GAME agrees £52m takeover by Mike Ashley's Sports Direct

Soldato
If you had a decent amount of trade-in credit at Game, what would you buy to turn that back into cash efficiently? I wonder if they let you buy gift cards with trade-in credit? Then I could exchange them online.

I was planning to wait for the next-gen consoles, but now I'm not so sure.

I see them hanging around for next gen as that's where they make the most profit. Which only happens every 5 years.

Caporegime
That's a shame I always enjoyed going in game even if it was just to browse it had a certain atmosphere which I always liked hope they keep the shops open near me

your post makes no sense.

so you used to just go in and browse and not buy anything. so you want them to stay open?

how do you expect a business to last with such loyal customers?

Caporegime
If you had a decent amount of trade-in credit at Game, what would you buy to turn that back into cash efficiently? I wonder if they let you buy gift cards with trade-in credit? Then I could exchange them online.

I was planning to wait for the next-gen consoles, but now I'm not so sure.

just go in and buy brand new ps4 pro's and punt them on ebay / gumtree.

Soldato
Worried for the staff, and hope for the best - but I expect there will be huge cuts.

As for GAME - not stepped in one for years, so personally won't miss them, if all the physical stores were to go. They priced themselves out of the market, and imo, the focus on customers changed from gamers, to parents/grandparents of gamers - and exploiting the confusion those groups have (charging more, pushing duluxe editions etc).

IIRC, the last time I stepped into a store, I laughed at the price they wanted for second hand games and walked out empty handed. sure I have some nice misty memories of buying games from them (and EB) in my teens - but there was no internet back then, so they didn't need to compete on price; other than a few quid from HMV or whoever.

Soldato
I used to like it in the 90s when it was electronics boutique :)

Blimey, that's a name I haven't heard for probably 20 years, Had one in Cwmbran which eventually turned into GAME, Think the last game we bought from Electronics Boutique was Final Fantasy X

I used to enjoy going into GAME and looking at all the new stuff, but ultimately I used to go to supermarkets or Argos as they always seemed to be like a tenner cheaper than GAME everytime, When GTA San Andreas came out, think it was like £40 in Game and Argos was selling it for £30.

Soldato
Last time I used a GAME store was to but an Xbox 360. They had a really good deal for one. Haven't used them since as they were always too expensive. Plus used games tend to be sold for more than new games :rolleyes:

Associate
I havnt bought anything from game in years.

Its no surprise that this has happened ;Most games are purchased online /downloaded online now.

Same with HMV surprised that is still going, won't be long and that will closing

No one buys cds anymore, new cars don't even come with a cd player! Haha and most new pcs don't have cd/dvd drives

Associate
Despite the higher price I generally like using them if I am after certain version of a game as I like collecting physical copies.
Their website is a lot better than shopto and customer service seemed alright when I had to call them about a delivery but I made slight mistake with assumption I've put in the correct address(got sent to my home address and not my GF address).
Recent example I bought Yakuza Kiwami 2 Steelbook edition for PS4 for £30 brand new which Amazon doesn't have anymore(or they do but sell it at higher price), other e-tailers don't have any steelbook editions left and only standard copy.
They sometimes sell steelbook the same price as standard pre-owned if they have it on the shelves and sometimes you may get lucky and even get a collectors edition for same price as their pre-owned copy.

Soldato
Despite the higher price I generally like using them if I am after certain version of a game as I like collecting physical copies.

That's a good point actually since GAME do tend to have certain exclusive "special editions" of games, Like when Kingdom Hearts 3 came out they had a special edition PS4 pro console which was only exclusive to certain shops around the world, and as such GAME got the exclusivity of selling that console in the UK, which I think is the first time in many many years I've bought something from GAME, probably my most expensive purchase ever from them also.

Caporegime
Having used them in the past, I can wholeheartedly say I will not be ever using them again.
Absolutely useless staff and management that do not know consumer law. I had to take a controller back due to it falling apart within a few days of purchase. They weren’t interested in helping me out at all.

Left and ended up getting it replaced by Microsoft without any hassle. All game staff kept saying is you should have bought the accidental damage insurance. Like why the **** would I buy one?? You don’t expect a controller to fall apart after a few days do you?? The new one has lasted over a year now so I get it things can break apart but surely within 30 days they should replace it.

Anyhow will never set foot inside their shops again.

Back
Top Bottom