Replace case fans

Soldato
I have a Fractal Design Define R6 with the tempered glass side panel. It's currently fitted with two Fractal Design 140mm Dynamic X2 GP-14 fans for intake at the front of the case. For exhaust fans, there another two of those fans, one at the rear top and one one the roof of the case. My CPU is fitted with a 240mm Corsair AIO mounted in the roof of the case beside one of the exhaust fans.

I don't feel like the FD fans move a lot of air. Their max RPM is only around 1,000 and they have to pull/push air through filters in the front and roof of the case (the rear fan doesn't). Just wondering what recommendations you have to replace these fans. Would I be better with high static pressure fans because of the filters?

Last edited:
Soldato
You are correct, the Dynamic X2 GP-14 are almost worthless only having a pressure rating of 0.71mm H2O meaning they cannot overcome the resistance of grill and filter. I don't like case fans running at fixed speeded either, so always use motherboard headers for case fans so they are speed controlled by load/temps of motherboard components. Define R6 works well with just 2x front intakes wiht all openings not covered by fans blocked off so the air fans are pushing into case cannot leat back in front of them. I also recommend removing all PCIe back slot covers to increase the rear vent area and thus improve the front to back airflow around GPU and keep it's heated exhaust air moving back and out of case instead of up and around CPU cooler.

Good replacement fans are PH-F140MP 2-pack for £16.26. They have a prssure rating of 1.62mm H2O and are PWM controlled, so can be used with PWM control or variable voltage control.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/two-...140mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-003-pt.html

Soldato
OP
Never had Phantek fans before. After reviewing the ones on their website, I'm thinking I might go with the PH-F140XP. So you reckon I could be good with 2 of these at the front as intakes, no exhaust fans and remove the PCIe back slot covers?

Soldato
I'll see what these Phantek PH-F140MP fans that I've ordered are like. If they're not up to much, I'll add these to the list.
Look forward to hearing what you think of them. I suggest setting their speed curves to cycle with CPU and GPU temps. They are one of my favorite fans, and I have used/tested a lot of fans over the years. ;)

Soldato
OP
Look forward to hearing what you think of them. I suggest setting their speed curves to cycle with CPU and GPU temps. They are one of my favorite fans, and I have used/tested a lot of fans over the years. ;)
I will do anyway. I use Argus to control my motherboard fans as it allows me to tie the curve to the GPU temp. The Gigabyte software doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom