• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Associate
The same way we can quantify that statement regarding EA I'd imagine. :rolleyes:

Don't give Nvidia ideas, last thing we need is micro transactions, buy the card for £800, then if you want to overclock it give Nvidia £50 and they give you a code to unlock it :p. I agree with you that Nvidia are becoming as greedy as EA, but as with the EA crowd, they keep on buying EA games, paying stupid money for packs (FIFA) and EA keep milking them and never improving the game. Its a sad state of affairs when we are paying over the odds for a graphics card due to the initial pricing structure, then the retailers bang 10 to 15 percent back on the cards when a new version is mentioned.

Associate
In some respects I cant work out the target demographic for these cards...

I've been thinking about this a bit recently what with the ever inflating prices over the last few generations. I made the point in my last post about top tier 980Ti being approx £570. The 1080Ti was around £800 at launch if not mistaken and the 2080Ti =>£1300? I understand people will always commit to spending money on their hobbies but that's pretty brazen business.

I can only really explain from my own preferred financial perspective but... If you include NVidia top tier cards being the 80 series and the Ti version following a couple months later. the 980 top tier equates to a 2070 now - in terms of price at least. If you compare benchmarks for the two the 2070 is approx 20-30% quicker in game.

All that really tells me is that within a space of 5 years and two generations, what was blleding edge is now only filtering down in to the upper end of mid range gaming and at very little difference in price.

Below the top two or three cards, there seems to be a unnecessarily saturated market for both AMD and Nvidia, personally (and this is probably because its not my area of interest) it seems like there are at least half a dozen GPUs all within a £100 to £150 price band (say £200 to £350) that all perform relatively similarly. At least that represents some variety for consumers and some level of competition in the GPU 'war'.

The irritating thing with that is that 1080P at 60Hz still seems to be the standard for gaming across consoles and PC and we've had that level of performance for years at a mid tier level.

I'm just angry tbh, i really wish AMD could bring something competitive at the high end and at least try to rein in this nonsense. I'd bite either of their hands off if there was a worthy 1080Ti successor at a more reasonable price. I think there'd be a lot more people jumping from mid tier to top tier as well if the price performance ratio was improved.

All conjecture and opinion, i cant back any of this up with a shred of actual fact.

Soldato
Sure you can but I’m at “work” at the moment. Won’t be in front of my gaming PC until 10pm tonight.

I’ll give it a go tonight and let you know though.

Might be worth posting a fresh topic asking people with non-standard BIOS on their 2080Ti’s if they are having problems too.
Nice one, I have a 2080, and that's why we thought it was a thing. He and I both have the same problem at the same time, one day overclocking works, 2 days later after a driver update it doesn't work half as good, rolling back didn't change it

Mobster
Soldato
I've never understood how people take so much of an interest or be so opinionated and judgemental as to how anyone else spends their own money.

Judging others doesnt define who they are, it defines who you are.

Soldato
Not to mention alienating consumers who bought said 4 figure card not knowing within 12 months another revision would come out faster than the one they just bought and to rub their noses further in it call it Super. Nvidia are heading for a fall.

This has always been their way, ask anyone who bought a Titan before the x80ti stole the show for half the price.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Nice one, I have a 2080, and that's why we thought it was a thing. He and I both have the same problem at the same time, one day overclocking works, 2 days later after a driver update it doesn't work half as good, rolling back didn't change it

Well I know that on the modest OC it’s set at now it boosts to 2115/8000, on the original Zotac BIOS with power limit set to 116% or 120%, I can’t remember what it is.

I’ve not had any problems since settling on those clocks months ago, and I game on it almost every night.

Can still flash it again tonight if you need me to but if you don’t, let me know as my me time is limited at night. :)

Associate
I've never understood how people take so much of an interest or be so opinionated and judgemental as to how anyone else spends their own money.

Who’s judging how anyone else is spending their cash? I don’t think I’ve seen comments targeted at users on here. We all have different incomes, outgoings and priorities, so how can anyone question why/how person x has afforded anything.

I thought the majority of recent comments were questioning the price structure of the RTX line and how it might influence future GPU pricings if the present prices become the norm, or worse still, that the next generation is a similar step up in price again. There’s always going to be elite level goods with eyewatering pricing, but the 10## -> 20## series almost seems like a shuffle up the ladder instead of typical inflation. 2080ti has taken the position of the old titan and that’s rippled down the line, with the new RTX Titan becoming a higher tier item again.

I guess we will see how the new Super range improves any performance/price ratio, but it’s still a little concerning.

But, those waiting for the next 30## gen cards – without competition, what’s stopping Nvidia sitting on the 20## cards for longer, like they did between 9## -> 10## series?

Soldato
Well I know that on the modest OC it’s set at now it boosts to 2115/8000, on the original Zotac BIOS with power limit set to 116% or 120%, I can’t remember what it is.

I’ve not had any problems since settling on those clocks months ago, and I game on it almost every night.

Can still flash it again tonight if you need me to but if you don’t, let me know as my me time is limited at night. :)
No need, just let me know if you with the latest driver can still clock the same.

Caporegime
The £500 push bike will get you where you need to go the same as the £1500 one, which is being generous looking at what I know people have spent on bikes, but some will spend 3-4k on a bike as it's their hobby and can afford it. I find it odd someone can post on a hobby forum and not fathom that everyone is working in a different budget bracket and we all spend what we want and can afford on our hobby. It's essentially sour grapes no matter how many times someone posts "I could buy 10 if I wanted".

Gibson is a guitar brand that have been around 125 years. Some of the finest guitars were made in the 50s and 60 and command high prices...some £100,000 up...

In the 70s and 80s and 90s quality dropped as the company got complacent...the prices remained high though and the company faced problems...this continued in the 2000s and Gibson tried to innovate and come up with some new designs...these were scoffed at by the guitar community and people voted with their wallets....they were no longer prepared to be fleeced by Gibson anymore so people stopped buying their guitars...Gibson faced bankruptcy but was saved from the brink by new investors...this lead to a new approach of respecting their customers and focusing on quality and standard designs again..the guitars that made Gibson great...

The consumer was implicit in this change...they had the guts to say enough is enough....it’s a shame people can’t do the same in the gaming community...and look at the bigger picture...products sell because people are willing to buy them...and ultimately allows the corporations to take the **** out of its customers....

I’m going to reward AMD for its innovation in the cpu sector...a stagnant market for a decade...I’ll be buying a 12/24 thread 3900x for the same price as a 8/16 9900k...

I’m voting with my wallet...NV don’t deserve 1300 quid from me for their silly 2080ti that will soon be dead by the super with probably even higher prices...

I’ll never be playing their game...

Last edited:
Caporegime

Because how a large group of people in a market spend their money, dictates the product that's delivered and how much it will cost. I can judge people on that rather easily as it's them that's making it possible, not the company (unless they're specifically doing shady things, like unfair competition, working with the competition to gouge)

Only have to look at the gaming industry to see the poor quality that unmitigated fandom brings.

At the end of the day the first and last customer is the shareholder, you're just a consumer, a number and if you continue to be their number, they don't care.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
Who’s judging how anyone else is spending their cash? I don’t think I’ve seen comments targeted at users on here. We all have different incomes, outgoings and priorities, so how can anyone question why/how person x has afforded anything.

I thought the majority of recent comments were questioning the price structure of the RTX line and how it might influence future GPU pricings if the present prices become the norm, or worse still, that the next generation is a similar step up in price again. There’s always going to be elite level goods with eyewatering pricing, but the 10## -> 20## series almost seems like a shuffle up the ladder instead of typical inflation. 2080ti has taken the position of the old titan and that’s rippled down the line, with the new RTX Titan becoming a higher tier item again.

I guess we will see how the new Super range improves any performance/price ratio, but it’s still a little concerning.

But, those waiting for the next 30## gen cards – without competition, what’s stopping Nvidia sitting on the 20## cards for longer, like they did between 9## -> 10## series?

spent 20 seconds finding post 1041 and 1044 for starters.

Mobster
Soldato
Because how a large group of people in a market spend their money, dictates the product that's delivered and how much it will cost. I can judge people on that rather easily as it's them that's making it possible, not the company.

Only have to look at the gaming industry to see the poor quality that unmitigated fandom brings.

Its funny how its always the ones that know nothing about people that have the most to say.

Back
Top Bottom