4K Playback - NVIDIA Shield?

Associate
Hi guys

I downloaded a few 4K blu ray movies and wanted to watch them on my TV, but alas, Plex does not offer 4K videos.

If I got a Shield would I be able to enclose one of my old SATA SSDs in a USB 3 and watch them that way?

Could I set up the Shield to download torrents automatically?

Soldato
Hi guys

I downloaded a few 4K blu ray movies and wanted to watch them on my TV, but alas, Plex does not offer 4K videos.

If I got a Shield would I be able to enclose one of my old SATA SSDs in a USB 3 and watch them that way?

Plex can play 4K:confused: What format are the files in? If they are .iso then just use MakeMKV to err make an .mkv :D

Associate
I have Plex and can play 4k media - which also happens to be an early LG OLED.

Only issue I have is that playback requires a beefy processor - more than n54L provides - so just run another Plex server on my desktop for 4k content.

Associate
Hi guys

I only use Kodi, and don't use 4k media - but I'm pretty sure it supports it. Not sure if the Shield will be able to handle it though, that made need some exra research.

For downloading torrents, I'd recommend having your storage and automation on a seperate device from your media player. I run an N54L which has Unraid, this stores all my media, and also runs all my automated downloads (radarr, sonarr, lidarr, sabnzbd). I download with usenet, but these programs also support torrents.

Associate
Looks like shield can have external storage added but is formatted/encrypted in the process.
Torrent client can be installed on Shield by side loading.

Agree with above point about it having sufficient grunt - would definitely look into that further.

Would go back and try to get this working on Plex - it does work, I have standard Plex installed on my desktop playing 4k files via Plex app on LG Web OS on EF9500.

Associate
Your TV may be able to playback the videos directly via it's built in USB ports.
Why you'd want to do that when the Nvidia Shield is a dedicated 4K streamer with access to Netflix, Amazon Prime & Youtube in 4K?

You can (and I do stream) 50Gb 4K UHD rips c/w Atmos via my Shield & HP Microserver flawlessly over a 1GB Network

Colour space issue switching issue has been resolved on the latest FW IIRC

Soldato
I have an NV Shield and play 4K .mkv files via Kodi from a NAS without any trouble at all, including 7.1 Dolby Atmos encoded 4K Films. I have also played 4K files from USB.

Back
Top Bottom