendly hotels but they seem to cater for 1year and over with activity groups etc. As my daughter isn't old enough, I doubt we'd use many of the facilities that we'd be paying for as part of the room rate.

We used to just pick a rough area, then look on Airbnb for a place that looked interesting.

Any travel tips, were looking at Croatia at the moment.

Croatia.....???? Are you trying to sell the child or something? ;)

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Traveling when the kids are at school usually helps to minimise exposure to other peoples mistakes. Noice cancelling headphones help but doest completly stop the screetching of the broodling though. If it were me i'd put different flights on those that need a cresh and those that dont.

Until that time ill do what I can to doze off dreaming of drop kicking the little ***** out the plane door hopefully followed by the parents

Angry much? I'm very sorry to hear that mistakes you've made in life have led to you not being able to afford to fly business class (and fly sans creche as you dream of).

Associate
My Wife is traveling with our baby who'll be 4 1/2 months old in August & will be leaving from LHR .. She'll be taking our pram, I'm just wondering if it's advised I should bag this up in a travel bag or is it usually fine that the staff at the airport take it away to the hold at the point of checking tickets before going on the plane?

Soldato
Make sure you find a young couple or a single gent to sit next to on the plane with the baby, it will be hours of fun watching them squirm as the baby will inevitably cry due to cabin pressure changes

Associate
It's easy as long as you prep well.

Make sure the baby is tired for the flight and starting to get hungry, feed them on the plane and then let them sleep for the duration. Make sure you have a dummy or bottle so that the baby can balance the pressure in it's ears.

Once you've landed, it's like being at home but nicer and warmer.

Our daughter is 11 months and has been to Poland 3 times, Ireland twice and Turkey once. She is going to Poland again on Wednesday with her mum while I stay at home and do the DIY. Not once has she played up on a flight as we make sure she is tired and due a feed in time for take off.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Make sure you find a young couple or a single gent to sit next to on the plane with the baby, it will be hours of fun watching them squirm as the baby will inevitably cry due to cabin pressure changes

I deliberately reserved seats behind the 'extra leg room' wing exit seats so that we could annoy people who had paid more for their seats but unfortunately my daughter slept most of the flight.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
It's easy as long as you prep well.

Make sure the baby is tired for the flight and starting to get hungry, feed them on the plane and then let them sleep for the duration. Make sure you have a dummy or bottle so that the baby can balance the pressure in it's ears.

Yep, pretty much what we did - and she was great on both flights.

Mods - can we lock this thread now, holiday has been and gone - and I think all the people who want to call me awful for their imagined discomfort from being near a baby have had their say too.

Associate

Mods - can we lock this thread now, holiday has been and gone - and I think all the people who want to call me awful for their imagined discomfort from being near a baby have had their say too.

Great stuff! :)

Soldato

It's insane how entitled people are. It's public transport. If you don't want to slum it on a plane with families and drunkards, save up and fly private. Otherwise deal with the fact that's what travel is.

Back
Top Bottom