Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
"The_Abyss, post: 32780861, member: 60372"]None that I've seen, other than the 850 variant that still isn't clear if it is an XR or an RS. Based on past history BMW should launch the R next and then the XR, maybe announcing the latter near the end of 2020 for spring 2021 deliveries, but that's just guesswork. I'm saving in anticipation!

Cheers

Man of Honour
It's official I'm finally proper old, mrs asked me what I wanted for my birthday and so far my list contains a set of Wall drive sockets and a stainless bolt engine kit for the Bird.

Soldato
I gots a problem :(
Went to ride somewhere today on my YBR and turned the key. Normal engine light came on and off. Went to turn over the engine and it attempted to turn once then died.
Now I get nothing. No engine light, no neutral indicator light, pressing the start button doesn't do anything. I'm guessing it's the battery that's at fault?

Transmission breaker
Don
Or a dodgy earth lead/connection to the battery.
Check those first, then check the voltage at the battery.
Could be your reg/rec is knackered too. Or a dodgy stator... There are quite a few things it could be, either with the battery itself or the charging system, to a general wiring/electrical component failure.

Soldato
Or a dodgy earth lead/connection to the battery.
Check those first, then check the voltage at the battery.
Could be your reg/rec is knackered too. Or a dodgy stator... There are quite a few things it could be, either with the battery itself or the charging system, to a general wiring/electrical component failure.

I'll check that first tomorrow. I don't have a multimeter though. I don't know what reg/rec or stator is, so hopefully it's just something simple! Thanks. I'll update you tomorrow.

Soldato
Stator is a set of wire coils in the engine. When the engine turns it moves a magnet around the coils to create electricity (in AC form?). This is fed via 3 wires to the regulator / rectifier. As the name suggests this piece has two jobs (used to be separate bits of hardware years ago I think). The rectifier converts AC to DC power. The regulator tries to regulate the output voltage. Anything higher than x volts is cut down with the excess converted to heat. The power is then fed to the battery and beyond.

This is my understanding of it anyway.

Soldato
Ah, thanks for the info. So not something I can check myself.

I am the biggest numpty in the world....
Earlier in the thread, I said that when I checked the engine oil it was really really low, and I had to top up about 500ml.
I rechecked the oil today.. and wayyyyyyyyyy too much was in there. At first I was really confused :confused: then I realised it was on the centre stand.. which means when I topped it up before it must've been on the side stand.. :facepalm:
Thankfully I have only ridden it probably 10-20 miles max and hopefully not done any harm. I'll change the oil out tomorrow/Friday.

I was waiting for the rain to stop raining before checking the battery hence why the delay. I managed to get it started. Nothing looked 'off', although I didn't really know what I was looking for :D I checked the fuse, that was fine.
I saw that the positive contact was looking a bit rusty, so give it a quick wipe... and that seems to have done the job! :o
Something so simple?

8dade190-e8a8-4642-8c90-a9f37cc9faf3-original.jpg
c8477d68-118d-4792-9ccb-b432e26be5b6-original.jpg

I also changed the spark plug whilst I had stuff out. This was the old plug, about the right time to change or still got life left?

b96efd59-2275-479b-b9fc-82635b45b8d6-original.jpg

Caporegime
It's never too soon for a new plug. It's the cheapest way to eliminate a basic problem, which on a single cylinder bike costs £lol. For me the peace of mind is worth the few quid a plug cost. If the old one still worked fine it'd go in my bike somewhere as a spare.

I always gapped mine though, two strokes were always rather sensitive to this. Dunno if modern plugs need it or not.

Man of Honour
I was waiting for the rain to stop raining before checking the battery hence why the delay. I managed to get it started. Nothing looked 'off', although I didn't really know what I was looking for :D I checked the fuse, that was fine.
I saw that the positive contact was looking a bit rusty, so give it a quick wipe... and that seems to have done the job! :o
Something so simple?

Making sure your contacts are clean definitely helps but that one doesn't look terrible so it may well have just been a little loose and tightening it back down has fixed it.

Soldato
It's never too soon for a new plug. It's the cheapest way to eliminate a basic problem, which on a single cylinder bike costs £lol. For me the peace of mind is worth the few quid a plug cost. If the old one still worked fine it'd go in my bike somewhere as a spare.

I always gapped mine though, two strokes were always rather sensitive to this. Dunno if modern plugs need it or not.

Yeah only cost a couple of £. These are pre gapped so didn't need to do anything, I'll keep the old one though, in case of emergency. No underseat storage though!

Making sure your contacts are clean definitely helps but that one doesn't look terrible so it may well have just been a little loose and tightening it back down has fixed it.

Ok, I'm just glad that that was all that was wrong! :)

Man of Honour
Going electric MXing this evening. First time on an electric bike. First time MXing. First time on an engined two wheel contraption for 7 years. Yeah I'm GoPro-ing it. :D

How did it go? I'd love to have a go at something like that, no experience either but spent a lot of time on mtb during my teens.

Back
Top Bottom